Postings by Corbin's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Cat Health > Kitty Wet the Bed...
Mocha

Purred: Fri Mar 8, '13 12:15am PST 
Is it possible that she's drooling or possibly your husband was sweating due to the contact of two warm bodies? These are problems we have with our elder-cat Mocha. We thought, at first, that she was 'leaking' but it turns out that she simply drools in her sleep now.

Smell it, if it's urine, you'll know!

Also, I've had instances where my big boy, Korbin Dallas, will snuggle up against me, and I'll find that I've sweated where his body touches mine.

Either way, good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Oliver, Mar 10 9:54 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Ant Extermination
Mocha

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 4:04pm PST 
I put cheap ground black pepper in all of my window sills, outside door jams, and will often line the foundation with it as well. It's worked wonders. I usually do it just as it starts to warm up; before the ants make it in. However, when I first started doing this a few years ago, we had a horrible ant problem in the house and I located where they were entering, and then put the pepper around that area to 'corral' them in. At that point, I started working on getting the ants inside the house taken care of. A lot of vacuuming took place, and I just kept an eye out for new infestations. We've been ant free for going on four years now.

So far, it's work on about three different ant species including red ants and the sugar ants.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Isabelle, Jul 19 12:11 pm

Cats & Travel > cat tranquilizers and traveling

Mocha

Purred: Wed May 9, '12 12:54pm PST 
I just made a 10 hour drive with Mocha which included an overnight stay at a hotel. I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it turned out alright. I did dose her with Rescue Remedy, though. Instead of using a standard cat carrier, we got a medium sized floppy-foldable-kennel from Walmart for $16. There was enough room for a small litter box w/out a lid, food, water, and room for her to lay around in. I did put her in a kitty harness with leash as well as a collar and ID tag.

She meowed for a little bit, and got carsick once (windy roads), but otherwise, it was an incredibly uneventful trip. I did have a couple of towels in there for her too.

When we got to the hotel, I let her out and about and she did fine. I really think it had to do with the fact that she wasn't as cramped up and such from the standard carrier.

The trip back home went even smoother! No Rescue Remedy, just put her in the kennel, and she did amazing! No meowing, and she even ate, drank, and used the litter box!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chiquitita, May 19 6:28 am

Food & Nutrition > Budget cut!!! Affordable canned food?

Mocha

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 1:30am PST 
Ditto on the Friskies! It's all that we can afford right now. It's pretty much all my three eat at the moment, and frankly, they're doing great. I stay away from ALL fish flavors, and do my best to stay away from fish as a general ingredient. I buy the big cans of Friskies at Walmart for about $0.80 each. I will also feed Fancy Feast on occasion, but it's very expensive for us.

When I was originally transferring a short term foster over to wet food for his diet (he was a very obese 27#), I spoke to my vet about what he suggested. He said that in the research he'd done for his own cats, he felt that that the best wet food was kitten food as it tended to be higher in protein, and had a significantly better carb to protein ratio.

I've noticed in our house, when I get kitten food it seems to last them longer and I find myself feeding less. That's just us, though. The bulk of their food is adult, though.

For any naysayers, Mocha is on a 'special diet' for idiopathic hypercalcemia and Friskies is one of the only brands she can eat due to the lack of heavy duty chemical acidifiers. Also, she just had a full panel done yesterday and her bloodwork came back perfect! "Top Shelf" foods aren't always Top Shelf!
[notify]

» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Chloe, May 22 7:58 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kitties with Hyperthyroidism, I gots a quicky question

Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 9:10pm PST 
@Bumpurr Have at it! I tend to steer clear of those FB sites as everyone gets a bit... grumpy. Don't even care if you use names!

@Shadow Hmmm... good to know. I feed mostly big cans of what I can find mostly due to cost. Maybe I'll start rotating in more BG. It's hard to find info on which brands use what! Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mika, Mar 31 11:47 am

Food & Nutrition > How much water to sneak into kittys canned food?
Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:31pm PST 
I add enough water to all of our wet foods to make them soupy. I have one cat who is having early issues with her kidneys (under control now w/out meds or special 'prescription' foods), and I also have a new young male kitten. The extra water helps both of them, one with the kidneys, the other with potential crystals (trying to avoid them at al costs).

Cats don't have a thirst reflex like us or dogs, so by the time they're actually drinking water they're really quite dehydrated. With my kidney kitty I keep an eye on her water intake. If I find that she's drinking more water than usual, I start adding more water to her food.

Cats are designed to get the majority of their 'water' from the moisture in their food so my thought is that they'll have a better absorption rate if the water is included in their food.

With Corbin, our new boy kitten, I try to feed primarily raw and when I'm able to do that, he doesn't drink out of the water bowl at all. I noticed this also with one of our other cats as well as the dog. The only time anyone really would drink out of the water bowl would be on exceptionally hot days.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mocha, Mar 19 3:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kitties with Hyperthyroidism, I gots a quicky question

Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:22pm PST 
According to my vet, he says that the food from SD is a joke. He's of the opinion that it's going to cause more problems than it MIGHT potentially help fix. His feeling is that the food will strain various organs and that this is just a fad to make money. In the 30+ years he's been in practice he's seen so many 'prescription diets' that just end up causing more problems than anything else. He feels that for some people, the prescription diets work. His thought is that cats fed this diet are still going to be hyperthyroid, but their numbers might drop a little. Unfortunately, people will think that this is 'fixing' the disease and will end up with cats who are tachycardic, and have serious heart problems, as well as numerous other health problems related to the diesease.

In my research from when Mocha was diagnosed the cheapest treatment, in the long run, is the radioactive Iodine treatment (I-131). However, medication is the other alternative for most cats. It's cheap (both the pill and transdermal form) and works incredibly well. Mocha was one of the minute percentage that couldn't tolerate the medication in any form and almost died, so we spend our tax return on her I-131 treatment. We began to notice a change in her behaviour, appetite, and general health within the first week.

I would really recommend that she stay AWAY from the prescription food and focus on just putting her cat on a good quality food. All of mine are fed wet and raw. When I buy wet food I stay away from anything with fish or kelp on the ingredient label (no way to measure how much iodine is in the kelp), and I also buy the big cans as often as possible as there are studies that are coming out (can't find them at the moment) that are showing that the lining/film on the inside of the pop-top cans contains BPE's, or something like that, and that they're seeing a significantly higher rate of hyperthyroidism in cats fed from those cans. The suggestion is to buy the bigger cans as that means that less food is coming into direct contact with the inside coating.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mika, Mar 31 11:47 am

Food & Nutrition > Fancy Feast Classics

Mocha

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 12:28am PST 
For my guys, my rotation is:
Friskies (Turkey & Giblets, Mixed Grill, Poultry Platter)
Wellness (Turkey, Chicken)
Fancy Feast Classics (Kitten, Chicken, Turkey)
Before Grain (Chicken, Turkey, Quail)
Petsmart Authority Brand (Various flavors)

The bulk of their diet is actually Friskies since Mocha is on a special diet for her IHC (can't have acidifiers, or fish). I try and rotate in the good stuff as much as I can, but feeding three cats all wet with one of them a growing kitten - it gets freakishly expensive.

When I get back from taking Mocha to Oregon for her radiation treatment, the other two cats will go on a primarily raw diet, but Mocha will remain on the wet. In that case, I'll probably be feeding mostly Before Grain and Wellness.

I, personally, don't see any issue with having the bulk of their diet as Friskies as I feel it's a HUGE improvement over kibble. I do hold onto the labels for a few weeks, though, due to the rash of recalls in the last few years, but I do that with all of my animals and their food!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Gummi, Mar 15 7:57 am

Cat Health > Are dental x-rays needed with an extraction??

Mocha

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 12:22am PST 
It depends. If she's had that many teeth pulled, then there might be some concern regarding the density of the jaw bones. In that case, then I would go ahead with the rads. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

In my experience, feline dentals/extractions are more expensive than dogs simply because it's a smaller area to work in and when extracting teeth, it's very easy to run into problems (not trying to scare you!) so it's more difficult and generally takes a bit more time.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Isabelle, Mar 5 12:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > BG canned quality problems???
Corbin

Multipass?

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 11:54am PST 
Wow! Nice customer service! I opened the last of my cans of BG as well and I haven't seen any of those lumps. I won't worry too much, now, if I do see some.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥Kally Kat♥, Feb 25 12:10 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.