GO!

Do I look more maine coon or Norwegian Forest Cat

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Timmy

Purred: Sat Feb 28, '09 10:41am PST 
Hi my name is Timmy and I was adopted by my new owner because my first owner is still in the VA Hospital. Therefore no one knows much about my heritage. I had four siblings, three were short hair and either black or tabby and one other sibling was long haired and black like me. I have huge feet with heavy tufting especially on my back feet. I have big ears with tufting in them too!! I know that you might not be able to tell from my picture but I also have the fluff, longer hair around the back of my ears and neck. My tail if bent over goes to the base of my neck and is very fluffy. I have a long body. I am a love bug and a talker. I like to be held for a little while but would prefer to cuddle right next to you or near you. I love playing with balls, fur mice, and feather toys. When I lie down to sleep I have a habit of ending up on my back with my paws in the air. I am only 6 pounds right now at 4 months old. I know that this characteristics are also the same for Norwegian Forest Cats. It seems the primary difference might be around the face and ears. I cannot tell if my face is more triangular or square. Can you help me find out some of my heritage by giving advice as to whether I may have some maine coon or Norwegian heritage?
[notify]

Smokie

Mr. Giant Wuver

Purred: Mon Mar 2, '09 10:30pm PST 
wow, i would say that you are a fine lookin of a maine coon to me, budwink
[notify]

Timmy

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 5:04pm PST 
Thanks Smokie for giving me feedback about my heritage!! I have only been with my new owners four days and maybe that is why I am not as active. I seem to stay in the area of my owners and sleep or observe everything, but I haven't been that outgoing yet. Maybe in time I'll fully adjust to my surroundings.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 3:29pm PST 
If you siblings were shorthaired and tabby or black I would say you are probably a Domestic Long Hair.
[notify]

Timmy

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 4:44pm PST 
I know that I am certainly a mix and that is a possibility. If so I must have had a big longhaired parent because my feet are really big and heavily tufted, more so on the back than the front. They must have had really big ears too, because mine look like satellites. My skin is also silky soft and longer on the neck and bottom than on the top. I guess as I grow some of my traits may become mor apparent so that I can discern whether I am a domestic long hair or some type of maine coon, Norwegian mix. Thanks for the imput!!
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Sun Mar 8, '09 11:24am PST 
To me, you look like a domestic long hair with some naturally occurring (as opposed to purebred--difficult topic) Maine Coon blood in you. Naturally occurring Maine Coons are supposed to be related to Norwegian Forest Cats. But NFCs are are relatively rare breed, and the chance of your having a NFC ancestor are slim. NFCs typically have rather small, widely placed ears. Your muzzle is large enough to suggest MC heritage. But the set and shape of your ears suggests pure moggie or perhaps something else--but not NFC. The issue of behavior in determining breeds is difficult. MCs almost are almost invariably fascinated by water. Siamese and Abyssinians are usually very vocal. However, cat show judges go by body configuration and not personality, although they do tolerate vocal Siamese and Abyssinians, and may or may not tolerate Maine Coons who are not laid back. So I wouldn't use your personal characteristics as a guide to your genetic heritage.
[notify]

Timmy

Purred: Mon Mar 9, '09 5:11pm PST 
Thanks Smokie for your input. I am leaning more towards having a little MC and more domestic cat heritage. From owning a maine coon previously I don't have the fascination with water and I seem a lot more doscile than my previus sibling who was into everything and followed my human like a dog. I do like to be in the same room as my owner, but I just enjoy lying nearby.I have learned t0 beg for treats but don't fetch, play chase, or unlock doors like my previous sibling. But I am well loved and cared for by humans! I have the silkiest hair of any other cat my owner owned. It doesn't seem to mat and everyone just loves to pet me!! Thanks again for all the wonderful information!!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Mar 9, '09 6:13pm PST 
My Maine Coons are totally dim when it comes to fetching. My Japanese moggies have always been excellent at this skill. As for silky fur, Maine Coons are typically "shaggy but silky." They look like they have coarse fur, but purebred Maine Coons, like my own, have very silky fur that doesn't tend to mat very much. Harvey needs regular grooming, but his sisters can go for months without baths or combing and just look beautiful.

Edited by author Mon Mar 9, '09 6:15pm PST

[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Tue Mar 10, '09 1:28am PST 
When Roxy was a kitten she would sometimes fetch but now it doesn't happen too often (even though I encouraged it a lot!)
I rescued a litter of 7 feral kittens (DSH) and I still have 5 of the kittens here, the other two were adopted. Only one of them fetches, but he does it with a passion! If I keep throwing the toy he will keep fetching over and over and over...

Roxy is interested in water but she is not interested in getting wet.
[notify]

Squeaky

The lovable- grump

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 7:46am PST 
You're definitely a mixed breed/ domestic long haired cat if you have siblings that were shorthaired.

There could possibly be some naturally occuring Maine coon in you like Leila mentioned, but it's really impossible to determine a cats lineage if you don't know anything about the parents. Purebred cats are usually sold altered or with an altering agreement, so i would say there is little to no chance you have NFC in you. Maine coons are naturally occuring and an old breed in the US there there is a chance of that far in your history. We say you might have "Naturally occuring" maine coon in you because they are different from pure bred pedigree maine coons. I would call you a DLH/Maine Coon mix. You might learn more as you get older and you grow into your features and see how big you get.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2