Postings by James's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Mommy thinks I have tapeworms :(
James

I may be small,- but I'm scrappy.

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:28pm PST 
I was meowing because I was hungry and my mom went to feed me and in my happy state I lifted up my tail and she saw something that looked like a grain of rice near my bum. She picked at it and it was moving!
She is triple worried because I have a big brother and a new tiny human sister (who is now crawling to get to me, but I'm too scared to let her near me).

Besides call the vet to get me and my big brother checked out by our vet, and clean out our litter box (which daddy cleans out every night and changes once a week), what else can she do? Do all linens need to be striped and washed?

Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bijoux, Aug 2 8:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > Mom is against switching our cats to an all canned food diet :|
Jack

Not spoiled,- just well taken- care of.

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '12 10:06pm PST 
You might also want to consider getting your kitties a Pet Fountain. The motion and sound of the water will get them to drink more water. (Drinkwell is an excellent brand).

We had to take Jack to the vet when he was 3 years old because he had developed crystals. The vet encouraged us to get a pet fountain to entice Jack to drink more water. Jack is also on prescription food to prevent urinary crystals. He will be 7 years old at the end of this month and he has not had any urinary problems.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by McCow, Sep 5 1:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Russian Blue Behavior? Talkative?

James

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:41pm PST 
Oh wow, you just described me! I was adopted from a shelter and my mom picked me because she wanted another gray cat.

I like to talk...a lot and I also purr all the time! My big brother is all gray, but very quiet. I'm all gray too, but smaller than my big brother and my tail is a bit stripy. Mom doesn't think I will get much bigger. She doesn't think I'm part Russian Blue, mostly because my eyes are yellow, not green like my brother's. She wonders if I might be a Siamese mix instead.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Daniel, Aug 30 5:53 pm

Kitten Corner > Bringing new Kitten Home 3/29

James

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 10:48am PST 
Aww she is a cutie.

You might feel bad shutting her away, but the other purpose of separation is to also make the new addition feel safe. Plus, do you really know how your other cat will react to a new little kitten? She may be easy going, but this is a new "kid" encroaching on her territory. And you don't have to have her separated for that long a time, as long as she has been checked out by a vet and given the all clear to be exposed to your other cat.

Is there another room you an have her in too, besids the master bath? It might be tight in there for playtime.

Good luck
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Alfie - Angel DB#14, Mar 14 2:26 pm

Behavior & Training > 4 months and still biting/attacking hands..

James

Purred: Tue Mar 6, '12 10:30am PST 
It does hurt when they play with you with their teeth. I made this mistake with our first cat, Jack. I was determined to not repeat myself with James.

We had to have him separated from Jack for a month and half and often times I was the only one in there playing with him.

I had read somewhere that gently scruffing them by the neck and saying "No" might help them, but I thought that was too physical. I didn't want to use a spray bottle and sometimes just saying "Ow" and "No" didn't suffice. So when he would attack my hand, arms or feet with teeth...I'd hiss at him...and it worked. He is 6months now and knows not to attack me with teeth.

Also when she gets bitey, I heard that distracting with a toy helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tia, Mar 9 3:26 am

Behavior & Training > Getting discouraged - new kitten, resident cat introductions
Jack

Purred: Mon Mar 5, '12 4:45pm PST 
Thank you CK smile (I've been reading your posts too)

Again, like I told Ralphie and Randy, I'm not sure how I can do the food thing since they are both on dry food and are grazers (on limited portions,of course), and eat at different times.

Question?

How important is it that I have them eat together?

I can't really have James eat off Jack's food as Jack's food is prescription. And I can't have Jack eating James's food as its a kitten formula and Jack needs his own food for urinary health.

I've tried putting their food dishes side by side, but James gravitates to Jack's dish, and doens't "see" his food. And Jack won't go near either dish.

If I leave James' food out in the 2nd bedroom (where we had kept him separated.) Jack will either eat all his food or hiss at James while James is eating.

For the time being Jack's food dish is on top of the fridge. James' food is in the closet and when he gets hungry I take it out, put it near his water dish and close the door to the room (not the closet) so Jack can't go in that room while James is eating.

Is that wrong? Advice is much appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 30 1:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation

Jack

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 7:01pm PST 
I'm sorry about your recent breakup frown and the recent change in your kitty's affection toward you.

I had something like that happen to me with my old kitty Purrkins when I got married (I had first got her when I was 10 so she was about 12 yo when I moved out of the house). I had moved into an apartment with my husband and it wasn't pet friendly. Because she was an older kitty moving her wouldn't have been the best option either.

When I would go to visit my mom, it was like she didn't even know me. She wouldn't let me hold her and rarely sat next to me, and if she did, she had her back to me.

It may be that he is getting used to you not being there all the time, and therefore "tolerating" your presence. At least he is sitting with you. Does he allow you to pet him? Does he rub against your legs still? Hang in there. I'm sure it isn't personal.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jack, Mar 4 7:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation

Jack

Purred: Sun Mar 4, '12 7:01pm PST 
I'm sorry about your recent breakup frown and the recent change in your kitty's affection toward you.

I had something like that happen to me with my old kitty Purrkins when I got married (I had first got her when I was 10 so she was about 12 yo when I moved out of the house). I had moved into an apartment with my husband and it wasn't pet friendly. Because she was an older kitty moving her wouldn't have been the best option either.

When I would go to visit my mom, it was like she didn't even know me. She wouldn't let me hold her and rarely sat next to me, and if she did, she had her back to me.

It may be that he is getting used to you not being there all the time, and therefore "tolerating" your presence. At least he is sitting with you. Does he allow you to pet him? Does he rub against your legs still? Hang in there. I'm sure it isn't personal.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jack, Mar 4 7:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Getting discouraged - new kitten, resident cat introductions

Jack

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 7:21pm PST 
Thanks Ralphie and Randy (nice names by the way - A Christmas Story, right?) Thanks for the reassurance.

I will try to play with a wand toy with them again. I tried it once a few days ago and James totally took over and whenever he had it in his mouth after he caught it, he would purposefully walk in front of Jack and growl. Little brat.

We got another Feliway diffuser today and plugged it in our bedroom (the other one is in our living room). I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence, or because of a second diffuser, but just an hour ago Jack was grooming James in the bedroom and James was letting him. He just laid there, closed his eyes, purred and let Jack lick his head...and after a few minutes Jack walked away as if to say "I'm done.

And then they started wrestling. Oh well, progess is progress smile
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 30 1:58 pm

Jack

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 12:27pm PST 
I can't really picture Jack and James being best buds right now. Hopefully in time they will be. They don't nap together yet and rarely sit together in the same place without a tussle starting.

We have restricted them from fighting in our bedroom. Part of me feels bad about restricting Jack from that room, because it is his safe place away from James, but my husband doesn't want them fighting in that room.

Also I've noticed that whenever Jack attemps to groom James, James pulls away and swats at Jack (which in turn starts a fight). Is that unusual, that a kitten doesn't want to be groomed by an older cat?
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 30 1:58 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.