GO!

Feeding Maine Coon Kittens

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kit-Kat

Born to- Sleep...zzz

Purred: Mon Jul 7, '08 12:50pm PST 
Hi, Catsters! I have a Maine Coon kitten named Christmas, whose profile should be going up soon! My question is, how long should a Maine Coon be fed kitten food? I know that most kitten foods are only recommended for cats up to one year of age, but I also know that Maine Coons can take a long time to reach physical maturity(4 years). Christmas is almost one year old, now. Should I continue to feed him Blue Buffalo kitten food, or should I begin switching him to adult food? Any advice is appreciated!
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Tue Jul 8, '08 8:23am PST 
Premium foods often specify that they are suitable for kittens and cats at all stages of life, but if you are feeding your cat food that has a kitten version, a year should be sufficient. That is what my breeder told me to do, and seems to be common practice. (However, I should add that we are in Japan, and eating Science Diet.) I have never heard that Maine Coons should be fed kitten food beyond one year simply because they grow slowly. Rather, I have heard that the high fat content in kitten food can cause digestive and other health problems if fed into adulthood. If your kitten is purebred, consult your breeder. If your kitten is not purebred, then it is not, strictly speaking, a Maine Coon (although it will carry Maine Coon genes), and for that reason alone should be fed as any regular kitten would be. Check with the food forum on this site; the food people are very informative and enthusiastic and will tell you everything you need to know about food.
[notify]

Kit-Kat

Born to- Sleep...zzz

Purred: Tue Jul 8, '08 10:24am PST 
Thanks, Leila! Christmas is a cat rescue, so I cannot consult his breeder on the matter, but you have put my worries to rest about feeding him!
Thanks Again,
Kit-Kat
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 9:59pm PST 
I would also say a year also... That is what my Maine Coon's breeder recommended. However my Maine Coon kitten is on a grain free diet which is "for all life stages" meaning it's suitable for cats AND kittens so we're not planning to switch...
[notify]

Baby

Proud Mama's- Boy!!!

Purred: Mon Jul 14, '08 2:53pm PST 
You can start to switch at a year, but switch it slowly, because we may get a upset tummy and diaherria. Mom does rescue and tends to foster us Maine Coons.
[notify]

Lisa

Eating makes me- purr!

Purred: Mon Jul 14, '08 7:36pm PST 
Royal Canin has a food for Maine Coon cats from one to ten years old. Here's more about it: http://www.royalcanin.us/products/default.aspx
[notify]