Veggie Tails!!!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 8:36am PST 
so i'm thinking it would prove beneficial if we all disclose what part of the country we live in, as growing seasons vary and it's hard to give advice to someone living in maine if you're someone in kentucky (like me).

i live outside of louisville, kentucky, which is considered zone 6 on a growing chart. we've got a pretty ideal growing season here...it still gets hot enough for hot-weather plants like okra and a lot of pepper varieties, but it also gets cool enough to have a decent length of time for cole crops.

i am 27, and this is mine and the DH's 2nd year growing our own garden. i'd consider myself an intermediate gardener...my parents have always had gardens that i always helped out in, so i know quite a bit, but not nearly everything.

i'm really excited about this group and hope it takes off!!!

Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 10:38am PST 
I like this!

Well, I am in upstate South Carolina. We are zone 7 which is pretty close to the same growing climate as 6. We just can't grow some of the cooler weather plants.

This is my first year with a bigger garden. Me and hubs actually planted it behind my parents house because we don't have quite enough room at our house. We take care of the thinning and all that good stuff every couple of days. Fortunately, my dad waters it for me in the mornings (when it doesn't rain).

We've planted okra, red green and yellow bells, tomatoes, lettuce, cukes, green beans, corn, watermelons, canteloupes and jalepenos (I think that's it anyway)

Everything is coming up great. We hope that it continues to rain like it has been here (We were in an exceptional drought (17 inches below normal I think) and now we bordering between extreme and just serious I think (we are about 14 inches below normal)).

Last year we did a patio garden with tomatoes, green bell peppers, jalepenos and herbs. It did really good and we've moved onto a bigger garden because veggies have gotten so expensive in the grocery store.

I'll be 25 in a month and love to garden!

Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 10:52am PST 
Hi Maggie! wave I saw a newspaper article just this morning about how vegetable gardening is really growing in popularity, especially this year, because of grocery store prices. It's always been popular with my family because of grocery store tastes, blech.

We haven't transplanted anything into our actual garden yet. You never know what the weather is going to do in Kentucky until after Derby weekend...it has snowed here the first weekend in May before! We're planning to start setting stuff out soon...if it'll stop raining, that is!

This year we expanded our garden a bit; it is 25'x40'. We are planting bush beans, field peas (purple hulls), tomatoes, okra, red/orange/yellow/green bell peppers, tabasco peppers, cukes, squash, zucchini, collards, spaghetti squash, broccoli, cabbage, canteloupes, watermelon, pumpkins, and corn. i also do common herbs and lots of flowers. i plan to do a LOT of canning/freezing this summer.

If anyone has a great salsa recipe, I'd love to have it!!!

Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:05pm PST 
Hi. DH and I live on the edge of the Mojave Desert in sunny and hot southern California. We get sufficient days below freezing to keep the peach and the cherry tree happy, and temps over 110 in the summer to challenge the saviest tomato grower. The black mission fig is happiest in the summer. Humidity in the summer runs about 5%. Today the humidity is 12%.

We have a great farmer's market, so in this garden I mostly concentrate on tomatoes and corn. I grow peppers for fun and because I like to dry the organic ones. And Japanese eggplant because I like it better than globe and that's all we get around these parts. Today Dutch and I stopped by Lowe's and loaded up on tomato and pepper plants, organic corn seeds and basil. We have an herb garden which overwintered nicely and after being cut back and having all the dead/mulch removed off the top should produce like crazy again this year. I have experimented with okra - which I love - but the bugs just worried the plants to death. Beautiful flowers on okra by the way.

I have gardened for over 20 years on my own and as a kid my Dad and I always had a vegetable garden, so I've got lots of tips and am happy to share.

Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:05pm PST 
I've got a pretty good salsa recipe at home. I'll try to remember to post it on Monday. My hubs likes it anyway

We have to plant mid April in order for everything to sprout and become strong before it gets to hot. Heck, its only early May and its already in the mid 80's here. By June we'll be hitting 90 or above.

We reallllly realllly wanted to plant broccoli since my whole family loves it but since we've never done and actual tilled up garden before we wanted to hold off on it but we are already talking about doing potatoes and broccoli next year. We'll have to till up more land but that's okay.

Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:08pm PST 
Hi Dutch!

I've got a couple of friends from Cali (Escondido) and they really miss the avocado trees that are apparently abundant in California.

We have peaches and strawberries abundantly growing here. There are many orchards to go and pick them yourself. My favorite is near Hendersonville, NC called Strawberry Hills.

Dutch

Hey, Big Dog!

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:26pm PST 
We have a pick it yourself cherry orchard about 10 minutes from here. Lots of peach orchards and about 35 minutes north in the mountains apple orchards. We actually have to shade the tomato plants if we want any kind of production because the fruit gets sunburned easily.

Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:34pm PST 
Maggie, you can grow a fall crop of broccoli since you're in a warmer climate. Same thing with cabbage, cauliflower, any cool weather crop.

Potatoes are so much fun. We grow Yukon Gold potatoes (which are fabulous). I love to dig potatoes, it's like finding buried treasure, bol.

We also grow radishes and lettuce, I forgot about those. And lots of sunflowers. I'm hoping to have a very Better Homes & Garden looking garden this year; I've got my plot all charted out on graph paper, what to plant where and how far apart the plants/rows need to be. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 12:44pm PST 
I live in central Oklahoma in zone 7. This is my (and my husband's) very first year gardening. We made a raised bed - its 9' by 9'. Our yard tends to flood since we've had so much rain the last 2 years so we actually raised it off the ground. Now I'm worried that they aren't getting enough water. We might have to do something different next year.

My big mistake this year was not thinning the plants. We seriously had no idea what we were doing, so the things with seeds were all planted too close together. My friend who knows more about gardening kept telling me to only keep the strong ones, and I thought that sounded so Herbert Spencer and elitist or something so I never did it. Once I did it, my herbs took off smile Then I did it too late with my carrots and radishes and they are pretty much dead now.

Most of my garden is tomatoes, sweet peppers, and hot peppers. I'm putting in an heirloom watermelon variety this weekend that I got from the farmer's market. I started my tomatoes, peppers, and peas in peat pellets and they did pretty good.

I'm also growing salad greens in a container. I think I should thin those too but I just can't make myself do it!

I also have flowers around my house that are fun. I've never been much of a gardener. My mom is much better at it than me.

I'm 26 and just hit our 1 year mark in our house! About to have our 1 year anniversary. We have gotten into the whole green living thing, which was one of our motivations for the garden. The other motivation was to save money on tomatoes because we eat them like they are water. And salsa too!

Maggie

Maggie Pooter- Scoot

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 1:13pm PST 
We might just try some broccoli this fall then! I think I might just start doin a little research on fall crops so we can till up and put down new stuff after our current stuff dies out.

Yummy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2