Postings by Egon & Astrid's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Kitten Corner > Litter training a stubborn kitten
Egon &- Astrid

Life is made for- loving.

Purred: Sun May 5, '13 4:57pm PST 
I don't know why, but our new kitten doesn't want to pee in the litterbox. JUST peeing, she hops in to poop just fine. But she will pee all over the place under my desk (She is currently kept in my office) rather than in the litterbox. I barricaded off all of the places she was peeing, so she peed on my lamp and in front of the litterbox instead of in it.

She is 10 weeks old (We got her at 9 weeks) and is eating and drinking regularly. When we take her downstairs for her socialization she either doesn't potty or pees in the corner by the stairs (No poops) even though we've shown her the big downstairs litterbox. Every time she pees I take her back upstairs and put her in her litterbox.

I've just put some of the adult cat urine into her litterbox in the hopes it will convince her to pee in it.

What can I do about this?

(EDIT: Hoping to bring this to Catster staff attention: the Catster forum system wouldn't let me post this post until I spelled socialization with a Z instead of an S. I'm Canadian. It's an S!)
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Egon & Astrid, May 5 4:57 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Whisker City fountain filter options?
Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 1:00pm PST 
I can't find anything!

I bought my cats a Whisker City small fountain last month. They love it! It was getting a bit noisy, so I figured I should change the filter. I went to PetSmart and bought the filters for small and large Whisker City fountains, but they don't fit. I returned them, and while there looked at the fountains. From what I can guess the small used to have a taller reservoir, but they've updated it to look like a little version of the large. But there were NO Whisker City filters that would fit the "Small II", as it was called.

Anyone have any suggestions for my filter?
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shiloh, Jun 28 8:28 pm

Cat Health > My cat is still throwing up. Please help me I dont know what to do. Please help me.

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '12 4:22pm PST 
Back to the vet and another NO to Pepto. Pepto is very bad for cats.

It sounds to me like he has a stomach bug. I know his blood and stool were fine, but if he is just vomiting and is otherwise acting normal, still eating, no diarrhea, and drinking normally, it makes me think his stomach is the issue. I've got to wonder how he can possibly be pooping out the thing that is upsetting his stomach if he's busy barfing it up.

Metronidazole is for treating infections. At least in humans, it can be used for bacterial vaginal infections. I imagine your vet believes he has some kind of bacterial stomach bug. Call back and ask why you're giving your cat this medication, what the vet thinks he has, and remind him that your cat hasn't eaten properly in a week. Cats can decline extremely rapidly without proper nutrition. A completely healthy and robust cat can last about 3 days without any sort of food before things start to shut down.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12), Sep 15 1:29 am

Who's Feeling Silly > Name his breed/color/markings!

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 4:32pm PST 
I'm trying to figure this out for you as best I can from the pictures you provided =) He is, obviously, a Domestic Shorthair, which is just a catch-all term for "mutt cat". From there...

He is a dilute red/phaeomelanin pigmented (Effectively cream) spotted cameo/silver tabby (Chinchilla or "tipped" hairs), with what appears to be very full mask and mantle patterning.

He's very pretty.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Midas, Aug 29 8:40 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can't afford canned food anymore... $60/monthly budget to feed 3 cats, help?

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 2:26pm PST 
Okay, this is based on averages, and costs that I know of.

The average cat (8-10 pound neutered indoor tom is what I've found companies refer to as "average") needs to eat about 1 5.5oz can of food a day. If you buy a wet food- Special Kitty or Friskies are best for 5.5oz cans on the cheap- in a box, it amounts to an average of .53$ CAD per can. So that will bring your cost immediately down to 1.59$ CAD a day to feed your cats the bare minimum in wet. That's about 50$ a month.

IF you feed them only wet.

Dry food is often harder to decide on then wet food. Nutrition IS important, but so is a loving home. If you rehome them, you have ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE that they will be fed any better. In most cases, they will be fed worse, or at par with what you can actually afford to feed them. We enlightened folk who know how to read labels are in the minority of pet food buyers. Even those buying premium brands often only do it because it was recommended by a vet, pet store clerk, friend, breeder, or they just liked that the packaging said "HOLISTIC ALL-MEAT NATURAL CAT FOOD DIET".

Dry food can reduce your costs, period. I am only feeding two cats, but if I were to purchase a 12 pound bag of Whiskas (Which I find to be on-par with IAMS, which is probably one of the better quality commercially available non-premium foods) it would feed my cats for two months. That's about 13$ CAD for the bag of Whiskas. With about one half cup of dry a day, I can split one can 5.5oz can between two cats. That reduces the cost of wet. So for a bag of dry food and the new wet food cost (About 25$ CAD a month) you're spending 38$ on the cats per month, instead of almost 90$.

Three cats are going to be hungry mouths. You can, of course, reduce your costs further, but it's at your own discretion. You can also decide to buy the cheapest wet food and the best dry you can afford, or some very good wet food to supplement the cheapest dry food you can afford.

I don't know how able you are to do so, but my suggestion is to go to a local Petco, Petsmart, or Walmart, and look at the food offerings. Take a note book and pen and jot down names, weights, prices, and ingredients that matter to you. I usually look at the first four or five, and for menadione. Be aware of tricks like "chicken" as the first ingredient, which will actually end up farther down the list as exclusive-of-water ingredients follow it up. I made an entire little chart one day of which foods were the best price per pound and had the best ingredients, and found the one that was right smack-dab in the middle. Maybe you'll find something you like if you "math" it out.

You CAN reduce your cost, maintain their health, and keep your lovies in your home. Don't give up!
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Aug 29 11:12 pm

Cat Health > Need help - Cat ear infection
Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '12 9:13pm PST 
First: I get paid in two weeks, I cannot beg, borrow, or steal, I have no credit and cannot get credit, our vet does not do payment plans, our SPCA does not have a veterinary office, and there are no low-cost clinics nearby.

May 25th Egon went to the vet because of a sunburn gone bad. Scratching had caused a bacterial infection. In addition, he had burst acne cysts on his chin and "eyebrow". He got two antibiotic shots, Surolan ointment, and Revolution in case of mites.

Today, at 10AM, Egon suddenly crouched down and laid his ears flat. His ears were oozing brownish pus and filled with wet wax. They were also very pink. I cleaned his ears thoroughly and applied a bit of Surolan, hoping it might help.

We were a bit distracted today (My mother-in-law was readmitted for a cancer relapse- we're not expecting her to survive) but when we got home and fed Egon, he seemed fine. I checked him later, after we had talked a bit about my mother-in-law, and found the oozing was even worse, his ears were waxy again, his ears were red and sensitive to touch, and his right eye was a bit watery. His chin acne is also worse than it has been, but not as bad as when he saw the vet.

I cleaned his ears again and he cried and flailed a bit, and there was some blood, from even the gentle cleaning. I went through eight cotton balls and a q-tip. I applied a bit more Surolan, but I'm at a loss. I don't have anything to take him to the vet with. Our vet overcharges (Severely) and refuses to see an animal on a payment plan. I don't know what to do to help him. On top of that, I'm angry. Why did he get another infection so soon?! He was completely fine yesterday when I checked his ears!

Has anyone experienced a cat- male, neutered, all-wet diet, 13 months old, dilute ginger, 10 pounds, cobby-bodied- with red ears, brown discharge, wet brown ear wax, a sickly smell to the ear, who has sensitivity to touch ONLY when his ears are at their worst, disgustingness-wise, but is fine with touch after they have been cleaned? What was the issue?

It can't be mites, his Revolution should still be active and killing the little buggers. If it isn't, I'll scream, it was SUPPOSED to fix any mite infection the first time, and I paid an exorbitant amount and trusted the vet that it would fix it.

I feel like I'm going to burst. I love my cat, but I don't know what to do help him.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Jun 19 5:38 pm

Cat Health > Cat belly flap? (Also: Update on Egon's sunburn)

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Sun May 27, '12 8:15am PST 
First, the update!

Egon had to go to the vet because his ear sunburn became very agitated looking, his chin acne burst and began to fester, and he had a new sore on his nose, too! The vet let us know both his sunburn and chin were infected, and his nose was probably a burn (From resting it on the hot window sill) He got two antibiotic shots, a cream, and Revolution since it's likely he has ear mites. They wanted to sedate, hospitalise, and scrub his ears out thoroughly (For over 150$!) but we're on a budget, and honestly, Egon requires no sedating for cleaning. He's a big wuss puss.

I'm wondering about his belly flap, though. This is the second veterinarian who grabbed his belly flap, waved it around, and said some variation of, "Fatty!" From above Egon has a tucked waist; from the side he does have a flap, but his abdomen also tucks in nicely concave. He's big boned and heavy- about 10 pounds- and had the flap pre-neuter. He's no an overeater, though! He eats 5.5oz of wet food a day, and often leaves a little behind that his teeny sister (5 pounds) eats IN ADDITION to her 5.5oz and 1/4 cup dry. She looks underweight to me, and even she has a tiny flap!

What the heck is the belly flap all about, anyway? Why do pet medical professionals keep grabbing it and calling it fat?!
[notify]

» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Putter, Jun 18 8:17 pm

Behavior & Training > Male trying to mate as early as 5mo?

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Thu May 24, '12 12:20pm PST 
I read a few responses and had to shake my head.

It's not a dominance behaviour. Cats are a little less like humans than dogs are: we're the hierarchical species. Likely, he got caught up in the moment and decided to try something new that his instincts are just trying on for size. Puppies as young as 6 weeks try humping (Trust me, I was the one dissuading the little bugger from doing it) I can't imagine a nearly-adolescent cat wouldn't test it out.

I only know the research for dog-related spaying and neutering. In dogs, early neutering causes growth plates to close wrongly, and also delays the delay in telling the long bones of a dog's body to stop growing, leaving them with elongated and narrow bones. Cats... Well, they tend to hit their adult size (Not weight) sooner than dogs, don't have as many long bones, and I suspect their growth plates have to close earlier to facilitate leaping and climbing behaviours. I don't think neutering at adolescence will delay your dude's growth.

However, you don't actually have to expect spraying. Spraying is not a hormonal behaviour, though it can be driven by hormones. Cats without hormones are just as likely to spray. It's stress-related behaviour. I had Egon neutered at 10 months, he had never sprayed a day in his life, but started some pretty aggressive humping at month 9. I suspect he sensed that the beginning of his sister's cycles were coming, because the week after we got him snipped she went into heat.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Linus (Dreamboat #72a), May 25 9:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Ideas for a VERY Picky Eater?

Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:10am PST 
I am sorry to suggest this, since you're clearly very into the idea of a raw diet, but the food may be too rich over all for him.

Egon was eating grain-free foods. Up and down the scale, no matter what I tried, the better it was the worse his digestive upset got. Lower-quality foods solicited grumpy mealtimes and diarrhea; higher-quality turned into temper tantrums over bellyrubs and retching, food refusal, but no actual vomiting. At the time they were eating dry exclusive, I have a feeling on wet we would have seen the vomit.

Your sensitive kitty may need a lower-quality diet, so his poor body has something to grind up and focus on, rather than rejecting the good stuff you're trying to feed him. I'd suggest trying to add in a lower-quality canned food and see if he can handle that. I don't expect you'd like to jump from raw to dry =)

Sensitive Egon now eats a can (5.5oz) of wet food a day, with no repercussions.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by BK, Jul 23 4:49 pm

Cat Health > Kitty Sunscreen
Egon &- Astrid

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:05am PST 
There is a curtain over it =) They like to sit behind the curtain and watch our neighbour through his living room window.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Casper, May 20 1:22 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.