Balancing an Old Dog and a Puppy

Kae

Knows too much- for her own good

Purred: Sat Dec 21, '13 10:46am PST 
I've got two dogs... a 10 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. The 6 month old Cypher has a TON of energy and needs to be stimulated constantly or else he becomes bored and destructive. Kae, my older dog, always looks so sad and depressed when I take Cypher on frequent/longer outings and play with him longer outside... She will ever so often play with him but it's not her favorite thing to do. She's a very anxious dog in her old age and gets nervous and "barky" when I take her places... as in, she doesn't quiet down AT ALL. I also have a very active lifestyle which I would LOVE to take both dogs with me to run errands, but her anxiety mixed with puppy energy is a nightmare. I can't control them both at the same time. The puppy is also MUCH more well behaved and trustworthy (I trust him on AND off leash more than Kae) and he DOESN'T BARK ALL THE TIME. With the days shorter and colder, it's hard to get both of them exercised and happy when I work from 6:30-15:00 and only have 2 hours to get Mr. Energy to settle down so I can sleep at night. I just don't know what to do and I feel awful about not giving Kae more attention... Any thoughts?