Spring Fever Anyone?

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Lady Sophie- of the Great- Hunt

The Baby!

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 7:31pm PST 
Is anyone else starting to get spring fever... that itch that warmer weather and longer days brings to get to doing horsey activities? way to go

Pharaoh (In- Memory)

Let's go for a- run!

Purred: Sun Feb 8, '09 4:16pm PST 
I always loved riding in the winter (without ice!). Senator liked going out in the forest preserve, walking through the snow. It was never too cold for me. I like winter weather. Well, there was that one time when it was 24 below zero -- I could only ride for 20 minutes. Even with all the clothes I had on, I was cold.
eek

The Baby!

Purred: Sun Feb 8, '09 7:57pm PST 
Oh, I think you're a heartier soul then me! I tend to wimp out when it got very cold. I'm doing good just keeping up with the hay and water in the winter. But I always thought I would like to have a horse that you could drive and have it pull a sleigh in the winter.

Pharaoh (In- Memory)

Let's go for a- run!

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 7:24pm PST 
Yes, a sleigh ride sounds so "Christmas-y".

The one bad thing about spring, though, is MUD!

The Baby!

Purred: Wed Feb 11, '09 4:33pm PST 
Yeah, mud can be a problem. We used to live in Ohio and had a lot of trouble with wet ground.

Pharaoh (In- Memory)

Let's go for a- run!

Purred: Wed Feb 18, '09 6:49pm PST 
Since we have only one acre, I had to keep Senator inside during the muddy season. But since he had the barn to himself, I left his stall door opened and he could walk around in the aisle and look out all the windows and over the back (dutch) door.

The Baby!

Purred: Fri Feb 20, '09 9:48am PST 
Right now our little mare is having trouble with one of her eyes. About a year ago she had the same thing and the vet thought it was blowing dirt that had gotten in it. We tend to get some really strong winds. The vet put some meds in it the other day and I have been trying to put more in but Sweets doesn't really cooperate. It doesn't seem to be getting better so I think we'll have to have the vet come out again and see if he can try something else. We like the warmer temps but that often means a really strong south wind.

Pharaoh (In- Memory)

Let's go for a- run!

Purred: Sun Feb 22, '09 5:20pm PST 
Yep. It's pretty hard to put meds in a horse's eye since they're so much taller than you.

Do you think a fly mask would help to keep dirt/wind out of her eyes? Or do you remember when racehorses wore hoods with various types of cups to cover their eyes so they couldn't see behind or to the side? Maybe you could have a custom-designed hood with a full plastic/safety-glass lens to cover her eyes?

The Baby!

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 8:54pm PST 
You know I actually was thinking of that same thing. (great mindslaugh out loud)
I used to use fly masks when we lived in OH and they did ok with them but when it was hot they used to get kind of sweaty under them and sometimes they would try to rub them off. I have some packed away somewhere I think if I can find them. Her eye is better now but if it keeps acting up I may try that. It may also help when things start to green up and I turn them back out on the pasture. They are shut in the lots around the barn now and that is mostly dirt which tends to blow

Pharaoh (In- Memory)

Let's go for a- run!

Purred: Wed Mar 4, '09 5:16pm PST 
Well, they have those "doggles" for dogs. Guess you need a pair of "horseaggles". laugh out loud

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10