Postings by BK's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 205: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Raw food and leaving the cats home for a day
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Dec 22, '14 4:24am PST 
You don't have a picture but I'm assuming you're the same person that wrote about the kittens crying for food? I've never left my cats overnight - I either have someone come in and feed or take the cats with me but I think you'll be ok with food left out. Yes, you can leave canned although you might come back to that problem in the litter box you mentioned. You can get some RadCat - in my opinion it's the best commercial raw out there. Find it in the freezer section of small independent or holistic pet stores.

Honestly, I know a lot of people worry about bacteria but a cat's digestive system is built to deal with it. I often leave raw food out for a couple hours with no issues at all and one of my cats was even immune suppressed. What you might do is leave out some raw that's frozen or partially frozen. That way they can't really eat it until it thaws a bit and there will be less bacteria - plus it guarantees them food for later in the day. Hope this helps!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Beatrice (Miss You! '94-'12), Tue 2:28 pm

Raw Food Diet > The instant switch
BK

Purred: Mon Dec 22, '14 4:18am PST 
Isn't it amazing when cats are fed like nature intended?! Sounds like you have the basics down. Now you can start experimenting with different proteins too. You might want to check out a company called Hare-Today if you're on the east coast for a large selection.

As far as the crying - I would try feeding them more. Kittens burn a LOT of energy and eat incredible amounts of food. Once they realize they're not going to go hungry they may calm down a bit. Then again, they're kittens. It may be a LONG time until they calm down!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Mon 4:18 am

Cat Health > Kitten with FIP...anyone else have experience with this?

BK

Purred: Thu Dec 18, '14 4:37am PST 
It took a while to get diagnosed but once the belly filled with fluid and we knew what it was I had to have him put to sleep within 24 hours. He was just too miserable. He was older - probably around 6 - but had a compromised immune system. I hope you have better luck with your baby.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe, Thu 9:51 am

Cat Health > Kitten with FIP...anyone else have experience with this?

BK

Purred: Wed Dec 17, '14 3:26am PST 
I lost a cat to FIP very, very quickly but is there any chance this could be parasites? Have you dewormed and done a fecal exam?
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Thu 9:51 am

Cat Health > Not eating

BK

Purred: Sat Dec 13, '14 8:14am PST 
Bring her to the vet immediately. A cat that doesn't eat for 24 hours can develop hepatic lipidosis which is really serious. Try syringe feeding her - get something into her until you can get her to the vet.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe, Tue 7:30 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Best way to get a new pussy cat
BK

Purred: Thu Dec 11, '14 4:59am PST 
Cats are very different than dogs and aren't usually much concerned about pleasing you, lol. I've had fosters that don't come out from under the bed for a week until they feel comfortable. So a trial run is very helpful, as is info from a foster.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Dec 11 4:59 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Best way to get a new pussy cat

BK

Purred: Wed Dec 10, '14 4:39pm PST 
It's great that you're considering an older cat because you can really find out their personality before you adopt. Find out which cats have been fostered in a home and you'll get a wealth of info from their foster parents. I foster for a rescue and can always send my fosters in with valuable info about their natures and what kinds of homes would work best for them (best as a single cat, good with kids, independent, etc.). You can also usually "foster with intent". It's like a trial period where you see if the cat fits in well with your home. Always give it at least two weeks - then you'll see their true personalities. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by BK, Dec 11 4:59 am

Cat Health > Anal gland removal surgery?

BK

Purred: Sat Dec 6, '14 8:34am PST 
I don't have experience with this, except for a foster who would leave "evidence" around because she had such bad diarrhea that she seemed to leak without knowing it. Is there any chance this might be affected/improved by a proper diet? Does the cat have diarrhea or does the vet think this is unrelated to digestion and is a purely physical issue?
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin - An Angel Forever, Dec 6 4:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rash/Redness/Irritation?

BK

Purred: Mon Dec 1, '14 5:18am PST 
Google something called rodent ulcers and see if that's what it looks like. If they don't clear up soon by themselves, yes, I think you'll have to head to the vet. frown
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Dec 1 5:18 am

Food & Nutrition > questions!
BK

Purred: Sun Nov 30, '14 4:32am PST 
Feed canned food only, in the highest quality you can afford. Stay away from any grains/carbs. Weight loss in cats should be very gradual. In theory you want to feed for their ideal weight but you may have to feed slightly more at the beginning if they're really overweight. Feed at set meal times - don't let them graze all day. Keep them active with play and you should see the pounds drop. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mikko, Dec 7 9:50 am

(Page 1 of 205: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.