Postings by Maple's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Grooming > Long fur, mats, suddenly having problems, HELP!
Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:45pm PST 
Hallie,

Thank you! Do you know which brush I should start with? Will any do? I don't mind keeping her butt trimmed, but I want to avoid the mats without shaving her!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:15pm PST 
Another photo, so you can see her unruly fur. Lol! The underside is curly. Which is new. The whole texture of her fur seems to be changing!

Fluffy
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:04pm PST 
We rescued Minion when she was 3 weeks old. It's a long story, but I have no idea where her mom or siblings were, only that she needed someone to take care of her since her eyes were barely open and she could only drag her weak little body around.

Anyway, as stories like this usually go, she stayed. A fluff-ball of a kitten, we named her Minion from "Despicable Me" from when the little girl goes, "IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!"

Anyway, that is neither here nor there, the problem is that now, nearly a year later, I'm finding mats under her tail and her armpits. This is a new occurrence, as I run my hand over her body daily to look for anything of the sort. She is also getting poop stuck in the fur under her tail.

In fact, the poop thing also being a new problem, I took a pair of scissors and trimmed up her entire backside (she hated every second, but being handled since she was a baby, she grudgingly put up with it and I got out with just a few minor scratches). It's not pretty, but it works!

Yesterday I cut a mat out and today I found a new one! I combed most of it out (TOTALLY pissed her off!) and trimmed it when I saw it was hurting her more than it was worth the fight.

I'm just not sure where to start. I've never groomed a cat! My cats have always been short furred, like Maple! I don't mind daily brushing, and I so don't want mats, so I'm willing to do whatever, but I have no idea where to start! Can someone with experience tell me what to do?

Minion

Fluffers!

Baby Mini
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 8:29 pm

Food & Nutrition > Different Flavors, bad?

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:18pm PST 
Minion
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shadow, Oct 23 7:50 pm

Food & Nutrition > Different Flavors, bad?

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:08pm PST 
Edit: WOW! That wasn't a Dogster/Catster flea, it was a danged TICK!

I feed our two cats Wellness Core. Morning is dry (original) and evening is wet with different Core flavors (Turkey and Duck, Vinson and beef, chicken and turkey, and seafood).

I've noticed that they are fine on the Seafood, Chicken and Turkey, and Indoor formulas, but the second I introduce Turkey and Duck or Vinison and Beef, Minion, my "little" one (7 months old) throws up. frown

I put "little" in quotes because she is already larger than Maple, and she is still growing. Not to mention that she eats... And eats... And eats... And eats...

I literally feed her three meals a day. Breakfast, dinner, and a Garfield-like snack at about 4:15 every morning (or else my face gets it for the next two hours).

I keep thinking, "She's growing." and she is... But I'm starting to worry that I'm feeding her too much. BUT she has started not waking my for her early morning snack AS much, so maybe she's growing out of it?

It's important to not that we were given Minion (not by choice) as an abandoned three-week old who had to be gingerly bottle fed. And she had been fed for at least a week before we brought her home by humans. She is spayed (about three months ago) and we love her sweet, fluffy, rag-doll, fearless personality.

Anyway, my questions...

1. Are those flavors of Wellness Core too rich?
2. Should I stick to one flavor?
3. Is Minion Garfieldish? Should I stop feeding her as much (I do portion what I give them).
4. Maple doesn't eat nearly as much as Minion, do you think Minion could be filling up on both her and Maple's leftovers and THEN throwing up? --only those two flavors...

So you can see Minion.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shadow, Oct 23 7:50 pm

Cat Health > Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you?
Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:07pm PST 
Bumpurr: Yes Strongid--not over the counter.

I've done a few rescues in my lifetime and happen to be good friends with the wonderful Cat Lady at our local rescue. I call her the Cat Lady out of respect, as she truly is an angel.

I called her the second we brought this little kitten home, which was when she was 3 weeks old and she told me what to use. I had some Strongid left over from previous rescues (you know, because everyone has abandoned puppies going through their house in droves, right?) which she told me to use. The vet had given me enough to last a few litters, LOL! He would always see them eventually anyway.

I don't think it's a Hartz product (isn't that the Walmart stuff? I don't use any of their stuff).

Minion has her first real vet visit later this week. She's getting spayed! She has had her first round of shots (curtosy of the Cat Lady) and I haven't worries too much about her since she is strictly inside with my vaccinated pets, and no other strays. smile She'll get everything she needs. I'm just waiting to be able to afford it!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Smokie Boo Dreamboat #104b, Jul 16 8:35 pm

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 9:14pm PST 
Hey purrs! Thanks for the great responses. Let me answer a few questions:

1. She was wormed when I first brought her home with Strangent (sp?) I gave her the required dose for 3 days, waited a week, then repeated. I'm now repeating that routine AGAIN.

2. She has been on Welness (wet) and Core (dry) for almost a month now, and seems to be doing fine.

3. I changed the brand of litter we were using from TidyCats (UGH! I HATE scented litters!) to Swheat Scoop with great success!

As we speak the holy terror in on my legs... In the bathtub. Playing in the water (maybe TMI? But I'm on my iPhone and she is CRACKING ME UP!) Maple is also obsessed with the tub, but she never went THIS far! Lol!

ANother thing I've noticed is that her fur is growing back. She came to us with some serious fluff. Then lost it all (she looked funny during this time as her undercoat is gray, topcoat is blackish/tortish... The topcoat fell out leaving the gray undercoat making her look bald). I think she is just now finally healthy. smile

Sweet kitty! She is a nut'
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Smokie Boo Dreamboat #104b, Jul 16 8:35 pm

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Thu Jul 12, '12 1:52pm PST 
bump?
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Smokie Boo Dreamboat #104b, Jul 16 8:35 pm

Cats & Travel > Need advice when traveling and leaving the cats by themselves

Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Thu Jul 12, '12 8:01am PST 
Hi! Ie three dogs and two cats! We have a doggie door, so when we take a trip we have a neighbor (a young guy, my DH's cousin) stop by twice a day (morning and evening) and feed+check on everyone. We ask that he:

1. Feed twice a day
2. Walk the dogs once a day (or play with them in the yard)
3. Clean the cat box once a day

And then we give him some money. smile

It works great for us!!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by AnnaBelle, Jul 23 8:15 pm

Cat Health > Outdoor Cats? Why?
Maple

Pet me. Now.- NOW!

Purred: Wed Jul 11, '12 10:31pm PST 
Maple lived her entire first year as an indoor cat. She went out once, got chased by a dog, and was afraid of the great outdoors for a long time...

BUT... Being the social butterfly that she is, she couldn't stand to be left inside when I played fetch with the dogs. Despite having NEVER touched foot on the back porch, she would sit at the window and cry, and cry, and cry to be let out with us.

I firmly believed in never letting her out, so I didn't.

Then I got a doggie door, it was a necessary purchase, and worth every penny.

Maple had it down within a week.

I gave in, and began to lock the dog door, but allow her outside under supervision. She only goes out back, in an enclosed yard (that I have never seen her leave) and lays in the sunshine. Eventually, I gave in and allowed her to use the door with the dogs.

She is a night prowess, and brings me all mannar of terrible gifts in the middle of the night.

Now, I lock the dog door at night! LOL!

But I can't keep her in.

If I lived in the city, I might feel different. But in the last 10 months I've yet to see her even show a desire to leave our enclosed back yard, in fact, I've only seen her leave the porch sunshine twice.

So I let her out. Something deep inside me feels like its wrong to force a cat like her to stay inside. So I limit it to the day, and she shows up wherever I am anyway (she is more loyal than my dogs!).
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maple, Jul 11 10:31 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.