Postings by River's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Cat Health > Looking to Adopt a FIV+ Cat!
River

nom noms?

Purred: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:18pm PST 
Hi there again!

Now, I'm going to be honest with you, my mommy, she's like... crazy old... like... 26? 27? Something like that! She's not a cool young kitty like us! (I'm somewhere in the 8-10 range; hard to tell cause I was an adult rescue!) Anyways, my point is, we don't know you, so we don't know if you are a very mature 12 year old or not, but if you've checked out my family members, you'll see I have a sister at the rainbow bridge named Dinah. Now, I never met Dinah myself. Dinah was my mommy's first cat, she crossed over the rainbow bridge mommy's senior year of college right before graduation. Mommy was 22 years old when she graduated college and Dinah lived to be about 12, she came to live with mommy when she was just a baby kitten, so you can do the math! Mommy adopted Dinah when she was younger than you! If your mommy thinks you are mature enough to have a pet and the only hang up is the kitty you bonded with has FIV, the good news is that shouldn't be a problem! FIV is no big deal in most cases, and as we all ready discussed, pets don't come with guarantees no matter who they are or how healthy they appear.

Dinah had a brother named Panther, they were adopted together at around 12 weeks old. Panther was my Aunt Elsie's cat. Panther only lived to a little under 2 years before he became very sick very suddenly and went to the rainbow bridge, it was very hard on my mommy and her sister, it was very hard on Dinah, you don't want your beloved pet to have to leave so young, but that's a pain that doesn't ever become easier no matter how old you are. If you're ready to take on the responsibility of another life and to love it no matter what and your mom agrees with you, then you are ready for this kitty. Obviously, my mommy wouldn't disagree that a 12 year old can adopt and care for a kitty, she did, and Dinah had a great life with her until she had to leave. Mommy still thinks about her all the time, she still loves her, and misses her. She was one excellent, feisty, cranky lady!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by River, Jul 23 3:18 pm

River

nom noms?

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 8:02pm PST 
That's my mission in life, getting the facts right about FIV! It's not a death sentence. As I'm always saying, yes, a kitty can contract FIV and die relatively early as a result, or you can live a long healthy life and never show any signs, both are totally possible, that it's always a gamble that any living creature will get sick and die young, you can't live life afraid to love something or someone because they might get sick and die on you and you can't bank on a 'healthy' pet never getting sick!

Dental is definitely very important. If you can train the new kitty to allow tooth brushings, that's a great thing to do. I get my teeth cleaned professionally usually once every other year. This past time I had to have a fang removed (it had been chipped when I was living on the streets after being abandoned before finding mommy and daddy. It finally developed an abscess and had to be removed fast to keep me healthy, but that's unrelated to my FIV) I have never displayed any negative health symptoms that can be directly linked to my FIV, but my parents do watch me like a hawk to make sure I stay this healthy! I eat a very selective diet of mostly wet food and high protein. I was prone to crystals in my urine but again, that's a problem lots of male cats get, not a big problem with the ladies, and not related to FIV, a diet with lots of water and running water fountains to encourage me to drink took care of that.

I'm glad you liked my pictures! After mommy responded to you she finally went and updated my page (Can you believe she still had my Valentine's day background up? SHEESH!) So thanks for getting her to do that for me! Imagine, making excuses that she's too busy to maintain my catster page!

You'll find that almost everyone here is super supportive and caring, if you ever have any questions, you can feel free to ask them and these awesome people will help you out! We are a big family here and we would be more than happy to welcome a new FIV positive kitty into the mix. I really hope you can convince your mommy to take a chance with this kitty! FIV is not a death sentence and we lead fantastic lives with our awesome families! There is absolutely no reason to fear taking on an FIV kitty over any other rescue baby, if you're ready to take a chance on caring and loving for another living creature you're ready to take a chance on an FIV positive baby if that's the one you bonded with! I know that my family are my world, I love them and I'm thankful every day they took a chance on me, even with the FIV. I know they were scared at first, but I think I can safely say everything worked out for the best for all of us!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by River, Jul 23 3:18 pm

River

nom noms?

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:27pm PST 
Hi there! My name is River and I'm FIV positive! Tigger gave me a heads up about you and I came looking, I finally found the thread! Thanks so much Tigger!

What can I say? I've lived with my family for nearly 5 years and have only had routine health concerns that any old kitty can get, I'm super duper bonded with my gorgeous Siamese sisfur Simone and she's still FIV negative (just retested again at our last dental cleaning) and I think I'm about 10 years old but still going strong! Let me know if there's anything you want to know, I also know of a few other FIVers around here like Orange Ruffy and Gleek, both are fantastic examples of healthy and happy FIV kitties! Check out my profile page, you'd never know I was sick if you didn't all ready know!
[notify]

» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by River, Jul 23 3:18 pm

Cat Health > FIV+ Care and Advise

River

nom noms?

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:38am PST 
That's my standard response to anyone with an FIV question so everyone knows how harmless the disease is! The article on Alex's webage has lots of really good tips and hints for FIV kitty owners, but in the long run, an FIV positive kitty might not require anything special, it's hard to say. It's really a very overblown disease in most cases.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 15 5:17 am

Cat Health > FIV+ Care and Advise

River

nom noms?

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:35am PST 
Or... check out the RIVER CAT himself! Hi there!!! HI angel Alex!

I'm FIV positive and have been for at least the 4 years my parents have had me! I'm somewhere between 8 and 10 years old and I likely got FIV when I was attacked on the streets after being abandoned, however, you'd never know. I'm a love bug whose full of energy and life. I'm so full of life and love, my family and even my vet often forget that I'm FIV positive because you'd never know that I was 'sick' to look at me. I even have a super beautiful Siamese sister who I live with and am bonded with. I play with her, wrestle with her, share the same food bowl, water fountains, and litter box, not to mention toys and beds, and she's still FIV Negative!

Definitely check out my story on Alex's webpage, my mommy wrote that about me cause I'm super duper special! After reading it, if you have ANY questions whatsoever, post them here, send me a message, I'm happy to help out. FIV is NOT a killer disease. It can stay dormant for years and many cats never even develop signs of the disease and live long happy lives eventually crossing over the bridge for completely unrelated reasons. It isn't an airborne disease, like so many people fear, and it is really hard to pass between cats. The only way to pass it is through deep fluid transfers (like with HIV in humans) such as a deep bite wound or sexual contact. If you've been fixed and are well behaved, no problem. Heck, we use to foster kitties in this house and none of them ever got my FIV either, it's just that hard.

I promise, FIV is NOT a death sentence and you'll probably never even notice you've got it! Lots of vets are sadly misinformed about the disease so you'll have to make sure you have a good one who understands it, but really, an FIV cat is just like any other cat! I can introduce you to a whole pack of FIVers living normal lives in big families, you'd never be able to pick out the 'sick' one in a family portrait!
[notify]

» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Orange Ruffy, Sep 15 5:17 am

Plus Power of the Paw > Major purrs needed for Tigger!
River

nom noms?

Purred: Wed Oct 5, '11 12:47pm PST 
HOORAYS and HAPPY RIVER DANCES! I hope you are home and safe and loved RIGHT now buddy!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Panda , Oct 5 5:36 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Major purrs needed for Tigger!

River

nom noms?

Purred: Tue Oct 4, '11 10:01am PST 
I'm still purring up a storm for Tigger. Any furr know how he is? I just wants Ingen home and Tigger all better, that would make me Happy River Dance like never before!
[notify]

» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Panda , Oct 5 5:36 pm

Plus Power of the Paw > Ingen is missing! POTP needed

River

nom noms?

Purred: Sun Oct 2, '11 12:23pm PST 
No problem! We haven't gathered funds yet so we won't start unless you need it. We do have 70$ pledged though in case you do need it. We just want Ingen to get home soon and safe!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Oct 2 7:02 pm

River

nom noms?

Purred: Sat Oct 1, '11 6:06pm PST 
I agree! Spooky is my new hero! We sent a friend request this morning! I definitely think this is Ingen's best chance. I've got my River paws crossed something fierce for this. This is a truly great community of generous loving people!

Our pledge drive has all ready heard from a few people, if you want to contribute just send us a message! Every little bit helps. The money will either be used as a reward or to help get Ingen home if we need it! If not, we won't be collecting it.

Thank you to all you kitties out there who are pledging to help out and to all you wonderful kitties and families working yourself to the bone to help find Ingen and get her home no matter where you live. This makes my little River heart so full of hope and love.
[notify]

» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Oct 2 7:02 pm

River

nom noms?

Purred: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:50pm PST 
Hi kitties! Mommy is home right now. This is what she thinks is best to do right now. She agrees that collecting money isn't the best thing to do right now, but she would like to organize a reward pledge drive in case we need it, that way, she can collect it fast if needs be. So this is what she'd like to do. If you want to pledge money in case a reward is needed, you can post here or send mommy and me a private message with the amount and your contact information. We'll do paypal or collecting money later if we have to, but this way, we can have an idea of what the reward would be. Any amount you want to pledge would be fine, 50 cents or 50 dollars, every bit helps. If we don't need the reward, we'll never collect the money, or the money pledged could be used to help get Ingen home if that's the case and if everyone is ok with that.

How does that sound to every one? This way mommy will keep a running total of the amount and the people giving in case we need it, we can pull it together fast, if we don't because Ingen is found and returned home tonight, then we don't have to worry about returning the money or anything. Does that work with every fur?

We are starting the ball off with a 10$ pledge. If you want to join in, post or send us a message!
[notify]

» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Alex (sweet angel girl), Oct 2 7:02 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.