GO!

Is my kitty a Wegie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sonny

100% Cute and- Cuddly!

Purred: Sat Dec 18, '10 4:41pm PST 
Hello, I was wondering if my cat Sonny is a Norwiegian Forest Cat?
[notify]

Gillian's Forglemmigej

Loved by Nicole- Fitterer

Purred: Thu May 12, '11 1:04pm PST 
sorry I don't think so. Looks pretty clearly like a Domestic longhair to me. She is definatly not large enough and at 4 years old if she was a Norwegian Forest she would have much more coat than that. The coat is an excellent way to tell on a mature cat. The mature Norwegian Forest should have two distinct types of hair. Fluffy undercoat wich grows in quite heavily during the winter and than a slick outer coat. If you can not very obviously distinguish two differant types of hair on your cat (there should be no questioning it as it is very obvious on a true Norwegian Forest) than its very unlikely that you have a Norwegiann Forest. Also Norwegian Forests clearly develope thicker, longer winter coats and in the spring/summer it thins out a lot. And these coat changes should be quite obvious also. Also I recommend checking out breed standards. A Norwegian Forest is a large cat that is long and low to the ground with a longer than average tail. They have a equalateral triangular face and a straight nose with no bridge..
[notify]