Postings by Casper's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > Need help with cats that need to lose weight.
Angel

Purred: Thu Jul 5, '12 11:11am PST 
"High protein diet" as opposed to what kind of diet? Cats are obligate carnivores and don't digest carbs, so feeding kibble can make it harder for cats to lose weight.

Ever since we switched to an all canned diet (Weruva chicken flavors and all flavors of flaked Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet) five weeks ago, Angel and Gidget have lost weight. Demon initially lost weight as well, until he started hanging out in the kittens' room where they have free-fed kibble (they're only 4 months old) and eats their food -- now he has gained half a pound. Angel, Demon and Gidget split a 5.5 oz can between them, twice a day. All are ready to eat at meal time, and only Demon begs for food between meals.

Now that Angel has lost a little over a pound, she is more social and spry, and she likes to play again.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Starbuck, Jul 18 8:59 pm

Kitten Corner > Kitten food at four months old
Abby

the grey tabby- of the family

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 4:14pm PST 
For our four month-olds (who are both a little underweight), our vet said that feeding wet food twice a day (split a 3 oz can between them) and free feeding dry was best. She said to stop free feeding dry food when they are around 6 months old, giving them a measured amount instead. She said to go by how they look/feel: (still able to feel their ribs, no sign of their abdomens starting to get a little big, etc.).
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jun 24 4:14 pm

Cat Health > advice on worms

Angel

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 3:56pm PST 
There are no good over the counter dewormers, and you shouldn't give a cat any kind of medication without knowing for sure what kind of worms they are.

The best thing you can do for Peanut is to have her spayed. When you trap Peaunut to get her spayed (TNR), maybe you can have the vet use a topical dewormer at the same time. Or, if you have a good relationship with your veterinarian, maybe you can take a stool sample and get the appropriate oral dewormer from your him/her that you can add to their food.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tigger, Jun 24 8:56 pm

Kitten Corner > How to Introduce a new Kitten?

Demon

now a total- sweetheart

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '12 6:56pm PST 
Please don't be worried that this won't work out! You know your cat better than some website, right?

I think the "don't get a kitten as a playmate for an adult cat" thing is more about older cats who are used to being an "only cat" or a cat like my sister, Angel (she's like a grumpy old auntie). We are about two years old. I think the kittens would really annoy Angel if they didn't have each other to play with; but I love playing with the new kittens! The first few times I went in to visit them in their room, they really annoyed me. I even had to gently swat them and hiss at them a couple of times to teach them some manners. Now I love spending time with them and wish they could be with me all the time.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Belle, Jun 17 11:06 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Feeding a homeless cat an act of compassion?

Demon

now a total- sweetheart

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '12 3:28pm PST 
When our pet parents bought our home three years ago, they inherited a feral cat colony with it. Our daddy loves animals so much that he wanted to feed all the kitties. Mama, however, said the kitties had to be 'fixed' if they were going to be fed. So far, our pet parents have rescued 8 kittens (rehomed 3 and kept 5 of us over the past couple of years) and TNR'd 10 adult outside kitties. They even built a cat shelter in our backyard so the outside kitties have somewhere warm to sleep with it's really cold.

We think the BEST thing you can do for homeless cats is to get them fixed so they don't fight and/or keep having litters of kittens. Google can help you find a local rescue organization that should be able to teach you how to TNR and put you in touch with vets who will work with feral kitties (neutering them, helping them when they are sick/injured). Google can also help you find a low-cost clinic that should make nuetering feral kitties more affordable. Kitties will keep coming around if there is a constant supply of food. If you aren't prepared to take responsibility for the homeless kitties, the kindest thing for you to do may be to NOT feed them and let them find someone who will take care of them.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Belle, Jun 14 6:53 pm

Kitten Corner > How to Introduce a new Kitten?
Demon

now a total- sweetheart

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '12 3:08pm PST 
Here is a link to a website that has great advice that our pet parents have used to successfully integrate us three older cats. They are currently using the steps from the website to integrate the two kittens into the family (even if the two older girl cats aren't ready to be nice to the kittens yet).

http://wvcats.com/integrating_kittens_with_cats.htm

First, let me say that us boy cats tend to take to kittens better than girl cats. Our cat doctor says they 'think' too much. Second, it could take a while to fully integrate a kitten with a cat. I was playing pawsies under the door with the kittens within a couple of days, but it's been two months and my two sisters still hiss and growl when they see the kittens.

I would keep the kitten isolated in a room for a couple of days to let him get comfortable in his surroundings. This also lets the cat get used to smelling him under the door. For the second step, our pet parents put towels rubbed on the kittens under our food bowls to help us associate their smell with yummies. They also use baby gates across the door to keep the kittens from rushing out and to let us look at them without us being able to touch them (and hurt them).

I am on Step 9 and my pet parents would let me be on Step 10 if it weren't for my cranky sisters. They are on Step 5 and still hiss and growl when they see the kittens, so we have to go at their pace.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Belle, Jun 17 11:06 pm

Kitten Corner > Ferral Kitten - need advice

Gidget

aka 'Gossamer'

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '12 2:45pm PST 
First, all of our five cats (well, three cats and two kittens) are 'former ferals' who were brought inside at various ages as kittens (Angel & Demon were around 12 weeks old, Gidget was around 8-9 weeks old, and Abby & Casper were 6 weeks old). Angel is very aloof, Demon is his daddy's constant companion, Gidgt is mama's shadow, and Casper & Abby are still being integrated into the family. My husband works 10 hour nights and I work 12 to 24 hour shifts. The key for us is a regular feeding schedule and spending as much time with them as we can -- even if we're exhausted.

How old is M&M? The younger they are, the easier they are to socialize. The fact that he rubs against you, curls his tail around you, wants him to pet you and flops down to show you his tummy (all signs of affection and trust) tells me that he has started to be socialized with you and would probably do very well with you indoors.

If you do decide to bring him inside, I would suggest keeping him inside all the time. The scratching, biting and chewing are more behavioral issues than 'feral cat issues'.

What are you doing when he bites and scratches you? Does it seem to be more when you play or does it seem to be more aggression?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gidget, Jun 10 2:45 pm

Cat Health > Kittens with Soft Poops

Abby

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '12 8:04pm PST 
I wasn't feeling better after a couple of days, and neither was my brother Casper. Mama saw those long, white spaghetti worms again, so she talked to the cat doctor again. She thinks we might also have tapeworms that our mama hasn't seen, so we got Profender yesterday. Casper is feeling much better already and his poops are solid again. Mine still aren't, but I'm still on the other medicine the doctor gave me (Albon/Amforol). The cat doctor says those worms have probably done a real number on my insides, and I think she's right. I should be okay soon (I hope).
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jun 9 8:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Kittens rushing the door

Casper

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 12:12pm PST 
My sister, Abby, and I are 13 weeks old. We have lived with our new family for almost two months. We stay in 'the kitten room', separated from the adult cats because our two 'aunties' still hiss and growl at us.

When we were younger, we would rush the door whenever our humans would open the door to come in. Mama put a baby gate across the doorway, but we learned to climb that really fast. Now mama leaves the door to the room open and there are baby gates stacked floor-to-ceiling in the hallway so we can see more of what's going on in the rest of the house and the big cats can see us more, and hopefully get more used to us. Whenever our humans come to the baby gates, we rush the gates, climbing and trying to get out. Mama says she doesn't want us to get out yet. She says she's 99% sure that our buddy Demon wouldn't do anything to hurt us, she's not sure about our Angel and Gidget since they still sometimes hiss and growl at us through the gates. Abby weighs just over 2# and Angel weighs 17# (mama says it's an unfair match-up). Also, mama says part of our house isn't 'kitten proofed' yet. We just get lonely and are excited to see our new family, and we just want to explore the rest of the house and play with our buddy Demon (who comes in to play with us every day).

Using the laser pointer sometimes works, but not all the time (we're onto her). Mama thinks there should be a way to keep us from rushing the baby gates and trying to escape whenever they are opened, something that doesn't involve squirting water at us and/or making loud noise (Abby is shy and skittish).

Can you help?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 6 2:54 pm

Cat Health > Kittens with Soft Poops
Abby

Purred: Mon Jun 4, '12 12:34pm PST 
I was so scared at the cat doctor today, even though she's really nice and loves kitties. The best part was the end of the visit when I got a purple spider toy to play with!

The doctor thinks the two doses of dewormer should have gotten rid of the worms, but that all those worms have probably really irritated my insides and caused them to be a little inflamed and swollen. She also said that the dewormer could have irritated by tummy even more and caused the loose stools. She wants me to take Albon/Amforol for 10 days and told my mama to add a special kibble to what I already eat to add fiber to my diet for the next 10 days. Our mama hasn't switched our diet since we came to live inside -- until a couple days ago when she put us on a 'bland diet' -- so she's a little hesitant about adding this new kibble.

The good news is that my brother, Casper, got a clean bill of health. And a really cool red spider toy!

I just hope my tummy and bottom start feeling better soon. kitty
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jun 9 8:04 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.