Postings by Patricia's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Whats the best brand of dry cat food?
Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 2:35pm PST 
Tigger, I totally understand your predicament. Emily only at dry food. The thought she suffered kidney failure because of what food she liked makes me realize electric water fountains really are worth the expense because without them, a cat who refuses to eat wet food will not drink enough water.
[notify]

» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 3:29 pm

Senior Cats > Keeping an old kitty healthy
Patricia

The Purr Machine

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 2:16pm PST 
Sunshine: You got Emily and Patricia mixed up. Emily was my first cat. She lived only 12 years.

After reading Emily's last vet bill - $594.50 - I decided the next cat will get health insurance. Of course, that was assuming my next cat is going to be a kitten.

Now Mom says we definitely are NOT getting a kitten, so I have to hope he or she does not need health insurance.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Apr 15 8:27 pm

Behavior & Training > NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 11:13am PST 
KItty, you are right in your original post that is ridiculous. Wilbur, the cat who died last month, was declawed before I adopted him. Having no front claws did not explain his temporary out-of-box urination. His bladder had bacteria and when Mom moved the litterbox he peed where it used to be, so being declawed obviously had nothing to do with it. The only biter I ever had was Emily, and she started the habit long before the surgery (which I did not know at the time was inhumane), so it had nothing to do with that behavior either. The only problem I saw caused by declawing was when she accidentally got out through a window and an animal bit her right front leg. So I never saw a problem in the house.
[notify]

» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 18 10:51 am

Cat Health > Bald spot on back

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 4:52pm PST 
I have experience with both ringworm and allergies.

Ringworm: Patricia had it on her face and took pills for a whole month to get rid of it. Thank God she only got it once.

Allergies: Wilbur had a lot of large bald spots by the time we got him diagnosed and put on a treatment plan. He even tried to amputate itchy toes on one foot by chewing on them. After being told frequent steroid injections cause heart, liver, and kidney failure and diabetes, I paid almost $200 to find out exactly what Wilbur was allergic to, then took him to a dermatologist to monitor lifelong customized treatment. Until he was diagnosed with kidney failure, Wilbur was ordered to only eat a skin-friendly food and take customized allergy shots every week.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Precious Kit-Kit, Aug 10 9:22 pm

Cat Health > Acute renal failure

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 1:34pm PST 
This is what I went through with Wilbur last year:

His regular vet thought he was hyperthyroid after he dropped from 16.5 to 12.2 pounds in 15 months. She ran a blood test and was surprised he was negative. Using the same blood sample, a more specialized test was run, which also was negative. So we took him to his dermatologist, who works at a large hospital with a radiology department called MedVet.

The dermatologist told me to keep Wilbur there for an ultrasound, more bloodwork, and a urine test. That was on a Friday so I got the results on Tuesday. He had a liver infection that required two weeks on pills, which was cleared up, and he was reportedly in the "very early stages" of kidney failure. The dermatologist told me Wilbur can still live for a couple more years by eating wet food. Later he ordered the k/d food.

The plan might look good on paper, but changing foods did not help him at all. He kept getting worse anyway. I took him back to MedVet later, where another vet (who he also knew) recommended buying a fountain and talking to his regular vet about the sub-q injections. So we went back to the regular vet thinking she would be able to help.

I was wrong. The regular vet told me Wilbur got worse so fast even the sub-q injections and wet k/d food cannot help him anymore. I could not fight back tears forever as she talked about euthanizing him and cried herself. She labeled the kidney failure "acute chronic" because of how fast it got worse.

From that day until December 1, Wilbur received at-home hospice care - any food he would eat, two Pepcid pills a day, water next to the couch where he slept. Telling this part of the story makes me cry.

rainbow
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pixie, Jul 5 11:12 pm

Senior Cats > Keeping an old kitty healthy
Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:51pm PST 
I know wet food is better than dry food, but Emily would only eat dry. You can't do anything about that.

The one good thing is knowing she did not get kidney failure by eating melamine-tainted food. That recall happened after she died.

What I meant by dying naturally is not getting so sick the cat must be euthanized. Both Emily and Wilbur reached that point.

Is it unrealistic to assume Patricia definitely will not get sick?
[notify]

» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Apr 15 8:27 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is this a bad idea?

Patricia

The Purr Machine

Purred: Sat Jan 21, '12 9:28pm PST 
Ryder, the reason I always hated cremation is body being gone makes me think of the September 11, 2001 plane crashes. I don't want my cats to look like they were on Flight 93, where nobody would even know a plane crashed if there had been no witnesses because of how badly everything broke up.

Emily and Wilbur went to a pet cemetery that is off-limits to visitors and don't have their own makred graves. It took three years to realize there is nothing wrong with having a plaque on the wall instead of her body under an engraved stone.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tambolina, Feb 8 4:38 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Is this a bad idea?

Patricia

The Purr Machine

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '12 4:51pm PST 
I am a strong opponent of cremation, but I rent and do not have a place to bury Patricia when her time comes.

Recently I got an idea: buy a planter box made of pine wood (because she used to eat eastern white pine trees we had for Christmas) and put some blankets, her body, soil, catnip, and flowers in it and add a nameplate to one side. The idea is if I do that, I will not have to bury her body far from home where I will never see the grave and can take it with me from one home to another when I move again.

Does this idea look creepy and disgusting? Could there be a problem with burying her this way and moving her? Do other people do this? I just don't want the plan to backfire after I execute it.
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Tambolina, Feb 8 4:38 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Future kitties and Current kitties!

Patricia

The Purr Machine

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 5:18pm PST 
I have only had two American shorthairs and a moggie (apparently manx, Japanese bobtail, and something else). My favorite of the three was my moggie, Wilbur. His purrsonality was similar to Emily's, but she never liked him. Despite being the same breed, Patricia has a very different purrsonality, so I can only meow about the breed's physical traits.

If you want to pet the world's softest fur, look for an ASH. They have it and will purr when petted. I also love the size, shape, and colors. Except for pointed patterns, they can be any color or color pattern. I had a tuxedo and still have a brown/white tabby. Someday I want to get an American tortoiseshell.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Jan 12 5:18 pm

Bengal > Is a Bengal good with an American shorthair?
Patricia

The Purr Machine

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 2:18pm PST 
While looking for old cats in my city to adopt I found a purebred Bengal. Patricia is an American shorthair - also purebred. Do you think being different breeds can create a challenge in making them friends if I adopt a Bengal? I have had a mutt before, but Wilbur was not a Bengal mix.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Patricia, Jan 12 2:18 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.