Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Cat Health > Cat Coughing & Severe Hair Loss on Tail
Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:52am PST 
P.S. My vet still thinks this new cough is a new herpes symptom, and if I can get Mama to take L-Lysine regularly, the cough might clear up. She's just about impossible to give L-Lysine to. We usually just inject the gel form into their mouths with a syringe, but Mama won't have that. If I give her one dose, she hides for days. I try to put it in her food and she won't touch it. So I've ordered some cat treats dosed with L-Lysine. Hopefully she'll eat them. But knowing her, she probably won't! I'm crossing fingers!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '12 4:26pm PST 
Update: Went to see the vet this morning. He said by the looks of the bald/semi-bald patches on Mama's tail, she is causing the hair loss herself by over-grooming. He said it might be from a combination of things. She's licking to relieve stress and anxiety because she's had a lot of big changes happen this year, but the vet also found one of her anal glands was completely impacted. He drained it and she immediately seemed like she felt better. Since we've been home she seems so much more relaxed. I did give her Bach flower Pet Rescue Remedy for stress before we left for the vet, but I've given that to her lots of times and it never has made her so relaxed. Anyway, I'm supposed to spray some topical spray on the bald spots every day and give her a lot of attention. Hopefully her beautiful fur will grow back and she can start feeling better!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '12 1:14pm PST 
Update: Went to see the vet this morning. He said by the looks of the bald/semi-bald patches on Mama's tail, she is causing the hair loss herself by over-grooming. He said it might be from a combination of things. She's licking to relieve stress and anxiety because she's had a lot of big changes happen this year, but the vet also found one of her anal glands was completely impacted. He drained it and she immediately seemed like she felt better. Since we've been home she seems so much more relaxed. I did give her Bach flower Pet Rescue Remedy for stress before we left for the vet, but I've given that to her lots of times and it never has made her so relaxed. Anyway, I'm supposed to spray some topical spray on the bald spots every day and give her a lot of attention. Hopefully her beautiful fur will grow back and she can start feeling better!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:08am PST 
Update: got an appointment for Mama for Thursday morning at the vet. Hope we can figure this out! Ever since I noticed her tail the other night, I've been keeping a close eye on her and she IS licking it obsessively. Sigh. It's probably stress. But could be allergies or a parasite...hard to tell. Hopefully my vet will figure out what's wrong.
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 9:16pm PST 
I'm not sure about the asthma. She's never had any signs of asthma before she started coughing earlier this year. I have a cat who has asthma, and Mama's cough is very different from his. My vet listened to Mama's lungs during several visits this year and her lungs always sounded clear. When my vet listens to my cat with asthma's lungs, he always hears "something".

I'm thinking this is stress related, and I feel so bad. When we brought our 8th rescue, Gypsy, inside at the beginning of the year, I think that put our house over-ratio. Several of our cats are having issues since Gypsy's introduction. There's a lot of territorial fighting going on. It's a constant battle. I've considered trying to find a home for some of the newer cats (like Gypsy) but it's hard...all of our cats have special needs and their care is expensive and time consuming. I have all those fears that no one will care for them like I do...that they will succumb to their illnesses and die from the stress of seperation from me. I wish there was a good solution that would make everything better, but I haven't figured a good one out yet. I spend money I can't afford to buy cat pheramones to calm my cats nerves, natural remedies that I give some of them for stress...I've turned my small house into a cat house. Every room has a cat bed (actually, multiple beds) cat trees, cat scratchers, multiple litterboxes, multiple food/water stations....I've exhausted all the ways to reduce the stress of a multi-cat household. The stress of worrying about their stress is almost too much for me.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on...I guess I just need to seek advice and comfort from other cat lovers who understand what I am going through. My family and friends think I've got a screw loose and refer to me in jest (but not really) as the crazy cat lady. I guess I am a crazy cat lady. I don't think that will ever change.

Thanks for the responses. Would appreciate more feedback if anyone else has some ideas.
[notify]

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:51pm PST 
Most of the time her cough sounds dry. But sometimes it can sound a little phlemy, but this is usually when she's having a herpes outbreak. During these times she also has some sneezing and discharge from eyes and nose. But that only happens a couple times a year. Like I said, she has had herpes all her life (7 yrs) but she never coughed. She always had sneezing and eye/nose discharge when she had a herpes outbreak, but never cough. My vet has suggested her cough is due to her herpes, but why would she start coughing after 7 years of having it? I'm so confused.
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Mama

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:43pm PST 
My cat Mama is around 7 years old. For the past year she has had a dry cough. She has had the herpes virus her whole life but has never had a cough until this year. My vet ran blood tests on her and did a physical exam a couple months ago. He didn't find anything abnormal, but I questioned whether she might have Bordetella because shortly before her cough began, we brought in a semi-feral 10 month old kitten who's siblings were feral and living outside, and I noticed in the spring several had coughs. The kitten I brought in got seriously ill with some sort of upper-respiratory infection a month after she came to live inside. I know bordetella is not so common in cats, but I take care of a feral colony and there are a lot of ferals and strays in my neighborhood.

Anyway, when I told my vet I thought Mama might have caught Bordetella from our new kitten, he gave her medicine to treat Bordetella. But her cough never stopped. When she coughs, she stretches her neck out several times, as if something is stuck in there. I asked my vet if she could have a growth in her throat, but he didn't think she did, and he said to find out he would have to sedate her and put a scope down her throat. I decided not to do that because he said it would be expensive and I am constantly poor from the expenses of caring for so many special needs cats.

Tonight, to my horror, I noticed that Mama's tail was so thin, maybe half the amount of hair that she has always had. I found a bald spot at the base of her tail. I could find no abcesses, no sores, no sign of trauma.

Does anyone know of a connection between hair loss and a cough in a cat? I am calling the vet immediately in the morning, but I always want to get second opinions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Shana

P.S. I do want to add that from Nov 15th to Nov 29th I was in Florida taking care of my grandmother who fell and broke her hip. It was the first time in years that I have been away from home. I'm wondering if my absence caused Mama stress. Also, one of my other rescue cats has been going after Mama a lot, intimidating her.

Right now she's licking her tail. Maybe she's over-grooming b/c of stress? She has always been REALLY attached to me. And a strange thing is she has always slept in my bed, but in the past couple months she has been sleeping somewhere else.

Sorry I'm writing a book, but Mama is my #1 girl and I am freaking out. I should also add (sorry!) that I have recently been diagnosed with salmonella. I know this is so dumb, but often I let Mama have a couple gulps of my milk after I've eaten cereal. Could I have given her salmonella??? I know, I sound so paranoid. But it's been one horrible year. I don't know if she has diarrhea because I almost never see her use the litter box and I have 8 cats, so it would be difficult to tell. We do have one elderly cat with chronic diarrhea. No cause has ever been determined for his diarrhea. We've had his stool tested SO many times and nothing is every found in his stool or blood work. Ah! Cat rescue is so frustrating!
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 2:15 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need Advice on the right cat food for elderly cat

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:38am PST 
Sorry...just noticed you guys were talking about IBD, not IBS. I'll look that up and see what I find! Thanks!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:38 pm

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:35am PST 
My vet has tested Munches thyroid (several times over the past year, btw), which was always normal. I don't know much about IBS in cats, so I'll have to look that up.

My worry is that I have spent so much money on switching him to different kinds of cat foods, and he doesn't like any of them (except that horrible Friskies!) I can't afford to keep buying these expensive brands, and hoping he'll like them (when most of the time he doesn't).

I was hoping someone knew of a healthy dry food that is not too outrageous in price. Or are there semi-dry/wet cat foods out there??? Something softer so it would be easier to chew for him? Like I said, he refuses to eat canned wet food to my dismay!

My vet really is a good vet. I've been going to him for over a decade and he has saved the lives of many of my rescues and given me discount after discount because I rescue and he knows I'm poor. I can't really afford to find another vet (nor do I want to). I have taken Munch in so many times over the past 2 yrs to find out why he has diarrhea and vomiting, and all of the tests show nothing. My vet thinks Munch may have issues because he has herpes (all of my cats have the herpes virus).

I will try him on a new food to see if I can find one that agrees with him...but I was hoping I could get it narrowed down to the best dry food for a cat his age and in his condition so I don't go out and buy a ton of different brands that he won't eat.

Has anyone else had issues with Taste of the Wild? My other cats seem to like it, but for some reason Munch does not. I thought it would be a good food cuz it's grain-free. I really liked feeding them the Blue Buffalo, but there are so many strange ingredients (all the berries, etc) and I think it was too hard on Munches stomach (and some of my other cats as well). I need to find a cat food that is similar in price to TOTW & Blue Buffalo, b/c I am feeding 8 so it can get VERY expensive (and I'm pretty poor!) Most people in my financial situation give their cats the cheapest food they can buy, but I sacrifice to feed my cats decent food. But it's hard. I know some of the food a couple of you mentioned are out of my price range.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:38 pm

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 4:45am PST 
I have 8 rescues, and Munch,one of the oldest (14 yrs) has lost a lot of weight recently. He is part Maine Coon and was always very large (16 lbs) but now he's probably only 12 lbs.

He's been to the vet who drew blood, did a physical exam, and fecal exam. Nothing was found to indicate what is going on with him.

Another worry I have is that he vomits A LOT.

I feed all my cats Taste of the Wild dry food, but he seems to not like it. I fed them Blue Buffalo dry for a couple years, but it really didn't agree with Munch. He had horrible diarrhea, and since switching to the TOTW, his diarrhea has gotten much better. But I don't think he likes the taste.

He's constantly trying to get into the container of dry Friskies I feed my feral colony. But I don't want him to eat that. When he does, he pukes up red dye puke. I know that stuff is not good for him.

Any suggestions on what I could feed Munch instead of TOTW?

My biggest issue is that he REFUSES to eat wet food. I have been trying to get him to try it for years...all different kinds/brands. He has no interest. He doesn't even like cat treats...only dry cat food.

I am at a loss for what to give him to fatten him up. Making home-made food isn't the answer either b/c I've gone that route and it was a no-go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 8:38 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.