Postings by Lola's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Cat Health > Possible Tumor :(
Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Sat Apr 5, '14 7:58am PST 
So we went for the ultrasound guided aspirate to get a biopsy of the mass. Blood work was done before that showed me to be absolutely healthy (normal pancreatic enzymes and all!). Unfortunately, all the cells taken from the mass were ruptured and necrotic, meaning that we are still no closer to a diagnosis than we were before.

The next step would be surgery though both doctors made it clear that if it is a pancreatic tumor that operating now or a little later would not change the prognosis. Should it be an inflamed pancreas, surgery may still be necessary to remove some of the inflammation and drain the site. So they're both suggestion that we monitor for now. Either problem could be causing the digestive insight so we really have no way of knowing for sure.

For now, Bart is acting normal. Normal appetite, normal activity, and being a cuddle-bug as usual.

Thanks again everyone for the support - hopefully next time I post I will have some good news *fingers crossed*
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Wed Apr 2, '14 9:13am PST 
Hi all

The last 24 hours have been very emotional for our family, and it's nice to have extended support from this community. We are truly appreciative of all the kind words, well wishes, and advice.

We are going for an ultrasound guided biopsy tomorrow to determine if the growth is cancerous. The radiologist who did the first ultrasound said he's 75% sure that it's cancerous so there's hope but trying not to be too hopeful considering how crushed I felt after yesterday's appointment. The consensus between the radiologist and my regular vet is that if it is indeed cancerous is just to medicate/treat Bart's symptoms and keep him comfortable until the next big decision, whenever that may be. But we should have more answers after tomorrow's appointment.

For now, we'll just be loving and comforting our baby boy until we know more information.

Thanks again for all the support - I will keep you posted
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '14 3:47pm PST 
Please ignore that last rant - I was trying to test and see what was not G-rated in my original post and wound up posting it before I wanted to.

The ultrasound confirmed a pancreatic tumor. They would still like to do a non-invasive biopsy of the cells to determine if it is cancerous or not. If it is, the prognosis is 4-5 months, 6 if we're lucky, with medication.

I'm waiting to hear from my regular vet about our next steps. My heart is aching greatly right now frown

Little man is just a month away from his 3rd birthday - this seems so unfair frown
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '14 3:43pm PST 
I've been trying to post an update for about 20 minutes now but I keep getting an error message saying that words in my post are not G-rated?? Does this happen often to anyone?

I'm very upset right now because I was more or less told that Bart has 4-5 months to live and all I want to do is talk to SOMEONE about it because I am a mess and getting this error message that I'm using bad words when I'm not actually is only making me more agitated ugh
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Cat Health > Dear Cats prone to crystals- what do you eat?

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '14 7:02am PST 
Also, mom had asked our vet what causes the crystals and more recent research shows that there doesn't appear to be any one reason. Mom's first question was about if it was her fault I had crystals because she fed us mainly solid food and the doctor assured her that was not the reason. Likely it is genetic and beyond our control.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Katie, Apr 8 4:00 pm

Cat Health > Dear Cats prone to crystals- what do you eat?
Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '14 6:59am PST 
I was diagnosed with crystals about 5 months ago - boy did I give mom a scare! They kept me over night and inserted a catheter so that I could pass most of the crystals that had accumulated. Anyway, since then, I've been on Royal Canin Urinary SO. Although mom doesn't get all the hype about Royal Canin (since the first few ingredients usually include fillers...), mom doesn't want me to have further issues, and so far so good (I am currently sick, but as far as we can tell it's unrelated to the urinary crystals). Royal Canin is really pricey (but mom has a part time job at a pet store so she gets a small but helpful employee discount). Science Diet has a prescription line for urinary health (you'll need a prescription from your vet) but mom has also heard that Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health (or it's called something along those lines) works well too, but we don't have first hand experience with it. I would consult your vet just to be sure.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Katie, Apr 8 4:00 pm

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '14 8:50pm PST 
Thanks for your words everyone. We go for the ultrasound tomorrow afternoon so we're all on pins and needles right now. Mom has been trying to be strong but I'm laying in bed with her trying make her feel better. I know she's trying to be an optimist but she can't help but feel my brother (from another mother), Bart, has been dealt a bad hand in life (which is painfully in ironic considering how mom came to get me).

In any event, we're hanging in there and appreciate all the supportive purrs - will have an update later tomorrow I would imagine.

Thank you again.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Sun Mar 30, '14 3:38pm PST 
Thanks BK - Mom says she appreciates all the purrs
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

Cat Health > Having trouble affording Arwen's spay.

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Sat Mar 29, '14 11:26am PST 
I have two kitties, who were very sick as kittens (constantly swapping an upper resp infection back and forth) so as a result I didn't have much money left over when it came to time for spay/neuter. My original vet, where I had been getting their primary care, gave me an estimate for almost $700 for both cats. So I started researching low-cost spay/neuter clinics in my area. I was able to get them both spayed/neutered for $120 (the spay was $70, the neuter was $50).

I dropped them off in the morning and picked them up that evening. Fair warning - the facilities were....scary (to me), but it was a non-profit organization that services a Philadelphia suburb and beyond. Both my cats were perfectly fine following surgery. Just know there are other options out there.

Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buffy, Mar 30 1:25 pm

Bart

Happy to be- healthy!

Purred: Sat Mar 29, '14 11:18am PST 
I went to the vet today because I've been vomiting a lot in the past few days. The doctor took x-rays because he heard crackling in my lungs and felt a mass in my abdomen. When he showed mom the x-rays she started to cry because it appears as though I have a tumor that has been causing all my problems. Mom scheduled an ultrasound for me this week and we're just trying to act like everything is normal, but I can tell mom is very upset. I heard her talking to dad about a friend who had a tumor removed from their dog and said the biopsy had come back as non-cancerous but unfortunately it was cancerous and her dog wound up dying shortly after - something to do with only taking a biopsy from one part of the tumor?

Mom is worried about me and I don't know what to do to make her feel better. I was hoping maybe some of you had some words of encouragement or advice. I'm sure mom would really appreciate it.
[notify]

» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Delyte, Dark Angel, at Bridge, Apr 5 10:56 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.