Postings by BK's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 212: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Cat Health > Stomach Issues
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '15 4:05am PST 
I have two long term fosters with IBD, one the vomiting kind and one the diarrhea kind. The vomiter has benefited from a half raw diet and prednisolone, the one with diarrhea has completely cleared up with raw food. If you don't want to try raw you should try a canned with as few ingredients as possible - no grains or additives. The ibdkitties site has a wealth of information that can help. Good luck!
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Thu 8:53 pm

Cat Health > Littler Box Issues
BK

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '15 3:59am PST 
You've answered your own question - a wet or raw diet is the only way to keep her properly hydrated and avoid future urinary issues. There are plenty of tips to encourage her to transition. Here's one good website: http://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf
[notify]

» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Fri 6:06 pm

Cat Health > How to get cats to drink more

BK

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '15 3:56am PST 
The reason your cats aren't drinking is because they're getting all the moisture they need from their raw diet. Cats' bodies were designed to get all their fluids from their food, which is why kibble can cause so many health issues like urinary and kidney problems. If you're not sure and you're feeding ground raw you can add some extra water but I wouldn't worry about it.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Thu 3:56 am

Cat Health > Dental cleaning

BK

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '15 5:18am PST 
I would definitely consider seeing another vet. You'd think they'd be particularly careful with an overweight cat. I don't like that it's not standard there to do bloodwork first.

In my opinion you might try a high protein wet food for weight loss. The carbs in the dry food are what's keeping the weight on. A low carb canned food would help his weight and other health issues.
[notify]

» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Apr 10 5:56 am

Cat Health > Dental cleaning

BK

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '15 5:04am PST 
Yes, it is usual to have bloodwork done before any kind of anesthesia to be sure the cat is healthy enough to withstand it. You can insist on the bloodwork or look for a vet where this is the common practice.
[notify]

» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Apr 10 5:56 am

Kitten Corner > Need forever homes for 4 very special needs kittens
BK

Purred: Sun Mar 29, '15 4:19am PST 
Don't beat yourself up - you made a mistake and now the lesson is learned. Once you're sure what the kittens' disabilities are you should search on a place like Facebook for groups that specialize in that disorder. For example, there are groups there for blind cats, CH cats, etc. Usually they have a section for adoptions and will let you post the kittens. Be sure to include your location and contact info.
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 29 4:19 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...

BK

Purred: Sun Mar 29, '15 4:14am PST 
Glad to hear Cisqua is doing so well1 If you can't find organ meat at your regular grocery store I reccomend butchers, Greenmarkets and ethnic markets. Sometimes you have to be a detective to find exactly what you want!
[notify]

» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 29 4:14 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw - have some questions...

BK

Purred: Sun Mar 22, '15 10:31pm PST 
When BK decided he didn't want kidney any more I switched him to sweetbreads for his "other" organ. They were a little harder to find but they worked well.
[notify]

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by BK, Mar 29 4:14 am

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?

BK

Purred: Sun Mar 22, '15 2:55am PST 
Here's where we run into problems. What you state as fact, we feel is your opinion and you don't see it that way. You keep talking about your nutritional training and it sounds like the class was taught by a Hills rep, which is common in vet school. I respect veterinarians very, very much but the one thing I don't believe they're taught well is nutrition. Most nutrition classes are taught by or sponsored by the big pet food companies who have a vested interest in selling their food. There haven't been enough scientific studies about feline nutrition at all.

So please, try to be as respectful of other people as we're trying to be to you. Caster is generally a friendly community and we'd like to keep it that way.
Approved by forums moderator

» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Mar 26 6:51 pm

Food & Nutrition > What are the least expensive brands of grain-free cat food (both canned and dry)?
BK

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '15 11:41am PST 
I'm not sure how you know everyone here and what their education and experience is. One of the great things about knowledge is that you can always learn new things. That's one of the purposes of Catster - we can help each other learn.
Approved by forums moderator

» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Chloe (1996 - 2012), Mar 26 6:51 pm

(Page 1 of 212: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.