We need to do something. What?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Marcus Kitty

I shed >';'< - therefore I- am.

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '08 8:26am PST 
Hi,
Marcus Kitty's mom here.

I originally typed a response to OM's message on tuesday about the tragedy of Catster kitty, "Hello". It turned out to be really long and introduced several points that deserve discussion, so I saved it and started this Forum thread instead. I realize that I'm "preaching to the choir" here, but I just had to vent.
Thank you all for your indulgence.

I'm so overwhelmed. How do we go about changing society, culture, or laws in this matter? Many decades ago, someone from the Humane Society or SPCA came to my elementary school and made a presentation about the effects of not spaying or neutering pets. As a child I understood the message and ramifications, what happened to everyone else?

It was suggested to me that it might be helpful to include the string of messages that have lead up to this Forum topic. My message entry is at the end and it's pretty much the way I typed it tuesday. (I fixed some spelling, cleared up some pronouns, added a sentence or two, etc...)

>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

Date: Mon. June 2
Meowed From: Cleopatra
Meowed To: FOR THE LOVE OF LAUREL
Subject: I have a thought....

err... dream rather....

What if, there was some way to establish a place or a network for kitties and doggies that either have lost their mom or dad, or their parent is terminally ill? I am not talking about a rescue group per say... but some kind of national data base of reputable people that can take these animals in and then they can have a new family to care for them?

I just read some of the new cat profiles on Catster today and there were several older cats (1 was 15, the other one I saw was 12) that have lost their family member to age/ illness.... These poor kitties are in Foster care or in a shelter....

Wouldnt it be nice? Is it even possible, or am I dreaming impossible dreams?????

Date: Mon. June 2
Meowed From: Winnie and Chester
Subject: I have a thought....

We had the same dream, and that group would also work to educate people (and provide them tools) for preparing for their pets if something does happen to them or in emergency (with things like Hazels cards and a national database of emergency contact info. And not all of it would have to be created fresh if it could work in cohort with the microchip firms a lot of strcture already exists.

Date: Tues. June 3
Meowed From: Orange Man
Subject: Re[2]: I have a thought....

Sadly, we still have to educate people about the microchip program.

For those of you who did not see this horrible story, a Catster was grabbed up by a neighbor, shoved in a pillow case, taken to animal control and was killed, even though a scan would have given contact info:

http://www.catster.com/cats/447652

There are so many things that can go wrong. Even when you try to plan ahead. It is so scary. We have to be even more vigilant if the shelters and animal control do not even scan them.

OM and Family

Date: Wed. June 4
Meowed From: Fredericka
Subject: Re[3]: I have a thought....

This is horrible! I cannot believe Animal Control didn't even check for a microchip! And what's with the neighbor?

Uggghhhhh! Some humans are beyond help!

Disgusted and purring sadly,
Fredericka
and family

Date: Wed. June 4
Meowed From: Orange Man
Subject: Re[4]: I have a thought....

Yes, mom is disgusted and saddened also.

As a feral guy, mom does what she can to take care of me, and I spend a lot of time on the porch, but she cannot protect me as she does the other babies who are inside. She worries about me all the time.

I was, however, curled up in the lawn chair this morning waiting for my breakfast. She got me to come inside once, but it was too scary. She has tried for weeks to trap me for a check up, but I remember how those traps work and I am not touching that platform. At least no one could put me in a pillow case.

OM

Date: Tuesday June 3, 2008
Meowed From:Marcus Kitty
Re: "I have a thought...." Messages

Forum Topic: We need to do something. What?
----

(Meowmy trips over Marcus Kitty getting on her soapbox, while ranting ideas as they come to her...)

OMC, Orange Man!
It's so disheartening. And where I live, even with ID & county registration tags they're "kept" only a few days, if lucky.

Under the law, aren't pets considered property?
They LOOK for your SS# to be engraved on electronics, they could LOOK for microchips.
And - they hold on to recovered property a little while I think, more than a week I'm sure, before auctioning/raffling it off - with notice. Animals are certainly high maintainance "property" though and consume more than just shelf space, but aren't given even close to the same respect as a hunk of fancy metal.

I wonder how hard it would be to increase the "property rights" of pets when it took so long and so much controversy to give humans the "human rights" of equality under the law. Aren't we interesting creatures ourselves.
In these increasingly tougher economic times I imagine that finding the resources to fix something that most don't respect or acknowlege as a problem would be difficult, to say the least. Perhaps everyone feels so overwhelmed by it like me, and we're somewhat paralyzed.

Also, I've read that in addition to plain ignorance & disregard, some places can't afford to get more than one type of scanner (if at all). The ID chip technology is not compatable between brands.

My dream would be to see a lot more PSA's in the media regarding pet overpopulation & reponsible ownership. (Ah well, I guess I'd need to PLAY the lottery in order to WIN the lottery to fund a project like that.) I think that most people don't know, or want to know, the cold hard statistics of what actually happens in their local shelters because of irresponsibility and lack of community funding & donations. If the shelter doesn't specifically call itself "no kill", then they probably do at some point.
Even the "nice" ones.

Hmmm, maybe one of those signs like what they post outside the police dept (or wherever) showing the local DUI's, auto deaths, crime stats, etc... from one year previous to current. Do you think that would upset enough stomachs to get people to spay/neuter/adopt? I like the current national ads, but they give national stats and people think, "Oh, well our community isn't representative of the average. It's other communities." It's way too easy to brush off. It's not personal. The info needs to become local to encourage and show progress or decline. I think they don't already do this because they're worried about public outcry against themselves. Probably also embarrassed? I would be. But outcry is what's needed, and it would have to be emphasized that the shelters have not created the problem, friends & neighbors at large have, and that
it is an "emergency" that the shelters can't keep up with the overpopulation.
Our living property, furry family members, have become litter (abandoned trash) on a public nuissance level. As is often the case, "some" have ruined things for "many".

So many other social problems are on-going, systemic situations that are complicated in their causes and solutions.
One trip to the vet. Done.
Problem solved, simple.
Each and every person would make a huge difference easily.
Just like reigning in small pox; eliminate the ability to spread the problem in as many carriers (of reproductive organs) as possible. Not saying that China is a model for human rights issues by any means or that there aren't unfortunate side effects, but for example: an entire huge country has long "discouraged" families from having more than one child due to overpopulation. Perhaps we could require a breeder's license to let one's pet retain breeding capabilities. The non-abiding animals that slip through would be easier to control and rehome.
Is this a precurser to controlling human procreation? Not unless we're also considering treating orphans, runaways, and foster kids the same way animals are treated. Apples to apples, oranges to oranges; over-identifing with your pet's reproducing "rights" perpetuates animal suffering, strains public systems, and isn't good for your pet's health either. There just aren't enough resources to handle the volume of animals going through the shelters. At some point breeding restrictions would be loosened, but not repealed. We have many laws designed in an atempt to regulate: speed limits, emmigration quotas (right or wrong, we have them), land use zoning, watering restrictions (areas in drought like FL), "right to bear arms" regulations, ....... maybe that's an idea. It's not unprecidented.

And still thinking along the lines of how other property is handled/respected, maybe having your pet tattoed is another way to go. If you're like me and feel that marking the ear detracts from the aesthetics and cosmetic beauty of every animal, a new standard trend could be introduced where the tatoo is put in a typically unseen area, like on the chest next to the front left leg (or right, whatever's consistant),
and would need to SIMPLY BE SHAVED to find.
Every shelter & clinic could be "encouraged" or required to shave that area for stray and new pets. That's infinately cheaper than buying special equipment. And the shaved spot you could see would guarantee that the animal has been checked. The tatoo could include a hotline # (or small symbol or code to identify the registry company used) along with the ID# assigned that pet, or pet's family, as well as indicating having been altered. Or any combination of info as it's acquired. I don't know how difficult it would be to tatoo the pet in this way, but hey, if they're not looking for the chips... and the collar & tags come off...... and it would save your pet's life & bring them home......

(Marcus Kitty forcibly head bonks Meowmy off of her soapbox, to go get his dinner)

Edited by author Fri Jun 6, '08 12:55am PST

Hazel Lucy

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '08 4:04pm PST 
Behind the scenes of the rescue a number of us have been talking about what we can do so that this rescue leads to something than can have a large impact. Going to start a foundation focusing on helping animals left behind by the death of someone, or if the person is going to a nursing home. It will be a 501(c)(3) foundation with a board of directors, etc. It will also be a resource center. It will take time, and we all can be a part of it. The website will be a big part of the effort. We have many ideas and are open to ideas, offers and suggestions. I can't say much more right now. But please know, we have been thinking of this for a while and know it can be done!
Hazel Lucy

Marcus Kitty

Purred: Fri Jun 6, '08 4:38pm PST 
That is great!

Can't wait to hear more about it, when the time is right.
You never cease to amaze me. smile

>';'< MK

Orange Man

Feral and Proud

Purred: Thu Jun 12, '08 10:23am PST 
Mom has been looking at the messages and missed this thread. We have local groups that get together, set up booths at public gatherings, etc. and people come by, pick up info, but mom would guess a large majority of them never read it or forget a moment later.

Mom got me fixed so I am not breeding more homeless kitties. Mom took in Tammy and five kittens in the past year. Just imagine if they had all survived out there on there own, how many more kittens would be born just from that little family. By now they would be two or three generations down the line, with the numbers multiplying quickly.

Although there is always a lot of talk regarding spay/neuter programs,
this continues to be an area that truly is lacking in follow up by pet families (and we use that term loosely) and local organizations.

As long as people bring home kitties, put them outside, unaltered and then let more and more generations of kittens be born and all unaltered, it is absolutely impossible to gain control of any of the related issues.

Shelters have very tight budgets and ones mom has volunteered at often hire unqualified and uninterested workers for a lot of the positions, because, lets face it, the old saying you get what you pay for, is true even in the care of these precious souls.

As long as pets are coming in the doors at the rate they are, resources are being exhausted by the sheer volume and everything else is pushed to the side.

Mom adores cute little pure bred pets like everyone, but while there are millions that never find a home every year, the breeding for profit situation is just one more thing that sends mom into a fury.

For anyone who considers purchasing a pet, please consider just taking in someone who comes to your door for a meal, if you set out a bowl, they will come.

OM

Tigger- ♥- Angel DB- #33a

Whatever, I do- what I want!

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 10:44am PST 
My mom volunteers for a local sanctuary. It's sad to see the older cats who come in who don't have a good chance of being adopted. But, they will live out their lives at the sanctuary and receive love and care. It's not the same as having a forever home though.

Hazel Lucy, if you are putting something together, please contact us. We would love to be a part of it.

Tigger, Taylor, Bob and Pippin

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 11:21am PST 
Same here! Count us in too!

Amigo Dog

Sweet little- piggy snorts to- efurryone !

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 1:38pm PST 
OMC!
No wait...,

!!!!! OH MY CAT !!!!!

Don't look now, but the human race just took another step back.
Check out this forum post:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/531584

Meo wmy is getting ready to travel overnight so didn't get to read the whole thing yet, but she will later on tonight.
OMC, OMD, what in the world!

(Will check back when possible.)

Marcus & Amigo

Edited by author Fri Jun 13, '08 1:42pm PST

Orange Man

Feral and Proud

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 2:21pm PST 
We just looked at this newspaper article. This is just pathetic. How can things like this still be happening. When is civilization supposed to be kicking in?

Marcus Kitty

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 2:29pm PST 
Meowmy just took some time out to email the AK news article to some local news stations she has bookmarked, but probably won't be around to see what they do with it.

Perhaps someone else has time to send it to the national news?

In addition to cruel, isn't it illegal to abandon domesticated animals in a national forest?

Marcus & Amigo

Ele' - Elphaba- Harriott

Pink, please

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 4:55pm PST 
"Here is Wednesday's news release from Mayor Valley:
Ladies and Gentlemen:
This morning we began the process of dealing with our animal shelter problem. I have met, today, with Ms. Gloria Higginbotham. She is heading up a committee to create a county-wide animal shelter and perhaps with the participation of all governmental units, we can provide the kind of facility that will be deemed appropriate. "

If they can't handle the problem at the existing shelter, why do they thing they are capable of creating and managing a LARGER shelter???????????

You know, in another group that we are in, we were discussing a situation in CT, in which a man is barred from joining the police force because he tested "too high" on an intelligence test. He took it to court and lost. And yet this issue in Kansas is exactly why we need intelligent people in law enforcement and government.

This is terribly sad. An absolute travesty. If I were a member of that community, I would be be pushing right now to have that mayor removed from office for incompetency. cry

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2