Postings by Pickles- ADOPTED!!!!'s Family

GO!

Behavior & Training > Cats Urinating in the House *Last Options*

Bitz

I haz thumbs!

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '12 6:28pm PST 
Some tips:
A trip to the vet. Always rule out medical before blaming behavorial.
Have 1 more litter box than you have cats. If you have 2 cats, have 3 litter boxes.
Clean the boxes several times a day. Some cats will refuse to use a box "dirtied" by another cat.
Have both covered and un-covered boxes. Some cats will only use one type.
Make sure at least one box is in a very quiet spot in the house, so they won't be disturbed.
Try different litter types, sometimes the cat doesn't like the texture, smell, or shape of the litter.
Try Feli-Way diffusers throughout your home. They really can make a huge difference.
Use positive reinforcement every time you see the cat in the box. A special treat, a spoon of canned food, big pets... whatever the cat likes best. Create a positive association with using the box.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Boxie Brown Forever, Nov 1 4:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Containment ?
Bitz

I haz thumbs!

Purred: Tue Oct 16, '12 7:08pm PST 
The new house we are moving into has a really nice indoor/outdoor dog run. Enclosing the top of the outdoor kennel portion isn't really an option since 2 sides of the kennel are the house, and there is a large tree growing in the middle. I'm concerned with keeping the cats contained in the kennel, as I have no intention of letting them roam the city. Any suggestions on keeping the cats (ok, just the one really, the other couldn't climb a fence if his life depended on it...) from climbing over the fence? I have the tree part figured out. I plan to use sheet metal around the trunk, similar to what you use to keep squirrels off.

Any suggestions welcome! I would really love to use the dog run (for the dogs) the way it's intended. I just want to keep my cat (that thinks she is one of the dogs) from being able to leave the kennel.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tigger, Oct 20 2:04 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.