Postings by Kyubey's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Cat Health > Pilling a stubbron cat!
Katie

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '14 11:30pm PST 
Katie takes 5mg of Prozac daily for anxiety. It has been an absolute godsend in keeping her from pacing and meowing incessantly and letting her relax. She is actually pretty cooperative for the pilling process....I catch her, put her between my knees, and use my finger to pill her. She doesn't LIKE it, obviously, but there is no big drama.

The downside is that I feel like it's creating a strain on our relationship. I've made the upstairs a 'safe space', where I won't catch her unless it's absolutely urgent...and now she is very affectionate upstairs but won't come down for most of the day.

I would LOVE to find a way to get her to accept the pill in food. We are stuck free-feeding because Kyubey loses weight quickly if his food is restricted, so Katie is never *really* hungry.

She won't take pill pockets, and I've never found a commercial cat treat that she likes...we've tried crunchy treats like Greenies, soft treats, freeze-dried meats, and flaked bonito fish. She eats the occasional bite of tuna, won't touch fresh poultry or fish, and yesterday did oblige me by eating a bit of sliced ham.

What else could I try coaxing her with? I want a closer bond with Katie, and we are bonding in the evenings when I go upstairs, but I want her to be comfortable in the entire house and not afraid of me.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, Aug 18 11:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Starting to make cat food~mice?
Katie

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '14 11:19pm PST 
Yes! I buy frozen feeders about 200 at a time...mice, rats, and quail, for my reptiles. The cats enjoy the occasional treat, as does my dog. When my dog was eating all raw, I bought him the occasional bag of frozen rabbits as well. I really feel like they benefit from the experience of eating the whole animal.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BK, Aug 22 11:21 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > 2 kittens found, a few questions. Please Help.

Katie

Purred: Mon Jul 7, '14 11:48pm PST 
In general, a generation of inbreeding won't have any ill effects on the kittens. I'd work on getting everyone spayed/neutered asap to stop the cycle though!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jack, Jul 12 12:52 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Is a Singapura right for me?

Katie

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '14 6:07am PST 
A kitten is not going to be happy being alone that much. It will get wild and destructive out of boredom. If you are really into the Singapura, perhaps you could email a few breeders and see if they ever have adults available?
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jack, Jul 12 12:09 am

Kitten Corner > Little one fully weaned but wants to suckle the blanket at night

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '14 11:45pm PST 
Kyubey is three and he still suckles blankets and bathrobes. We just wash our blankets frequently so they don't smell like cat spit. Luckily, he doesn't keep us up with it...maybe some bitter apple spritzed on the blanket will discourage him? Good luck with the little guy!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jerry (formerly Bondi), Jun 16 2:42 pm

Cat Health > Stray Cat Needs Medical Attention?
Katie

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '14 2:06pm PST 
Best of luck with him! Managing the health of ferals can be frustrating and complicated, kudos to you for caring about the little one! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Buddha, Jun 6 5:02 pm

Food & Nutrition > Why?

Katie

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '14 1:46pm PST 
I chuckled when I read this because I have the same problem. If I eat plain salmon, raw or cooked, I get an upset stomach...but if I eat say...a salad with salmon on it, or salmon with rice, I'm fine.

If you do figure out why this happens, please let us know! smile
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, Jun 5 1:46 pm

Cat Health > Pyothorax - what do you think?

Katie

Purred: Tue May 27, '14 12:41am PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. frown

Once upon a time, I was a vet tech working in an ICU in a very wealthy neighborhood. We had quite a number of clients who had the resources to keep treating their pets long after it had become clear that treating their condition was not in the pet's best interest.

I can say, quite confidently, that most cats with pyothorax don't do well even with extensive treatment unless the infection is caught REALLY EARLY. It's HARD to catch it that early because the cats hide it really well, and often the first sign that ANYTHING is wrong is when the cat collapses or goes into serious respiratory distress.

Treatment is hard on the cat and the owner, and complications are common. The lungs can become stiff or develop abscesses. Sometimes there is a tumor or a deformity hiding in there causing the infection. Many cats don't tolerate the chest tube well. It's hard to sedate a cat in respiratory distress without worsening the breathing.

IF a kitty survives the initial crisis, they may go on to do well. Unfortunately, in my experience, most cats don't survive the initial crisis, and those that do often succumb to something related to the pyothorax shortly after.

Don't feel guilty about your decision at all. If one of my cats was diagnosed with pyothorax I would make the same one.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by My Sweet Lady (Rainbow Bridge), Jun 3 8:08 am

Choosing the Right Cat > Chantilly/Tiffany Breed- Help me find a breeder of

Katie

Purred: Wed May 14, '14 10:18pm PST 
The Chantilly is an EXTREMELY rare breed. There is a Debra Baker who I believe still works with them, and an Annie Davenport...though I can't find a current website or contact info for either.

I found this link: http://chantillycats.wordpress.com/2013/03/30/emberhearth-hershey-nu gget-ltd-of-amorino/

At the bottom, Annie Davenport says that www.amorinocattery.com is a live site, and her comment was posted just a few days ago, so it might be worth bookmarking and checking for updates.

If, as she says, there are only four people in the US working with them and the breed is almost extinct, I suspect it will be almost impossible to get one as a household pet...since the people who DO have them are going to be reluctant to part with them.

What drew you to the Chantilly in particular? If you're looking for a really elegant looking longhaired cat with an easy maintenance coat, the Turkish Van might be a good choice. There is speculation that the Somali was used in the development of the Chantilly, and they certainly have a similar sculpted face with beautiful lines. Either one of those would be easier to find. smile

If you are dead set on a Chantilly, I would start attending cat shows. Chat up some folks there and see if someone knows someone who might have kittens available eventually. If you can get in touch with someone who is 'in the breed' and keep up a friendly contact with them (yay email!) you might luck out down the line and they might think of you when a pet quality kitten comes along.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by TieDye, May 15 3:10 am

Cat Health > A golden persian cat with yellowish tinge around the gum linings surrounding mouth
Katie

Purred: Fri May 9, '14 6:02pm PST 
Is this something he has always had or something that became discolored recently? Whenever I hear the words "yellow tinged" I think liver failure - but if his eyes and ears and such aren't yellow tinged it might just be a quirk of his coloring.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katie, May 9 6:02 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.