Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Cat Health > Need help wiht Starbuck binging on food! Long post!
Starbuck

If I can't eat- it, I'm not- interested.

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:23am PST 
It turns out he just really hated the canned food I was feeding him. MOL! I rotate through a variety of foods and recently found TONS of Wellness 3oz cans for only .30 a can! So I bought every single one. Starbuck had never been a picky eater, especially with canned food. But he really hates this stuff. Today I finally tried giving him a can of something else and he ate the whole can. Then I tried mixing some Wellness with there food and he ate that fine. Hopefully he will stop searching for other food now. He actually opened the big can of dog food last night.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 9:23 am

Cat Health > Need help wiht Starbuck binging on food! Long post!
Starbuck

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 12:14pm PST 
The vet recently told me that Starbuck is overweight. We quickly changed his feeding schedule from all kibble to canned food int he morning and kibble only at night, knowing that if he could have the "good stuff" in the morning he would be less likely to fill up on less desirable kibble at night. His appetite was already decreased from an abscess (the reason we were at the vet in the first place) and he's been on antibiotics since then which could also be affecting his appetite. He's been nibbling at 3oz cans in the morning, never finishing them, and never touches his kibble in the evenings. His personality has not been effected though. He is playful with our new kitten and affectionate towards us.
Recently we've been finding the can we keep his kibble in open every morning. The first time I thought I must have forgotten to close it or had not closed it all the way and the dogs might have gotten into it. The next time I was convinced that the dogs must have learned how to push the lid off the can. So I moved the can onto our balcony where so the dogs couldn't get to it while we were gone.
Yesterday I took the dogs to work with me. When my boyfriend got home he found the screen door opened just wide enough for Starbuck to get through and the can open. Then he ate a some of his kibble that night, which he hasn't done in weeks. But he didn't touch his canned food this morning.
I suspect he is doing his now because he wasn't filling up in the morning but didn't want the kibble in the afternoons. Then I think he got hungry midday and once he realized he could open the can he just decided to binge on kibble. He will literally make himself sick on the kibble. He pretty much inhales it and then vomits it all back up later.
I don't want my kitty to be starving in the middle of the day, but I also know he needs to lose weight and I definitely don't want him binging on kibble. Should I offer a third feeding when I get home from work? I really don't know what to do to keep him happy and healthy. Any advice would be wonderful!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 9:23 am

Cat Health > Are pregnant cats super affectionate?

Starbuck

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 11:32am PST 
I had a cat when I was a kid who wasn't the most affectionate cat. She wasn't mean, just very independent and only allowed cuddling on her own terms. Suddenly she became extremely affectionate and was constantly cuddling and begging for attention. We soon discovered that she was pregnant.
After she gave birth she returned to her usual self. A while later she became very affectionate again and I told my parents she must be pregnant again. They blew me off, but sure enough she was pregnant again.
I don't know if it works the same way for all cats though.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 3 8:57 am

Cats and a Clean Home > Getting rid of urine smell in an apartment

Starbuck

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:27pm PST 
I'm sorry I can't offer a solution for the smell. But Nature's Miracle has a money back guarantee, so I would ask for my money back. That's odd though. I used the same product when the cat I was pet sitting peed on my boyfriend's jeans and it worked wonders!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:27 pm

Food & Nutrition > Help! Starbuck needs a work out!

Starbuck

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:14pm PST 
Cowboy and Coconut, thank you for responding.
I had been switching between TOW and Kirkland. I work at a pet boutique and spa which sells several high quality foods (TOW, Felidea, and we recently replaced Chicken Soup with Blue). When our Chicken Soup went on sale I bought all the kitty cans that were left since it was such a good price. So he was getting a can of Chicken Soup in the morning (I believe they were 5.5oz cans) and 1/3c of Kirkland (the last bag I bought) at night. Then when I got Cinder (not even two weeks ago) I started doing researching foods (she was emaciated when her foster mom found her at 3-weeks-old) and heard a lot of negative things about feeding elusively dry food. So I bought several brands of grain-free cans. I think right now I'm rotating through Wellness, TOW, Blue Wilderness, and Merrick B.G. Most of them are around 3oz a can and he gets one can in the morning and 1/3c of the Kirkland (I'm just using up what's left but it's gonna take a while) in the evening.
This whole situation gets a big complicated because his eating habits have been thrown off lately. He had an abscess which ruptured and he wasn't feeling good. He went to the vet (which was when they told me he was overweight)and is feeling better now that he has his meds. But he still isn't eating as much as he had been before.
Right now I offer him the portions I mentioned above and pick up what ever is left after about 15 mins.
I am planning on switching him to an entirely grain-free canned diet once this bag of Kirkland is gone. But until it is, I'm hoping he will eat less of the dry food if he isn't really hungry and knows he will get canned food in the morning. I did this with an overweight dog years ago and it worked.
Now as far as toys are concerned, we do have them and a laser pointer as well. He likes his fishing pole type toys but he only wants to play for about 5 mins and then he loses interest. frown
I wouldn't have a problem reducing his food, but I've heard that if you reduce their food too much they might not get enough nutrition even if they aren't underweight. Does anyone have any insight on that?
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need advice on feeding skinny kitten.
Cinder

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 5:55pm PST 
Honestly, I think I legally am supposed to. I'd like to try to avoid it if I can, but I don't know if my vet has an option. I got Starbuck's vaccines updated and they automatically did the rabies.
Thank you for your concern and advice. Cinder is definitely a happy, healthy, HYPER kitten. She's getting so active I can hardly keep up with her. Every day she finds some new way to cause trouble.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 5:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > Help! Starbuck needs a work out!

Starbuck

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:41pm PST 
We took Starbuck to the vet yesterday to treat an abscess. While we were there they told me he was overweight. I've always fed him according to his appropriate weight (about 10lbs) and he did fine for while, but he's become less active since we moved into our new apartment.
Since he is already eating what he SHOULD be eating if he was a healthy weight, I'd like to focus on getting him more active. We just got a new kitten and he has been playing with her more as he gets more comfortable around her. I also plan to dedicate some active play time in our daily routine once he's feeling better. I was just wondering if anyone has any extra advice. Cats are still kind of new to me and it's taken the addition of our new kitten to get me used to keeping them on the same kind of routine as my dogs. Any advice would be great!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:14 pm

Cinder

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:23pm PST 
BK, I have been learning a lot about the shot issue as well. Cinder will be an indoor kitty and I plan on getting the bare minimum. She got two shots yesterday, and I can't remember which they are because my brain is totally fried (I had my other cat and one of my dogs with us and they all got SOMETHING done. It all blurs together.) But I am not planning on getting the rabies shot (for now) because 1: She is exclusively indoors and 2: I have read that this vaccine has been linked to cancer later in life. Any insight on that one?
PS: The vet called today and told us that Cinder's fecal test was negative for worms, which they thought she had due to her severe flea infestation early in life and her pot belly. I guess She eats more than I thought. MOLcheer
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 5:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need help with cats that need to lose weight.

Starbuck

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '12 8:59pm PST 
My vet told me today that Starbuck needs to lose weight too. He weighed in today at 13.75 lbs. I'd like him to be closer to 10 or 11 lbs. He's already being fed according to the guidelines for a 10 lb cat so I don't want to cut his calories. I'd like to get him to be more active. We live in an apartment and we have dogs who like to eat kitty toys which make things difficult. Any suggestions on giving him a good work out? I'm really not sure how much activity he should be getting each day. He's been playing with his new little sister so I'm hoping that helps.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 8:59 pm

Cinder

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 9:07pm PST 
She is doing very well, BK.. Thank you for asking. She's filled out a lot in the week that we've had her. I feel like she's doubled in size lol. She has also become much more outgoing and playful. I saw her play with Starbuck for the first time today. happy dance
We went out yesterday and stocked up on several brands of food. I found tons of Wellness in a sale bin for .30 a can! I bought every last one. That was adult formula though so Starbuck well probably get that. I also have some Wellness Core Kitten, Merrick BC, Taste of the Wild, and Blue Wilderness. All but the kitten formula are supposed to be all life stage formulas. I also bought a salmon oil supplement which I'm now giving to all of my fur babies (we have 3 dogs too). I'm only giving her about a teaspoon a day.
My biggest issue now is that she will east her food until I think she's full, and then she will run of and rest whatever Starbuck hasn't finished. She doesn't care if its wet or dry. She just inhales it. I think maybe she was getting bored with her food so I gave her some Taste of the Wild this morning and she seemed to like it.
Tomorrow she week get her first set of shots. I really hope they take her in the back to do it because I'm afraid I'll cry. Lol
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 5:55 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.