Postings by Felix (In Loving Memory)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Converting a kibble addict
Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:20pm PST 
Oh, do I feel your pain! It took me literally about two years to get my Coopurr off the kibble.

When I brought him home as a kitten, I made a huge mistake. They say to give them some of the same "comforts" they had in the shelter. Start with the same litter. Food. Coop had both wet and dry in the shelter, although I"m a huge advocate for a wet-only diet. I tried to wean him off the dry, but he was SO stubborn. Eventually, though, I did just take up the dry completely. But that didn't work either. He would fuss and fuss with the wet food. Sniffing it. Trying to bury it. Walking away. And a lot of times, he just wouldn't finish his meals.

He, too, got to the point where I had to bribe him -- putting his Temptations treats in his wet food to get him to eat. Then he gained two unnecessary pounds, and I got slapped on the wrists by our vet.

I remember, we went home that day, and I decided that it had to be tough love or nothing. No more cookies during the day -- only a couple of treats at night right before bedtime. The first couple of days were rough. All he would do is bug me and badger me for treats. I stood my ground.

By the end of that first week, he figured out that bedtime was cookie time and ran to his dish every night as I turned out lights. By the end of the second week, he was eating a wet-only diet.

Just be firm. The bonito flakes are a good idea. Just use them in moderation.

And I really wish you luck. I know how difficult they can be. And you're just trying to do what's best, but they don't understand that at all.
Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Beep, Apr 25 4:24 am

Cats and a Clean Home > My Butt Stinks, and I Fling Litter Everywhere
Coopurr

Purred: Sat Apr 20, '13 8:28pm PST 
I know this won't be helpful, but just to let you know that...well..SOMECATS...one particularly named Coopurr...just dig and dig and dig...and DIG. I've had him since he was about five months, and he's done it from day one. Now, he's 4. And still does it.

I can only recommend a tray under the litter box and a litter box with a hood. It still doesn't deter the huge mess he makes. There's always litter outside the box.

But he's gorgeous. And super-sweet. And smart. And I love him. And he loves me. So we keep each other. In spite of his sloppy potty habis.

Good luck, but I feel your pain...
Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Beep, May 11 4:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Self-Cleaning Litter box?

Coopurr

Purred: Thu Mar 7, '13 11:23am PST 
I've posted about this time and time again. We had a ScoopFree. "HAD" being the operative word.

Coopurr can be a very curious, rough and tumble little boy. Add his intelligence quotient to that...and it's the perfect recipe for trouble.

Coop figured out pretty quickly that if he went in the box, the sensor would send the rake over the litter a few minutes later. Hence, he started going in the box, getting out...and WAITING until the rake went over the litter. And he didn't just watch it. It had to chase it.

What happened with aforementioned litter box? Coop kept chasing and chasing and pulling on the rake...until he finally BROKE it.

So if you have a curious, strong little boy...I'd say stay away from it.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Coopurr, Mar 7 11:23 am

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > I do not recommend the CatIt drinking fountain

Coopurr

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:38am PST 
We can't have a drinking fountain for Coop because little paws love to play in water! I'd have a huge mess!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 24 6:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Revealed-PetSmart BLACK FRIDAY ad

Coopurr

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:22pm PST 
Thanks for posting! We'll be going!!!!!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Amber, Dec 2 4:03 pm

Catster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > HSUS -- Do a Fact Check!
Coopurr

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '12 10:21am PST 
Well, I actually have a beef with the ASPCA. I was in their corporate offices in New York City rather recently. Their BRAND-NEW, SLEEK, MODERN offices. All I kept thinking was, "How much did this cost and how many animals could have been saved for the money they must have spent???"

It infuriated me. I support their work, but I won't ever support them with my wallet again. There are much more deserving animal charities who don't waste their money like that.

Purrs,
Coop's mom
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Monster, Nov 16 3:11 pm

Who's Feeling Silly > Kitty Theme Songs!

Coopurr

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 4:28pm PST 
Bowie's "Boys Keep Swinging" for Coopurr. Because nothing stands in his way...cuz he's a boy. Albeit a momma's boy. And while he's so incredibly sweet, he's really bought into the fact that he can get away with anything...because he's cute...and because he's a BOY!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Coopurr, Oct 21 4:28 pm

Kitten Corner > How were you named?

Coopurr

Purred: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:53pm PST 
Coopurr. After Anderson Cooper. He was even featured on Anderson's website last season because I have a video of him gnawing on the head of my Anderson Cooper bookmark! LOL!
[notify]

» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Mordecai Sabestain, Jul 8 4:29 am

Food & Nutrition > Not a fan of canned? Or is something else going on here?

Coopurr

Purred: Thu Oct 4, '12 6:46pm PST 
I feel your pain! And BK's mom can even attest to this -- because she knows Coop well.

First let me say congrats and kudos for being diligent about canned!

My Coop is a picky eater and a kibble addict, too. Admittedly, I did something really stupid when I brought him home as a kitten. And my advice is don't do what I did. It's all about tough love.

They tell you when you bring home a new cat, try to give them what they're used to in the shelter for the short-term until they get used to their new environment -- litter, food, etc. Well, Coop had both wet and dry at the shelter. Some fish flavors -- which I'm against, but that's what he had. So that's what I did.

THREE YEARS LATER...I finally got him on the diet I wanted him to eat. I feed a small can in the morning and a small can at night. And I'd left dry for him. First, it was weaning him away from the fish. That took quite some time. He'd eat the dry but wouldn't finish the chicken and turkey. And beef...NO WAY. It took months before he'd finish a complete canned meal after I completely eliminated fish from his diet.

Then we had the kibble problem. And I was reluctant to remove the kibble all together because...what if I get stuck on the train...what if...what if...? But I finally took it away. And he still wasn't finishing his meals. So I lost my job...I was home all day....and he was just so stubborn about eating that I started bribing him with treats. If he had his cookies, he'd nibble at the canned. And we actually got to the point where he started to enjoy the chicken and the turkey. But I still had to bribe.

Two pounds later....Coop weighed fourteen pounds, and our vet said to me, "He has enough problems with the herpes, I don't want to have to teach you how to give him an insulin injection."

That's where the tough love kicked in. I came home that night. No more cookies during the day. I started a new routine immediately where he only gets five treats in his dish at bedtime. Can in the morning. Can at night. And that's IT.

Within about a week...COOP WAS A NEW CAT.

He stopped begging for treats all day. He cleaned the bowl with each meal within about an hour. (He grazes -- he doesn't eat it all in one sitting. But he never has, and that's OK.) Slowly over a couple of months, he lost the two pounds our vet wanted him to lose. And now, he's actually eating the occasional can of beef. And on weekends, I give him a treat of "junk" food -- he gets a Fancy Feast appetizer on Saturday afternoons -- AFTER he's had his breakfast. If we're having a fussy day, he has to eat it all before he gets his treat.

Again, BK's mom can tell you -- I drove myself crazy with this food thing. But it took three years and my finally putting my foot down before he'd eat what I consider an OK diet. Small can in the morning. Small can at night. Five treats before bed. And he's actually ASKING for breakfast and dinner now -- which is something he NEVER did. And he's at the perfect weight for his size and bone structure.

I'm sorry this is so long, but it's just my own personal cautionary tale. Just be firm, and they'll adjust. Quicker than you think!

And one other little tidbit. If you baby is prone to URI's, give them l-Lysine. It's a supplement that really does seem to help fending off the URI's. I give Coop the treats -- it comes in all forms -- but he's responded best to the treats. And I give him the daily recommended dosage, then I up the dosage if he's sneezy or has a little cough.

Good luck, and be strong! Our purrrrrrrs go out to you!

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Smithwick, Oct 12 11:13 am

Kitten Corner > leaving a very clingy kitten home alone to go to work... :(
Coopurr

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 10:58am PST 
Here's one stop shopping for you! I got this for Coop when he was a baby. It's a soft cat, and it comes with heating packs and a battery operated heart that simulates the momma cat's heartbeat.

http://www.doggonegood.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=produc t.display&product_id=11805&ParentCat=43
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by socks, Oct 28 3:58 am

(Page 1 of 51: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.