Postings by Nataku's Family

GO!

Choosing the Right Cat > Should I get another cat?

Nataku

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 7:59am PST 
My cat is 11 years old. She lived in a multiple cat environment until she was 8. At 8, I got my own place with my fiance and took her with me. It is now just her and us.

Lately I've been getting the feeling that she is lonely. She seems to always be in need of attention and she's even gone as far as to become somewhat curious/social with strangers in the house which was never a trait of hers.

She mildly interacted with the other cats she lived with at my parents house but she never had a close relationship with them. It was more like..."ok lick my head *swat* I'm done with you, go away." I think that may be because the animal count there varied but there was always at least 2 other cats and 1 large dog and perhaps she was just overwhelmed and would have interacted more if it was just 1 other cat? I don't know. Basically, she seemed to like being with other cats but she loses her patience quickly so her interactions were solely dictated by her.

I'm torn because yes, I would like to get another cat, but I do NOT want to do that if she would be unhappy, but I feel like I have no way of knowing if another cat is something she actually wants.
I hate feeling like she's lonely, but I don't want to make the wrong choice.

She is neutered of course, but a dilemma I have when thinking about adopting another cat is that she is declawed (my parents had all the cats declawed because my stepdad made a huge deal about scratching, I did NOT want this to happen, but it is done. She was 5-6 years old or so when this happened)

I know that adopting a kitten would be out of the question because kittens don't know when to stop, so obviously it would need to be an adult. I'm trying to make this decision but I just don't know what to do.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rogue, Nov 15 2:21 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.