Postings by Primrose's Family

GO!

Cat Health > one of our kitties has diarrhea

Peeta

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '12 8:08am PST 
Thanks for the concerns,
The vet was unable to pinpoint what the problem was, but was also not concerned.
The vet said we are healthy kitties!
The fecal exam came back negative.
The vet told mommy and daddy that even though we're only 8 months old, we do not need to be on kitten food any more. She suggested slowly switching over to either Iams Sensitive Stomach or Iams Hairball, just in case that's what made one of us sick.
Mommy asked if maybe the treats we ate could have upset our stomachs, the vet said maybe, and that we shouldn't eat anything sourced from China because they put lead in their chicken!
We've been doing fine since then. No more messes (though before the vet appointment, one of us threw up.. mommy scooped that up and brought it to the vet too)
We started a new food, and mommy has been withholding our treats *pout*

The vet said if it continues, we could try an antibiotic, but she didn't think it was necessary.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Dec 31 8:44 am

Cat Health > one of our kitties has diarrhea
Primrose

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '12 7:56pm PST 
We noticed during the summer that there wasn't much in the litter box 2 days in a row. After a call to the vet we were told 1/2 tsp of pumpkin once a week. We tried it a few weeks and everything was fine.
Fast forward to now.. we started noticing some soft shapeless poop in the box. We have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes.. they pee in one and poop in the other. Yesterday while I was working, my boyfriend text me to tell me there was diarrhea on the floor. Worried I text a friend who works at a vet. She said it was probably nothing, but keep an eye on them. She also said to make sure their bellies looked normal and that their 3rd eyelid wasn't shut.

Both cats are eating, drinking, running around playing, grooming, etc

Today I came home and found more diarrhea in the kitchen. It's not liquid, but its also not normal solid poop.

I'm dropping off a sample to the vet on my way to work tomorrow. The girl I spoke to from the vet said they will probably want to see the cats depending on the fecal exam results.

Other strange things we've noticed that may be unrelated. Sometimes the female cat has a strange unpleasant order coming from her bum. Today after my male got off the chair I noticed a wet spot. I had to lean close to smell it, so I assume it was drool, not pee. Also today the girl started randomly sticking her tongue out.

One cat has soft poop the other is normal, but we can't seem to catch them in the act to see which pile belongs to who.
Both cats are 8 months old, and were already fixed when we adopted them. We brought the girl to the vet when we got her. The boy had been the week before. Both were in perfect health at the time (during the summer). They are both indoor cats. There haven't been any recent diet changes. They eat Iams kitten food (solid not canned) and have a water fountain which gets cleaned weekly (i sometimes notice what looks like mucus around the filter when I clean the fountain)

What might our kitty's problem be? I'm very worried about them.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Dec 31 8:44 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.