Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Senior Cats > Exhausted with Scooter's CKD
Scooter

Purred: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:46pm PST 
We elected to send Scooter to the Rainbow Bridge this evening. She was having trouble standing and just hasn't been herself the last 5 days since we started treatment. I know some people might have waited longer, but we didn't want her to experience any pain. Her liver had started to fail due to trying to process her body fat after she stopped eating. I'm feeling immense guilt that maybe it was too soon to let her go, but I'm hoping it was the right thing and she understood why we did.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 12:12 pm

Senior Cats > Exhausted with Scooter's CKD
Scooter

Purred: Tue Jun 18, '13 1:14pm PST 
Hi everyone,

Scooter was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure last Friday. The vet had recommended putting her to sleep because her levels were so extremely high. I asked for other options, so we now have Scooter on Sub-Q fluids, Pepcid, antibiotics, and an appetite stimulant. Unfortunately, she's not really improving. She is not eating enough to maintain her weight despite me tempting her with every different food including baby food and real chicken. I feel like I'm just slowly watching her waste away.

Today, she is very unstable on her feet. She keeps trying to stretch out her legs, but she is wobbly and occasionally falls over. I think this indicates that her potassium levels are very low. Unfortunately, she also has heart issues and extremely high creatinine levels so potassium supplements are not recommended.

She has a dull look in her eye, and doesn't seem to enjoy our company anymore. She spends all her time sleeping alone in the corner of our spare room. She perks up a little bit when I go in there and give her love, but it's a far cry from my Scooter that used to seek me out and sleep with me every night.

I had told myself that when Scooter stopped using her litter box and refused to eat or drink, it would be time for her to earn her wings. Despite all these symptoms, she continues to eat some, drink a lot, and always uses her box. I hate to say it, but I'm ready for this roller coaster to be over. I spend most days crying because I just want her pain to be over. I would never put her to sleep just to get it over with, but it's just so painful to watch her go through this.

I'm part of Tanya's CRF group and highly recommend that wonderful group of people to anyone going through this. They have helped me so much with choosing treatments for Scooter. I'm just emotionally exhausted and looking for some support on that end of it now.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 22 12:12 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best cheap food for stray cats

Scooter

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 10:21pm PST 
I seem to have adopted some neighborhood stray cats. My cats get the expensive grain free type food, but I can't afford to continue to give that food to the stray cats. What is a less expensive food that is still decent? I don't want the super low quality food that is just fillers, but I'm hoping to find something a step above that. Thanks for any suggestions!!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 3:49 am

Cats and a Clean Home > At wits end over cat pee

Cheyenne

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '12 4:01pm PST 
One of our cats has completely destroyed our home. She was a stray mama cat that I took in and spayed. I was playing on just putting her back out, but you all know how that goes. We have since moved and she made the move with us. We have lived in our current house for about a year and half. She has recently started spraying and peeing all over the place. We had to replace over a 1,000 square feet of carpet because of her and now she's peeing on the hardwood. She has sprayed on our new baseboards causing them to stain. She has peed on our couch, on our clothes, in her water dish, everywhere!

We have had extensive testing done (blood, urine, etc) and she checks out as a very healthy cat. We have tried Feliway to no avail. We have multiple litter boxes because we have one other cat as well. The litter box is kept clean.

Cheyenne is starting to come between me and my husband. He is ready to take her to an animal shelter, and I am reaching my wits end too. I would never take her to a shelter, but I'm thinking we might have to keep her in one of those outside pens. Does anyone have experience with those? Are they safe? Any other suggestions?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 6:32 pm

Cats and a Clean Home > Cat collars?

Cheyenne

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 9:04pm PST 
Both of our kitties are microchipped just in case. Scooter never goes outside so she wears no collar. Cheyenne is outside half the time so she wears a harness. We had trouble with the breakaway collars getting caught on things and breaking off all the time. The regular collars made me nervous. With the harness, if she were to get caught on something the pressure would be on her chest rather than her neck. She has been wearing her harness more than a year and has never snagged on anything though.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 7:12 am

Cat Health > Cat Coughing
Scooter

Purred: Sun Nov 13, '11 7:27pm PST 
I just stumbled on this thread and it reminded me of Scooter. She has been having "hacking" fits. It looks and sounds like she wants to cough up a hair ball, but she never does. She takes a deep breath in and then forces it out about every 3-5 seconds. This can go on for 3-5 minutes.

She recently had an x-ray done, but the vet was looking at her heart not her lungs. She did not mention anything abnormal about the lungs in the x-ray. Maybe they weren't that visible?

I've also had two different vets listen to Scooter's lungs and they both said they sounded good.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 14 9:11 am

Cat Health > Does your vet declaw cats?

Scooter

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 8:07pm PST 
Pandora - That's another really good point. This vet took excellent care of both Cheyenne and Scooter. A very wounded cat showed up at my work about a month ago. It had been hit by a car or mauled by another animal and was very close to death. One of my co-workers rushed it to the closest vet to be put out of its misery. He said the vet told him in a snotty voice that most people wouldn't even bother bringing in a cat like that. I don't know if he meant we should have just let it die or put it out of our misery ourselves, but either way I was blown away that he would say something like that. That vet will never get my business.

Sylvia - My friend also has a cat that was declawed before she got it. I guess I just see it as a totally unnecessary evil. One of my friend's father was a veterinarian who refused to declaw. She did say she thinks some vets do it because they would rather see the cat stay in its home rather than be put outside or up for adoption due to scratching destruction.
[notify]

» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 4:45 pm

Cheyenne

Purred: Mon Nov 7, '11 8:38pm PST 
I hadn't even thought about the fact that every vet I go to recommends Science Diet or some "prescription" food, yet that never deterred me. The staff are extremely friendly and the prices are great so maybe I should just keep going there smile
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 4:45 pm

Cheyenne

Purred: Mon Nov 7, '11 7:49pm PST 
Well I took Scooter in today to get a shot of steroids for her Stomatis. I was very sad to see that they had a little flyer advertising declawing while the cat is under anesthetic for spaying/neutering. The people that work there are SO wonderful with how they've treated my cats both times. I'm in such a dilemma since they so openly support declawing but provide great care for my animals. On their website they do recommend soft paws and training before owners resort to declawing. They then state the declawed cats live "normal, pain-free lives." I just don't know!!
[notify]

» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 4:45 pm

Cheyenne

Purred: Mon Nov 7, '11 12:47pm PST 
We had what we thought was an emergency with Cheyenne. Turns out she just ate something that tasted really bad! We brought her to a vet right next to our house that we had never been to before. They were very caring and thorough with her. I was thinking maybe we should try switching over to them for all our vet needs. I was just checking out their website and they have a whole section about how they declaw cats frown Do you go to your vet even if they support declawing? To be honest, I don't know if our current vet declaws, but I know they definitely don't advertise it on their website. I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma.
[notify]

» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 4:45 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.