GO!

Maine Coon Coloring

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Remy

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 4:27pm PST 
I can't figure out what my "official" coloring would be. Would I be black, smoke, blue or silver? Tabby, tiger, bicolor?
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Sun Mar 28, '10 10:34pm PST 
I honestly can't say. You're not a purebred, so that makes guessing more difficult (because purebreds have pedigrees that tell you what colors their ancestors were, which makes it easier to guess what color you might be). More photos would help. You are not a "tiger"--that's not an official color designation (at least with the CFA). Nor are you a bicolor. You do have tabby markings on your legs. Offhand, I would say brown tabby (brown tabbies often present as grey, and as long as your four feet aren't white, you would not be a brown tabby and white). But there seems to be a smoke element going on there somewhere. Cat show (purebred) Maine Coons and the original, indigenous Maine Coons have a few differences. One is that even an indigenous Maine Coon does not necessarily come from a line of exclusively Maine Coon ancestors--Maine Coons mated with moggies, etc. On the other hand, moggies don't have smoke coloration (as far as I know), which means that there may be some purebred something or other in your background. If you're really curious, go to a cat show sometime as a "Household Pet" (the CFA and TICA are both popular registries), and a judge will give you an expert opinion. Even in the purebred rings, sometimes even judges can't figure out a cat's color class. Right now I have three female MC kittens who, at four months, are finally showing their "true colors"--I have one brown tabby, and two torties, but none of the three has truly distinct coloration. As for your having MC ancestry--yup, that seems evident.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Fri Oct 15, '10 4:02pm PST 
I agree, brown tabby. I can't tell what type of tabby (classic, mackerel, ticked etc...) from the photos you posted though.
Could be smoke or maybe could be a ticked tabby?
[notify]