GO!

How long to recover after tooth removal?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Sat Nov 14, '09 7:18pm PST 
A few years ago Charlie had 3 teeth removed. He was back to normal on day one.

Last week he had 6 teeth removed, so I expected him to spend some time recovering. However, he seems to be eating less each day rather than more, and he is still drooling and pawing at his mouth :-( I'm scared they did damage or there's an infection.

I will call the vet that did the dental on Monday if I see no improvement. How long did it take you guys to recover?
[notify]

Lady

the queen

Purred: Sun Nov 15, '09 10:50am PST 
lady had 4 teeth pulled, it took her about 2-3 days to start to get back to being normal. vet said she was under longer than my 2 other kitties, and the 4 teeth where real hard to pull. if your still drooling, pawing i would call the vet, causing the only time lady was pawing her mouth, was when, food got stuck in there. hope your kitty starts to feel better.
[notify]

Sylar

FOOD?! WHERE?!

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 7:53pm PST 
Definitely give your vet a call if it hasn't improved. Pawing at the mouth is usually a sign that something is uncomfortable/painful in the mouth.

Cats that have most of their teeth removed (generally) take 3 days tops to be back 100%. Did they remove any lower canine teeth?
[notify]

Charlie

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 8:11pm PST 
It's been a rough road but I THINK he's finally on the mend. I called the vet and we went out there. They said his mouth looked fine but there was one socket that had a little infection in it. He has been on metronidazole since yesterday, and this morning when I woke up he was at the table waiting for breakfast!!!! I almost cried!!!

They gave me Buprenex yesterday as well - 3 days worth, but I didn't give it to him today. Yesterday it zonked him out so bad he wouldn't have had the energy to eat had he wanted to.

He and Aura played again today, too. Almost back to normal. He's been eating in small bursts rather than two big meals like usual, but I'll take it!

The only thing I didn't like was the vet said they "never" do x-rays after dentals. You would think they would want to make sure all is well. Oh well.
[notify]

Charlie

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 8:12pm PST 
Oh, and I don't know which teeth they removed :-( He only had one canine left tho, and it was on the top. That was the place that was giving him trouble.
[notify]

Sylar

FOOD?! WHERE?!

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 8:38pm PST 
It depends. From what I gather, dental x-ray machines are pricey and unless you go to a bigger clinic, they aren't going to have those x-ray machines. The clinic I work at doesn't do dental x-rays either but we are a very small, privately owned clinic.

Glad to hear your kitty is on the mend. Metronidazole is kind of a weird antibiotic to be on post dental. Was he originally on that after the dental or did your vet switch it? The only reason I asked about the lower canine thing was because the two sides of the lower jaw can become loose if those teeth are removed and sometimes need to be wired together. But I'm glad you took him to see the vet and that he's feeling better. I looked at your profile and saw that he's 14, so that could have a lot to do with it too, it just took longer to heal?
[notify]

Charlie

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 8:49pm PST 
He was on amoxitabs, but he threw those up twice, so the vet switched him. It's weird, because he just took the amoxitabs about two months ago and all was fine.

He is still pawing at his mouth a little bit, but at least he is eating better. I have heard that tooth fragments can be left behind and cause irritation and that's why post dental x-rays are recommended. If he keeps it up I may have to take him to another vet to see.

Do you know what they pack the empty tooth sockets with after they remove canines? (If they pack it?) His has a green tint to it, and the vet said the metronidazole should take care of it.
[notify]

Sylar

FOOD?! WHERE?!

Purred: Tue Nov 17, '09 9:53pm PST 
I don't think they pack it with anything, usually the gum is just sewn shut. I'm surprised your vet didn't go for Clindamycin, as metronidazole is generally used for lower GI issues, not mouth issues. (I am NOT a vet, just speaking from my experience working for a vet).

If I were you, I'd go for a second opinion. The gums should NOT have a green tinge to them, and if he's still pawing, even a little, there's still something going on.

Did you give the amoxitabs right after a meal, or on an empty stomach? Amoxi can really cause stomach upset if given on an empty stomach.
[notify]

Charlie

Purred: Wed Nov 18, '09 8:00pm PST 
Yeah, the green was inside the tooth socket, yuck.

From the research I did, I read that metronidazole is used for periodontal disease.

I also read that amoxitabs can be given on an empty stomach, althought that IS why i thought he threw up the first time. I gave it to him hours after he ate. But then he threw it up again when I tried to give to it him with a meal. Not sure what went wrong there.

The good news is I haven't seen him paw all day today! And he at a huge breakfast this morning!!! Finally, I can breathe again.
[notify]

Angel Onyx

What\'s to eat?

Purred: Wed Nov 18, '09 9:13pm PST 
Onyx had lymphocytic-plasmacytic stomatitis, and had to have all her teeth removed. She recovered pretty quickly, but she was a young cat then, only about three years old.

Two of her brothers (both red tabbys) had severe dental problems, and both got infections after multi-tooth extractions. One required a trip to the all-night emergency vet hospital when his jaw swelled to the point that he couldn't close his mouth.

I think antibiotics are called for in tooth extractions.

I'm so glad that Charlie is eating again and doing better. He's the same age as my eldest, Jasper.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2