GO!

Snack for diabetic cat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai

Purred: Fri Dec 11, '09 9:34pm PST 
The vet has had a hard time regulating my diabetes, and meanwhile, I am starving. Food has become a major source of contention in our house. I am hungry so I eat more than my share and then the other cats are hungry because they do not get as much food. My moms understand that changing my diet could upset my blood glucose level, but they feel bad because I am starving.

I am on high quality wet food and a grain-free high protein dry food. My moms are wondering if there is something they could give me as a snack that would not throw off my blood glucose levels. I should mention that I really did not go for those raw food nuggets. As hungry as I was, I still turned my nose up at it.

Some other kitties on here recommended a site for diabetic cats, but my stupid moms failed to bookmark the site. Any kitty out there remember what it was?

Thank you!
Nikolai
[notify]

Neva

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:01am PST 
Did the vet recommend dry food? I have heard that cats who have diabetes should only be on either canned or raw food only. Even though the dry food may be grain free, it is still not good for cats. Halo makes some freeze dried treats that you just break into pieces. They come in chicken, salmon and beef flavors.
[notify]

Neva

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 4:04am PST 
Two websites that have information on feline diabetes are:

www.felinediabetes.com
www.catinfo.org
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 8:02am PST 
Hi Nikolai,
I've been diabetic for a while, though I'm nearly OTJ ("off the juice") aka remission.

With diabetes, when you're unregulated (and early on), you ARE starving as your body cannot properly process and get energy from food. That's why one of the signs of diabetes is a cat who is losing weight, but wants to eat all the time. As you get Nikolai regulated continue to feed him probably more than normal, as his body has been starving. For snacks, high protein snacks are best. And like Neva said, it's better if you get him off all dry food, even the "low carb" dry food can raise blood glucose levels.

FelineDiabetes.com is a great site for general information and I recommend the message board there for support and information - lots of helpful and experienced sugar cat parents. Here's a link: FDMB
And the diabetes section on catinfo.org has good info, too. Yourdiabeticcat.com also is good.

Nikolai, are you and your meowma hometesting your blood glucose levels? If not, consider this. It's important to know what's happening with the BG levels and how the insulin dose is working. Trying to regulate a cat at the vet can be expensive and difficult (and inaccurate due to vet stress). Testing his BG levels might seem overwhelming, but it will become routine. Here is link with info: Hometesting

Let me know if I can help in anyway. Lots of purrs...

hug

Edited by author Sat Dec 12, '09 8:10am PST

[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 9:05am PST 
Well if it's EVO dry then it should be fine as it has 7% carbs(less then some canned brands so it's defineitly an exception to the rule).

For snacks, just feed dehydrated and fresh meat.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 10:17am PST 
I would second visiting yourdiabeticcat.com, and getting totally off the dry food. The other sites given are excellent as well.

As for snacks, you might try the Wellness jerky treats. No carbs and they're only 1 calorie per treat, so you can give one or two and it probably won't impact the glucose, but you may want to check with the vet first. My cats love them! Good luck! smile

Edited by author Sat Dec 12, '09 10:19am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 2:03pm PST 
Freeze dried meat treats are best way to go

Here is a list of good treats: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,1507742,1507898

Diabetes is very easily managed. Some vets just aren't familiar with how to best manage it shrug Visit FelineDiabetes.com to read all the latest info on how to manage diabetes and join in the message board way to go
[notify]

Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai

Purred: Sun Dec 13, '09 8:32am PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses! To answer some of your questions, the vet actually recommended D/M prescription food which looked like JUNK to my moms so they kept me on my regular food. The reason we have dry food is that we have one kitty in the household who doesn't like wet food. Problem. They also work the same schedule and want to be able to leave something down for us between our 7am and 5pm feeding. I do eat EVO dry food so it is really low carb.

The vet seemed pretty insistent about not changing my diet while we are trying to regulate my insulin, but I am so hungry. My moms are not sure what to do about that.

My moms did purchase a glucometer right after Thanksgiving. It still takes them a couple tries to suck blood out of my ear so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

We had a major snowstorm today, but after my moms dig themselves out, they are going over to Healthy Tails to ask about the various snacks you all recommended. Thank you!!! hamster dancehamster dancehamster dance
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 13, '09 9:27am PST 
EVO dry is "ok" but can still keep your blood glucose levels too high. Try to eat mostly low carb canned food. And try to transition that one dry food sibling to canned food or mostly canned food. Canned food is better than dry way to go

Unregulated diabetics are always hungry because they can't use the nutrients in the food the right way. Free feed the food. You can use a timed feeder to provide small meals throughout the day. A timed feeder can be used with canned food. Some Humans freeze canned food into cubes and leave a ouple cubes in a bowl to slowly thaw out for eating.

Your vet is sort of right. Don't change the diet right away. Removing the dry food has a big impact on lowering blood glucose levels. Giving the usual amount of insulin with all the dry food gone can result in you hypoing. Learn how to test the blood glucose levels at home first and then slowly remove the dry.

Home blood glucose testing is frustrating at first but you can do it way to go See FelineDiabetes.com for lots of videos and tips on how to do it.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 9:57pm PST 
I'VE HAD SOMEONE WHO COULD SHOW ME A GREAT RAW DIET......(BEST FOR DIABETIC CATS) THAT I COULD FIND
2 1/3 TBL (2 TBL 1 TS) BONEMEAL
1 1/2 CUP WATER
3 LBS OF CHICKEN, TURKEY OR RABBIT MEAT
2 EGGS
500 MG FISH OIL
400 IU(268MG) VITAMIN E
50 MG VITAMIN B-COMPLEX
2000 MG (2 G) MORTON LIGHT SALT
IF YOU USE CHICKEN (4 OZ) CHICKEN LIVERS

MY CAT HAS BEEN DOING GREAT ON THIS RECIPIE
HER STOOL IS MORE DRY.......AND LESS MORE EXPECTED.....
BUT IT IS THE HIGHEST IN PROTIEN YOU CAN FIND...........THERE IS no DRY CAT FOOD THAT WILL BE GOOD FOR DIABETIC CATS.......

I'VE DONE MUCH RESEARCH......AND DEPENDING ON THE LEVEL OF DIABETEIS YOUR CAT HAS DEPENDS ON WHETHER just A DIET WILL HELP...
THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO START, BUT PLEASE ASK YOU VET FIRST.........FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND MOST CATS NEED INSULIN FIRST TO REGAIN THEIR BALANCE..........BUT AFTER THEY GET BALANCED THIS IS A GREAT DIET..................
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2