Postings by Babydoll's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Tough choice and need opinions
Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 10:22am PST 
The hard part is thinking about making that decision and then having her look at me with her cute little fur face.

Would it be cruel to maybe try the insulin path, and if things are still too difficult and things don't seem to be much better, follow the other path?

Did you notice a different demeanor in your cat after Gump began shots? I mean, did he seem to start feeling better - at least by looking at him?

I've got a note into the vet to get the precise details of the insulin, and I've asked how long a bottle will last - not based upon expiration date, but on dosage.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by ~Avail~ 02/14/00 - 09/17/13, Aug 31 2:32 pm

Cat Health > Tough choice and need opinions
Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 6:25am PST 
Previously (several months ago) I took Ophelia to the vet and she was dx with a UTI and diabetes. She was given a shot for the UTI and we put her on a diet for the diabetes because the insulin meds were just too expensive.

After struggling through her still peeing all over the place, I took her back to the vet last week. She has lost 2.5 pounds, which I was excited about because she needed to lose the weight.

Unfortunately, that was the only good news. She has a UTI again, and apparently it's very severe. She'll need a pill for the next couple of weeks. Her sugar levels, which were extremely high before, were higher. Which means the special diet did nothing for her. She also has cataracts now.

So I am left with two solutions. One, is to give her two shots of insulin for the rest of her life. The second is to have her euthanized.

Neither choice is a good choice. It has been a couple of days since the vet visit and I need to make a decision. But I don't know what the decision should be. My husband says that he's behind whatever decision I make, but that I have to make it, because really, she's my kitty. I'm the one home with her all the time. I raised her.

So, after days of crying, I have to try and figure out what to do. And I need some help and opinions.

Insulin was going to be around $150-$200/month from the last time I spoke to the vet about it. Is that something we can afford? Sort of. We can pay for it, but it could put a strain on things. Not terribly, but I know it will affect us. Insulin will not help her cataracts or the weakness she has in her back legs now. It will help get her sugar under control. It will stop the UTIs from happening (hopefully). It may stop her peeing and pooping in all the places that are not the litter box.

But what kind of quality of life will she have? She already spends most of the time sleeping under our bed. She comes out to keep, pee, and sit on the enclosed porch when I open the door. I will need to corner her twice a day to give her a shot. And I know that's going to be a struggle for us both. She's extremely strong and fights me when I give her bath or try to brush her.

And then I have option 2. Which feels like I shouldn't even be thinking about it, because it makes me a terrible person. But I have to consider it, because it may be what's best for her in the long run. Do I let her go now, or do we go through the shots? Because I know the first shot I give her will be the easiest. And then she'll run from me every time after. And I don't want to extend her life just to have her running in fear of me.

So, both choices suck. I don't want to choose either of them. And I'm too emotionally attached to think rationally. So I would really appreciate any and all thoughts about this. I've never had to do major medication to a pet before, and I've never had to euthanize a pet either. My Babydoll died at home with me, as she was kind enough to make the choice for me.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by ~Avail~ 02/14/00 - 09/17/13, Aug 31 2:32 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > How to stop a cat from peeing on the floor

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 3:42am PST 
We haven't been back to the vet yet. At our last visit the vet wanted to give her a month of being on the special diet, and then we'll go back in and run tests again to see if it's doing any good.

I could understand if she never used the litter box. Then it would make perfect sense that all of this is UTI/Diabetes related. But the fact that...based on the litter box, I'd say 1 in 5 times she pees on the floor. That's the bizarre part. If I block off her "carpet" area, she'll go back to using the box 100% of the time.

Ophelia's always been my "problem child." LOL She's always had a bad attitude and is completely standoff-ish. Now we're getting into her senior years where she's giving me "I don't give a damn!" laugh out loud

We'll be heading back to vet again this month and then maybe she can figure out what our next steps will be.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ophelia, Jun 6 3:42 am

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 12:01pm PST 
Ophelia has it in for me. She does. When I walk in the door I know immediately that she has peed on the floor because she runs and hides under the bed. She knows she's not supposed to pee on the floor, and yet she does.

I tried the plastic runner with the spikey things. She's peed on it three times.

The litter box is another mystery. It's in a quiet spot. It has been there for three years. She started peeing at the bottom of the stairs, about a foot away from the box. Okay, I switched boxes. Super big, not as tall - so she could get in if she was having trouble. That didn't work.

I moved the litter box to the base of the stairs. I literally have to step over it off the stairs. She'll pee in it, but when she wants to poop, she poops on the basement floor. She literally has to walk across the litter box and out again to intentionally poop on the floor.

It's a complete mystery why she's doing this, or why she's continuing to do this. Apart from ripping the carpet up, I will have to block off the area she's attracted to and scrub it daily for a few months until she can no longer detect the scent of urine.

FRUSTRATED.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ophelia, Jun 6 3:42 am

Cat Health > Dandruff?

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 4:20am PST 
Ophelia has terrible dandruff - and dandruff is exactly what you think it is - flakes. Dander is normal shedding of skin cells.

My vet gave me a prescription shampoo (don't use people shampoo - the ph is different and not good for cats), and some Omega supplements - they're those large gel pills, but there is no way I'm going to get her to swallow one. I poke it with a knife and squirt it over her wet food.

Her coat is looking a lot better now, after about 2-3 weeks.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ramsey, Jun 9 2:03 pm

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 4:14am PST 
Unfortunately we can't have a litter box there. We have an open floor plan, so it would be like putting a box right in the middle of a room, in a high traffic area.

It would be different if she never used the litter box - but she does. So why is it she can go to it sometimes, but not others? If I didn't know any better, I'd say she's getting back at me for the trips we've taken to the vet. smile And it has been a couple of weeks now since she had her shot, and since she's been to the vet, so everything should be under control UTI-wise at this point.

I don't know. I'm just getting frustrated because I'm washing carpets daily. Pretty soon I'll have a bare spot! I'll see if I can find one of those plastic mats today. Anything that will get her to go back to the box 100% would be great.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ophelia, Jun 6 3:42 am

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 9:45am PST 
There it is. The big question that everyone wants to know. Here's the scoop.

I had a table in the dining room that Ophelia would sit under. One day, I noticed it started to smell odd. I moved the table, and discovered she had been peeing under there. So, I scrub, I clean, I carpet clean (luckily I own a carpet cleaner!). It happens again. And again. So of course I call the vet and get her an appointment. She's an obese cat, and so there can be a ton of problems.

I put plastic bags down on the floor after the fourth or fifth cleaning. She hates bags, so I figured it would keep her away. No. She peed right on the bag. From then confined her to a small area where she could go to the basement and get to the litter box as well as having access to food and water.

Took her to the vet, got testing done. She has diabetes. I also needed to get a urine sample, so I brought her home, keeping her confined (per the vet's orders) and got the sample. She has a UTI.

Okay- we're making progress. She is now on prescription food for the diabetes (Purina DM), and she got her antibiotic shot for the UTI. I let her out of the penned area, but kept the spot she was peeing in blocked off because I wanted to clean it a few more times.

I have cleaned this with carpet cleaner, two different types of enzymes from the pet store, the vinegar, soap, peroxide mixture. I have cleaned this area at least 10 different times. When I take the blockade down, she pees. So I clean again.

This last time, I decided to move the food and water directly over the spot where she's been peeing. Because everyone tells me that cats won't "go" where their food is.

Nope. She goes. She doesn't care. I just had to clean up two different spots in the area. How do I stop this?

I cannot have a blockage there of boxes and card tables and whatnot forever. Of course I'd love to rip up the carpet, but that's financially not an option. And I can buy any new furniture right now to cover the spot and prevent her from crawling under it.

I don't get it. My other cat Othello doesn't seem to care about the pee. He doesn't go there - he uses the litter box all the time. And Ophelia will go and use the litter box (and yes, if I clean it out any more, I'll just have to hire someone to sit there and scoop as soon as one of them does the business!).

So, I'm stumped. I need to figure out what I can do. Does anyone have a solution?
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ophelia, Jun 6 3:42 am

Food & Nutrition > affordable diet food

Ophelia

Don't touch me!

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 9:59am PST 
Love that food list - thanks. Ophelia is sooooo fat and I have struggled to work on her weight - unsuccessfully. I plan on taking that list to the pet shop this week!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Finnegan (Finney), Feb 14 10:34 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Two and a half years later, I'm still crying.

Babydoll

Cattitude!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 11:41am PST 
hug

My childhood dog died when I was 15. It was years - probably five or more - before I could look at a picture of her without crying. It's okay to cry for our wonderful and loving fur babies. They enter into a special part of our hearts, into all the spaces that no human could ever find.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 5:40 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Babydoll is gone
Babydoll

Cattitude!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 11:38am PST 
Thank you everyone. It has been a tough few days, and I have my sane points and my weepy points. Even though Othello and Ophelia are still with me, the house seems extra empty. Babydoll was always at my feet, always tripping me up. I had to watch every step. I still expect to see her, and I still step carefully around.

O&O are doing okay, but Ophelia has started sleeping in bed with us - something she would only do once or twice a year. Now she comes to bed with us each night. She is Babydoll's daughter. I'm not sure if she's sad, lonely, or is trying to make me feel better.

I buried Babydoll on my parents' property, where she will be safe. She is buried next to my childhood dog, so she is not alone.

I like the idea of getting a statue for the outside around here. When spring comes I'll find something nice to place outside in the flowerbeds.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Babydoll, Jan 28 11:38 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.