Postings by Lulu's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > anyone try fresh pet?
Izzi

Purred: Fri Sep 27, '13 6:05pm PST 
3/3 cats refused to eat the wet food AND the refrigerated kibble food. They looked at it and walked away.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by QGM Harlequin (Striped Seven), Oct 9 12:19 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat Trees! Help!
Izzi

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 9:22am PST 
I didn't know where else to put this topic >.>

I'm looking into getting a cat tree for my cats to hopefully stop them from climbing on top of everything else and so they have something to sleep on, scratch etc..

I don't know which one to get! I need something that is durable so they can scratch it and won't tip over/is big enough for a fat cat. I'm looking online since the pet stores seem to only carry a couple...

So I was wondering, do you have a cat tree? Which one did you buy (if it's online)? Do your cats like it?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 1 7:37 am

Cat Health > Obesity?!

MiMi

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '12 5:05am PST 
Thanks for the links! They are really helpful! I'm moving back in next week so I'm not going to be rehoming her. I finally just freaked out on my mother, as nicely as possible. She is now back to eating blue buffalo and she is no longer free feeding. MiMi looks better already. I've been coming home every weekend now to make sure that she is doing what I said to do. MiMi is being more active and her attitude is better (she was getting pretty grumpy). She went and sat on me and purred for the first time this summer. She had been going outside the box and that also stopped. It's amazing what a good food can do!

My mother still won't listen to me about the "treats" issue so... she's getting them taken away starting next week. I'm putting all of the cat stuff in my room so she can't dish any out while I'm at school.

I'm thinking that this whole situation is my mother "projecting" onto my cat. She is morbidly obese herself and when I was telling her to stop with the free feeding etc because MiMi was getting to be obese she was making excuses for her just like the ones she makes for herself. "She's just big boned!" (no) "She doesn't eat that much!" (yes, yes she does) "She's active!" (no she's not, no one plays with her when I'm not there).
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sootball , Aug 24 9:38 pm

Food & Nutrition > is cat food container

Lulu

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '12 4:56am PST 
I keep all the food in a container simply because if I just kept it in the bag the cats find it, put a hole in the bag, and eat it. It also keeps it fresh. I bought mine at Petsmart. It's purple and has wheels.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ramsey, Aug 25 5:28 pm

Food & Nutrition > 13 yr old REFUSES to eat Natural Food!

Lulu

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '12 4:54am PST 
Lulu is 13 and has only eaten meow mix and purina her entire life. My other two eat Blue Buffalo. I've been trying to switch her to a healthier food and she refuses! I was switching her slowly by mixing the healthy food into her purina which was working well, but when it got to be mostly BB she went on a dry-food strike that lasted until I gave in and bought another bag of purina. She won't even try new food now. I had a sample of wellness which she enjoyed but when I bought a whole bag she put her nose up at it. These are the brands I have tried:
Blue Buffalo (3 different varieties)
Wellness (all varieties)
Innova
Science Diet
Simply Nourish
Authority
It gets worse if the food doesn't contain grains. She won't even touch grain free wet food and she loves wet food! I feel bad because my other two are eating expensive high quality food and she's eating by-products and corn.

Has anyone else's cat done this? Do I just give in and buy her the other food? Help!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lulu, Aug 21 4:54 am

Cat Health > Obesity?!
MiMi

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '12 10:50am PST 
So... I updated the OP. Things have gotten really bad. I'm at my apartment again researching how to properly feed her... I can't find any sample food plans or anything. How often and how much should I be giving her? Right now she's free feeding and god knows how much she's eating because my mom just refills the bowl when it;s empty. The internet really isn't helpful, it just says to take her to the vet who will put her on an expensive prescription diet of bi products and corn. No. I'm hoping that switching her back to the natural food will help but... ugh. Does anyone know of any websites that are like weight watchers but for cats? And how do I stop her from eating everyone elses food?
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sootball , Aug 24 9:38 pm

Cat Health > Cat having nightmares, possible PTSD?

Izzi

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:52am PST 
I don't know if cats can really have PTSD, but it's the only way to describe my cats problem.

We've had her for almost 2 years. We got her from the shelter at 6 months old, she had been there for most of her life and was a stray. We don't know anything about her life before we got her.

She has nightmares. It got worse after my boyfriends dog came to visit- my other cat was raised with the dog and they are friends. Izzi saw the dog and completely freaked out, she's usually the calmest cat ever.In her nightmares she twitches constantly and cries. She sleeps with me so I talk to her when this happens and that usually works. She sometimes wakes herself up and looks around the room, scared to death, then realizes that she's in my house and goes back to sleep.

She also has a huge fear of random things. A few things are: black trash bags (only black ones, no issues with white) belts, ANY sounds or sudden movements, storms... If she's left alone, or if she think we left (like if I'm in the other room and she doesn't know it) she cries, like a baby. She has horrible motion sickness, she has to take medication every time because without it she cries, pants, and gets so upset that she ends up soiling the carrier.

She's been to the vet, everything is healthy physically. I told them about the dreams and they said cats dream like humans do... is there anything I can do to make her less skittish? If she was a person I'd take her to a therapist but I'm pretty sure they don't have them for cats =P. Has anyone else had a cat like this? She is my first and only shelter cat so I don't know if any of this is common behavior.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Luna, Aug 10 5:35 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Cat from Hoarder pooping outside of box.

MiMi

Purred: Tue Jul 31, '12 9:48am PST 
Zoey, I watch that show all the time! It's really a helpful show. If it isn't her past affecting her then it must be something my mother is doing. I haven't tried kitten attract yet. I always keep the box really clean, she has two just for her, they are both uncovered. My mother is really bad with the cats. Now that you mention it, it probably is something that she is doing. The first thing she did was take away one of MiMi's litterboxes because it was "easier to deal with". I was home last weekend and put it back. After I posted this I asked her about how often she changes it, etc... I told her how to use the clumping litter but she's not doing it right. She fills it to a depth of about 2 inches and then doesn't clean it, she just dumps it after a couple days. I was wondering why she was going through 20+ pounds of clumping litter in a week. She's quite possibly the worst pet babysitter ever. I gave her money for food, I feed her Blue Buffalo. She went to Target and picked up 32 pounds of cheap food for 10$ because it was on sale. She also throws treats at them, MiMi has also developed a major weight problem in the month she has been watching her. Wow, it definitely is something she's doing. But like I said, she would randomly do it before I left too. I wanted to rule out the possibility that she could have PTSD or something from living in that house. She gets along really well with my other cats, my two year old and her are like sisters. I got them 6 months apart but they cuddle and are really close.

I'm going to be moving back in mid-August. My mother is horrible. She has a mental disorder but refuses to get help for it. I'm 21 and unfortunately unable to move out permanently for another 9 months to a year. She feels that any mess the cats make is my problem- when I come home there's paper towels everywhere- she doesn't pick up the throw up/hair balls. It's hard to clean up after them when I'm only home a couple times a month! My dad is really good with the cats though and takes care of them. plays with them. About her weight problem- I bought a slow feed bowl and had it shipped to her, she says it's working which is really great. Hopefully she's not lying.

Bella, yeah, we're getting rid of the carpet. It is an old gross carpet anyway so I have to admit I'm kind of happy about it. I have a bottle of Nature's Miracle "Urine Destroyer" but it doesn't seem to work very well. I'm going to have to get a black light like in "My Cat From Hell", maybe I'm just not getting it all. She's good with the other cats, my mother is the one stressing her out. I'll definitely look into getting the Feliway, I also give her the GNC stress treats (unfortunately they are here with me, at my apartment, not helping her much.) and they work but they kind of knock her out. I still live my parents and they get along with the cats, I thought they could handle watching them. They watch my sister's human children, no way would I let them if I was her!

Once I move back I'm going to try to get them back on the feeding schedule with the right food, get the litter boxes sorted out... if she's still having the problem I'm going to try the kitten attract litter.

Thanks for your help!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ZOEY, Jul 31 11:14 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Cat from Hoarder pooping outside of box.

MiMi

Purred: Mon Jul 30, '12 8:42pm PST 
I brought home my youngest at 4 weeks old. The house she was living in was full of animals. She was one of twenty kittens, 5 cats, 6+ dogs, rodents, horses, etc. There was no litterboxes, the dogs also went in the house. She smelled so bad for the longest time. We gave her kitten milk until she was old enough to eat dry food. She taught herself how to use the litter box the day we brought her home. She was fine for months then randomly peed on her kitty bed. She kept doing it so we threw it out. So she peed on our bed. A lot. Then it stopped. Now shes one year old and goes in the litterbox, but randomly poops in the same spot. I haven't been home, my mother has been watching her, and I came home to a HUGE pile of poop in my room. HUGE. I have to rip up the carpet now. It's completely destroyed. I put a litterbox in the spot where she kept going and it worked while I was there but my mother said she's pooping other places in the room now.

She's been to the vet. I brought up the fact that she was born into a hoarding situation, maybe that has something to do with it. The vet (who is a total jerk, I have a new one now) rolled his eyes and said "no, you're just doing something wrong."

Is it possible that living in that environment, even for a short period of time, messed her up? Does anyone have any advice? I've added more litterboxes, haven't changed the litter (the last time I did that she refused to use the box period) I've started covering the areas she goes often with cardboard. Help?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ZOEY, Jul 31 11:14 am

Cat Health > Obesity?!
MiMi

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '12 2:00pm PST 
I've tried telling her to switch to wet too, she insists that it is "too high in protein and will cause kidney and liver problems". I thought Lulu (my 13 year old) had diabetes because her back legs weren't working right and it looked exactly like the diabetic neuropathy. We had her tested and she luckily just has arthritis and is on meds for it. I blamed it on the cheap dry food and she was screaming about how $10 a bag isn't cheap... she's hard to deal with. She never listens to anyone. When I'm home I feed them a mix of dry and wet, my Izzi doesn't really care for wet food.

The timed feeding dispenser is a good idea! I'll have to look them up. She has one of the treat toys somewhere but it doesn't work too well, I'll look for a better one.

Thanks for the reply and websites kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sootball , Aug 24 9:38 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.