Postings by My Family

GO!

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

Ravage

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:08am PST 
Working in a shelter environment, I have definitely noticed high surrender rates of declawed cats, with consistent references to inappropriate urination or biting. I do not feel that it makes these cats unadoptable, nor that this should discourage adopting declawed animals, however; it simply means that the new owner needs to be educated on some of the problems associated with declawing, and know how to control and modify these behaviors.

Declawed paws ARE mutilated paws, period; many declawed cats, especially as they age or if they are overweight, need some manner of pain management to deal with the effect that walking abnormally has on their joints. Much of the biting, in my opinion, is less that the animal feels it has no defense and more that they are chronically uncomfortable. I have seen simple weight loss and pain management work wonders on declawed cats with bite histories.

Similarly, while inappropriate urination may be more common in declawed cats, it is often simply a matter of finding a litter that is more comfortable for them to use, and also working on the problem behavior instead of simply throwing one's hands up and assuming it is hopeless.

I had a customer who was contemplating having her geriatric declawed cat euthanized due to inappropriate urination after the addition of carpet to the household. I asked a barrage of questions about the cat's health and changes to the household environment; while a vet had thoroughly examined the cat for kidney and urinary problems, he didn't consider pain management for an animal that, at her age and being declawed, probably had arthritis. Considering that the carpet may have been a more comfortable surface to stand and make waste on, I suggested they try some pain and joint supplements - and recently heard back that this paired with behavior modification had stopped the inappropriate urination.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 10:51 am

Food & Nutrition > Whats the best brand of dry cat food?
Lord Thunder- Puncher

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '12 5:56am PST 
In terms of ingredients, I feel that Orijen is the best quality dry food on the market. We feed our cats a variety of foods, including a small portion of dry, and I am highly satisfied with Orijen compared to virtually every dry food on the market. I think it is a great option for someone who has a cat that resolutely refuses to consume raw or wet foods (they do exist!) when paired with means to encourage drinking more water.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 3:29 pm

Behavior & Training > My two cats flip out at feeding time, but why?

Ravage

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:09pm PST 
My cats are the same way; one was a kitten from the tornadoes that ravaged Alabama last spring, and the other was a stray. They go aggressively insane every feeding time despite being a great body condition and getting a combination of Orijen, grain-free canned, and supplemental raw. They have beautiful coats and perfect body condition, but they are just psycho about food and also steal and eat ANY food they can find - not just meat, but bread, bird seed, fruit, you name it. It is driving me insane, so I'm interested to see if anyone has answers.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 5:15 pm

Behavior & Training > Cat attacking new puppy

Lord Thunder- Puncher

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:33am PST 
Our cat Lord Thunder Puncher is not pleased about the newest addition to our household, a 10 week old puppy. We knew he would not adjust as well based on his reaction to our last foster dog, but while he would simply hiss and run from the dog unless he felt cornered by it, he follows the puppy around. If the puppy turns around or approaches him, he attacks. He also attacks if the puppy approaches the water bowl, and heaven forbid we try to feed everyone in the same room.

I've never had to introduce cats and dogs before, so if anyone has any tips for smoothing the process, that would be great. The puppy loves cats and gets along great with our other kitty, Ravage; they play and she is very gentle with him despite already well outweighing both of them at 17lbs. She never reacts aggressively to Thunder Puncher's assaults, just takes off running, which I'm sure reinforces his bad behavior.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 3:33 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.