Postings by Bear DB #165a's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Big Harry is gone
Jasper,- Angel- Dreamboat- #49a

Can I get you a- drink?

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:06am PST 
Oh, no! I just saw that message on the Kewlest Cat page, too. We are devastated. Big Harry was one of our very best friends. Sending sad purrs to his family.
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Jul 2 10:19 am

Plus Power of the Paw > HURRICANE CHECK IN AND HURRICANE CENTRAL
Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Thu Aug 25, '11 7:54pm PST 
Mom will working in New York when Irene is supposed to reach us, but she's in Midtown, not Long Island or near the shore. She's going out tomorrow before work to stock up on litter and food for us in case she can't get back and Dad has to take over. OK by us. Dad is much more generous with the people food and the treats.
[notify]

» There has since been 182 posts. Last posting by Charmaine Neville, Sep 2 6:25 am

Cat of the Day & Week > What is the difference between Diary of the Day and Diary Pick?

Can I get you a- drink?

Purred: Sat Sep 11, '10 2:50pm PST 
Is that right? You can only be Diary of the Day once? Wow! Now I know why Alfie's mom gifted me with that nice portrait memento that I posted to my page. It was my 15 minutes of fame!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Colorado * In Loving Memory *, Nov 9 11:03 am

Cat Health > How much does your cat weigh???

Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Fri Aug 13, '10 9:26pm PST 
Good advice on mixing in the liquids, Bumpurr's mom. Jasper, the cat with the early CKD, happens to be a big fan of water. Between that and the regular wet food, he has been stable for about two years, without subQ liquids. I am thankful for every day.

I am in awe that you feed your cats in their carriers! Don't know how I'd manage that.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Aug 18 12:27 pm

Cat Health > How much does your cat weigh???

Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Tue Aug 10, '10 9:35pm PST 
I'm a year and four months old now, and over 13 pounds, all muscle. Like Maine Coons, we Norwegian Forest Cats don't fully mature until we're about 5 years old. Mom figures me for an adult weight of 16-18 pounds.

My sister Vicki is a Ragdoll, and also a slow maturer. But she's a female and when she had already reached 10 pounds at 10 months of age, Mom cut back her rations a bit. She's a month younger than me and now weighs 10.5 pounds.

My other sibs are all mixed-breed shelter cats. Jasper, the eldest, weighed 12 pounds at his max weight. At 15, he now weighs 10 pounds, and since he's the most active of any of us, it's all muscle. Severian is also 10 pounds, all flab, we suspect. What a sloth.

Our sister Onyx, who has an eating disorder (stemming from having to fight for her food as a kitten, we think) was once a very porky 16 pounds (she's petite, with very short legs and tail) but is now a divine plus-size model at 12 pounds.

My cats always ate dry food until Jasper developed early-stage kidney failure and needed to increase his fluid intake. Now I feed mostly wet (Wellness, Blue Wilderness, Fancy Feast, By Nature), with a bit of high-quality dry food free-choice (Royal Canine).

Introducing the grain-free foods was a chore. It seems that cats, like people, can develop carb addictions.
[notify]

» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Aug 18 12:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > Frozen mice recall

Can I get you a- drink?

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 2:41pm PST 
I know a lot of cat owners prefer to feed their pets "pinkies," and wanted to make sure you all were aware of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/business/global/30mice.html?_r =1&scp=1&sq=frozen%20mice&st=cse
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fee Verte, Aug 29 8:31 pm

What I Love About Catster > Kitty Koffee Korner

Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Mon Apr 26, '10 4:05pm PST 
Guess I got the recipe right this time. Three judges said Bear was "groomed to perfection." Still, he kept losing first in premier to a red tabby Persian who was some kind of wonderful. But he got 8th best cat in the longhair premier specialty ring (beating five GPR entries in the process) and got a lot of pretty rosettes. We all had a good time and Bear got some roasted chicken on the way home, so he was a happy cat.
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lowell, Oct 28 5:42 pm

What I Love About Catster > Kitty Koffee Korner

Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Mon Apr 5, '10 9:32pm PST 
I'm guessing both -- not getting him adequately degreased and not getting all the soap out.

Sunday we did another bath, not ahead of a show, just practicing. I got a deeper Rubbermaid tub that I could fill at a greater depth than my kitchen sink, filled it with warm water and immersed him to the neck. He seemed to tolerate that better than the spray wand. Then I put him on a towel on the counter and lathered him up with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then back into the tub, followed by a rinsing with the spray wand in the sink. I followed that with another shampoo with Eqyss pet shampoo, and another loooong rinse with the spray wand. And then I used Eqyss conditioner, about a tablespoon diluted in a pint of warm water. Another looong rinse.

I intended to use a vinegar rinse after the Eqyss shampoo but forgot.

I slicked off as much water as I could with my hands, then towel-dried with warm towels from the drier. Then I completely blow-dried him, using only my fingers to fluff up the fur. Took almost two hours.

He looked pretty good, I have to say -- the white britches and belly hair were very fluffy. The mane and ruff seemed a little floppy (too much conditioner?). His tail was magnificent, but the fur on the back and hindquarters, while silky and smooth, didn't seem to have much lift. Still too much grease?

The judge said the bath needed to be done weekly during the show season whether the cat was being shown that weekend or not, to prevent buildup of oils. That sound right to you?
[notify]

» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Lowell, Oct 28 5:42 pm

Cat Health > help! cat attacked by dogs !

Can I get you a- drink?

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 9:57pm PST 
Hope Molie is on the mend. One of the reasons we're all kept inside is that Mom knows too well the expense and anxiety of accidents. She used to farm, and the cats were working animals. But all it took was an encounter with a car, or a leg-hold trap, or a raccoon, or a dog, and she was out several hundred dollars if she was lucky and out a beloved cat if she wasn't lucky.

So we stay inside. The last of the indoor/outdoor cats was Patch, who survived his duel with a pickup truck as a young cat and happily lived indoors for the rest of his long life. He whined for a couple of weeks but got over it. Cats are creatures of routine. You just need to help them find a new one.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Angel Dreamboat #49a , Apr 2 9:57 pm

Cat Health > Neutered!
Bear DB- #165a

Uff da!

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 9:43pm PST 
Bear had an undescended testicle, which the vet had to find and remove through an abdominal incision. So he had more than a standard neutering -- not quite as invasive as a spay, but an incision with stitches.

Still, he came home the same afternoon, apparently none the worse for wear. The vet did send him home with pain medication, but explained that it was more to keep him a little sedated and quiet. He certainly didn't seem to be in any pain, but cats are awfully good at ignoring or hiding that.
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gomez, Apr 4 12:13 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.