Postings by Candie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > My cat seems to only be aggressive and cold to me
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Fri Oct 17, '14 10:55pm PST 
Where do I start? Yes, your room mates are a problem playing with her in that way. We need to condition the cat back to you & they are not helping. I think the other cats are not a good thing. Are they all fixed???

I'll throw this one out here. How old are you? I say this because my older sister had a cat that hated me. I was 14 when she got her. Weird as it sounds, she hated kids or teenagers. I treated the same when I was 14-23 years old but for some reason she hated me until I was older. When I was 19 years old, she finally sat on my lap & would let me pet her.

Don't bite your cat. Candie did not like me for a 1.5 years when we got her from a breeder at the age of 5. She bite me. That "don't touch me" bite. So this is strange but worked with her. I made my hand a shadow puppet. (Bring your finger tips together like the Italian symbol to wait a minute.) The thumb is the lower jaw & the fingers the top half of the head. I'd made it talk really close to Candie's face as she started to bite me. It makes a snappy noise & she worried if it will get her. I'd never touched her but she back up & stop trying to bite me.

Now to win her over I would get on the floor to play with her on her level at least 15 minutes a night. Get string, feathers, a stick, laser chaser toy, woolen ball, or make a toy like (brown paper bag or a box you scratch on the outside while they are on the inside works too). Even if she does not come get on the floor with you, play with a toy. She should join you with the right toy. Done playing, then groom her while sitting on the floor. She might try to bite but try anyway. I have a Goody comb & groom my long hair cats with it. Do her tummy & under her chin. All I have to do is sit on the floor & show the comb for one of my cats to come running for grooming. Are you using catnip on her?? I give a little & mine eat it. Give every now & then in your room only like once a week only.

You said, you pick her up to go to bed. Instead of that get a ribbon & pull it behind you for her to follow you to bed. Make a game of it. Then shake the treat bag & give her a treat only in your room after she follows you to bed. She won't follow you some nights. But sit on your bed & shake the treat bag & she will come running.

Yes, 1.5 years to like me & 2 years for Candie follows me around. She loved every one in the house but me when we got her. And I'm the food person in the house too. I muzzled Candie for 9 months just to clip her claws. She even swatted me on the face. She just really hated me when we first got her. Now she climbs on top of me & cuddles.

Conditioning: Food, treats, play & grooming only from you.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Candie, Fri 10:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Issues with cats not covering feces
Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '14 4:11am PST 
I have had cats 40 plus years. I'm the official butt and pan cleaner in the house. Some cover while other wildly swipe the paw on edge of the pan to never touch the litter. My favorite are the few cats that never even tried to cover and walk away. I have never found one litter better to get them to cover. I'm afraid even if you lid the pan, they would not do better.

If you do not want to put up with it, would automatic cleaning pan, like a litter mate, be in your future? (There is another one that washes the litter when it is setup in a bathroom.) I have never taught a cat to cover better. I just use one of those automatic air fresheners sprays to keep the odor down until I can get to the pans in the basement. My tiny pan in our one and only bath room get cleaned twice a day by me myself and I. Only one cat poops in it. She covers 50% of the time.

I have the problem that sometimes the poop does not fall in the pan. It's stuck to a butt. Candie likes to run it off until it falls off in the house. Today, it was just stuck on Cookie and I find it later. And Brownie has decided not poop in the pan anymore. He poops next to one pan. Oh well.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sherlock, Sep 30 10:24 pm

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Sep 18, '14 2:27am PST 
What about Petflow dot com??? They have a SUPER SALE on Natural Balance LID Green Pea and Chicken dry food. 10 lbs for $23. Free shipping if you spend $49 or more. This is cheaper than Taste of the Wild today. But TotW has salmon in all the feline products, so that is ruled out. The Natural Balance canned food is also on SUPER SALE.

Chewys dot com has a canned food By Nature 95% Turkey & Turkey Liver which is cheaper and free shipping on orders $49 or more. $24.71 for 24 cans of 5.5 oz. So that is $1.03 a can. And if you set up auto-delivery on your schedule, you can save even more.

These are only online suggestions. I'm not sure where you live. There might be cheaper at your local stores. But this a starting point for you to compare the stores around you.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maizy , Oct 2 4:43 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best dry food to feed growing kittens?

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sat Sep 13, '14 5:14am PST 
Petsmart's Friends & Family weekend is around the corner this month to get your hands on cheap pate style canned food. (15% off coupon for F&F) Even the Friskies pates are affordable. Petsmart has F&F June, Sept. & Dec. With Dec. having the best prices on cheap canned food. I have started to buy Petsmart gift cards now for the Black Friday cheap cat litter. (The gift card triggered an email coupon for $10 off $25. Sign up for Petsmart emails & their rewards program. They email you the best coupons.) I try spread out the cost of buying litter for the entire year on Black Friday, ten 35 lbs pails. The savings on litter lets my buy 180 cans of Friskies. Plus Discover Card, used to buy the gift cards at Petsmart, last year mailed me a $10 off $50 coupon. If you shop smarter, its like getting the canned food for free.

PS, Brownie loves him food ground up to be a soup. I also add a touch more water when I put in a bowl. Pate are easy to add a little water and make it easier to eat too.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kyubey, Sep 16 1:35 am

Food & Nutrition > PetSmart $10 off $25 coupon

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Aug 28, '14 9:19pm PST 
Just got emailed a coupon for $10 off $25. I have not checked but you could check Facebook.com/petsmart for the same coupon. Happy Labor day weekend!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brownie, Aug 28 9:19 pm

Food & Nutrition > What is the least expensive dry, grain-free food you have found?
Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Aug 12, '14 7:51pm PST 
5 years ago I researched it and Diamond's Taste of the Wild was the cheapest. (They do not believe in coupons) You can write to them for samples or other local store may have them too. I so wanted my crew to love grain-free kibble. It was never to be.

Look for it at small Holistic pet food stores, Feed stores, Pet Supply Plus, Tractors Supply, Menards, Rural King and many other places listed on their website.

From Tractors Supply website - $12 for 5 lbs. So $1.20 a pound.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brownie, Aug 12 7:51 pm

Cat Health > Indoor cats with fleas - help!

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sat Aug 9, '14 10:52am PST 
Flea dips are the WORST. The Hartz shampoo is better than that.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Truth, Aug 23 12:07 am

Cat Health > Indoor cats with fleas - help!

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Aug 7, '14 9:09pm PST 
Short hair cats are easier to get rid of fleas. I got the Program (Lufenuron 165 mg.) to kill everything but adult fleas. It's birth control for fleas. To kill the adults fleas, I got Capstar (Nitenpyram). With my long hair cats, I also had to get Hartz flea shampoo from Walmart. I waited a day between each phase starting with the Program then Capstar & finally a bath with Hartz. I vacuumed alot to get the eggs. Wash all the cat bedding.

We tried PetArmor but it was a waste of money on my long hair cats. I squeezed it on and with the long hair it did not travel all over them. I had better luck buying the flea pills on Ebay. Little City Dog & K9
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Truth, Aug 23 12:07 am

Behavior & Training > Ragdoll - Extremely Independent, scared or just weird?

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Wed Jul 30, '14 10:03pm PST 
I have pure breed Birmans. Brownie was pet quality & was 4 months old when he came to our house. Cookie & Candie were show cats. They had 2 litters with only a single offspring from each. So they were not as socialized as Brownie when they came to our house. Cookie (3 yrs. old then) settled in first and made a smooth transition after three months. Candie joined us at the age of 4 & is still a problem child. It took her 1.5 yrs. to warm up to me. She loved everyone in the house but me. (I was Cookie's person per Cookie.) And only this week she started to follow me & talk to me. She almost never talks. I just do not think is a breeder thing unless he was there for years.

But we did have a Birman, Honey that changed after she was fixed. She marked her territories like a boy after the operation. Only stopped when she around 10. She would stand and pee after the operation.

I'm hoping it is just the summer heat. My cats are avoid us more in the summer. All that long fur & now they are laying on the floor to get their bellies cool. Even when we have the air on, they still do not want to be on us. I can not say if you have the same weather as me in StL. But even the Siameses were not lap cats in summer when we had them.

No food changes... No litter changes... And the water bowl is the same... Can you get him to purr or knead on you? Was he doing this before the heat? Is grooming time a happy time? My cats love me during grooming time unless I find a knot. Does he licked you up? I call them kisses.

I going to have to think about it a bit more.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Candie, Jul 30 10:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Which dry cat food?
Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Jul 22, '14 9:09pm PST 
I would skip Petsmart's house brand made for them, Authority. I search for days to reach them for information not on the label. Never could find one and would NEVER buy their food.

My cats hated though Life Bits in Wilderness. How complete is it if they only ate half of the vitamins?? What a waste of money.

I do like Wellness but the Complete Health ones over the Core. I have a bag of Holistic Select, a sister company of Wellness, the duck one in a bowl right now.

Right now I'm also mixing foods. Evo, California Natural and my final bags of Canyon Creek Ranch. After the law suits from the CCR dog chicken jerky treats, they, Nestle Purina, killed the brand. At the same time Nestle Purina rolled out changes to their One Beyond brand. They renamed it Beyond and the ingredients extremely similar to CCR now without dried cubes of potato & zucchini. Mine hated the cubes but love, love the CCR kibble. So we will for sure buy Beyond as when we need it because my cats do love their grained kibbles of rice, oatmeal, barley. (Beyond contains no corn, wheat, soy or meat by products.) And at times, I pick up a bag of Precise Holistic Complete Adult chicken. I'm not sure if any of these brand are up there in Canada but at smaller Holistic pet stores. I like to buy food in smaller bags to get fresher food. Hey, we ate Pronature from Montreal until they had no contract to have it distributed in the US. It was VERY YUMMY so says my cats!! We miss it!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brownie, Jul 22 9:09 pm

(Page 1 of 47: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.