I'm new and having the I-131 treatment tonight

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 2:01pm PST 
Hi kitties - thank you to Skylar for inviting me here. My mom will definitely need your support as I'm in "irradiation" for the next 10 or so days! shock

Going in tonight – two hours from now – for the radioactive iodine treatment. Mom’s nervous, but mostly because she’s concerned about how long I have to be in there. The vet says 10 days is the minimum according to federal regulations. I asked him about some people online who have said their cat was only in for three or four days…he said that the clinics who allowed that are actually breaking the law. Hmmm….

I’m sure Mom will be updating you all on my status frequently! Thanks again for allowing me to join you!

Abbie

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 6:18pm PST 
Good luck, Bailey! We'll all be thinking of you and wishing you and your family the best! I know this next week or so will be tough for you and your family, but just think: you'll be cured! I can't do the iodine treatment because I have kidney failure, so I take medicine every day. You won't have to worry about that! Please let us know how everything goes--

Abbie

Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 8:24pm PST 
Thanks, Abbie. I had the treatment tonight and the vet called to tell my 'rents everything was OK. Only 9 or so more days to go...

Abbie

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 8:35am PST 
Excellent news--so far so good! smile I know you've got the countdown going....

Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '08 7:05am PST 
Update - well not really, as they always say the same thing when they call..haha..but Bailey is "fine, eating fine, no problems."

Not counting today, we have six more days until we can go pick him up. I can't wait. It's especially hard at night when he's not there to come up and cuddle.

Have others in this group had the treatment done? I'm curious as to exactly how careful we have to be once he gets home. I'm sure the vet will tell us before he leaves the hospital, but I'm just curious..

Abbie

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 12:16pm PST 
You're almost there! smile That's always so comforting to hear when they're eating well and everything is going as planned. I think Ashleigh is a Radiocat, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you p-mailed her. Sometimes these forums don't catch your eye, and she might not have had a chance to check recently. But she always enjoys sharing her story and is very supportive! I think Ashleigh traveled all the way to D.C. to get hers done. Anyway, hang there, Mom--your furball will be home before you know it! smile

Ashleigh (In- Loving- Memory)

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 4:47pm PST 
HiYa Bailey's Mom!!!! I'm Ashleigh! And I too am a RadioCat! I'm sorry I haven't been on here in a while....would have liked to have eased your anxiety a little sooner. I had my I-131 on 9 March 2006 am as contrary as ever! I'm 18 years old, and am the bread-USER of the family Not intentionally mind you tho. I wish I knew how to pull up some of my earlier posts but bottom line is I am CURED and have been due to that shot. I went into the "Spa" on Monday morning, got my shot (OUCH! --course I don't like needles, so anything pricking my beautiful coat woulda hurt) mid afternoon (around 1-2-ish) and my mom picked me up at noon Friday-AFTER my radioactive levels were at the safe level to be around other "breathing" creatures (human and animal)....I'm not sure why your doc told you it was illegal, but every STATE has different laws as far as acceptable radioactive levels. And just to put my situation into perspective, I got on a PLANE in Washington, DC (Dulles Airport) on the Saturday following my shot (5 days). Ok, no biggie, right? Except since 9-11 they've got these scary booths where you step inside (I had to get out of my carrier and be held by mom). A "gate" came down behind us and in front of us and we couldn't go anywhere...then there was a very strong "POOF" of air all around us shock This poof happened again and then we we stepped out--I couldn't WAIT to get back in my carrier by then!!! What we didn't know at the time was that this booth was some sort of chemical detector shock Had my radioactive levels been too high we surely wouldn't have been able to get on the plane--ESPECIALLY in our nations capitol where ya can't get up to tinkle 20 minutes before landing or 20 minutes arriving in DC (by commercial airliners)!

Anyhoo, you will get some very specific instructions on what you can and cannot do with Bailey when he comes home--Btw, he sure is a handsome young man!! LOVE his colouring and that gorgeous MANE!!!! red facedancing Ok, so the nurse or technician will give you this list and by the second day the only thing you will probably be doing is disposing of Bailey's waste (pee & poo) properly! This you will have to do for about 2 weeks (if memory serves me correctly). They gave mom "flushable" kitty litter, a scoop, a litter pan, and a BUNCH of rubber gloves. Mom did put me in her room by myself during the day while she was at work and she kept the boys away from my litter box and food & water bowls. You will be told to "limit but not stop" cuddling. That went right out the door the first night when I broke into mom's room at Grandpa's house so I could sleep with her. After sleeping on her t-shirt for 4 nights there was NO WAY anybody was going to keep me from sleeping alone one more night! And nobody in my household has been affected by it.

Did you know that for HUMANS with HT that they get a I-131 shot too???? Yep! And they are quarintined for 2 days (I think). Mom has two friends who've had this treatment...both are cured...like ME smile

Soooo, Bailey's mom, you're DEFINITELY going through the worst of it. Yes, Bailey misses you, but he's not lacking for attention. They will follow your feeding instructions, and at least the first 3 full days, the techs are checking Bailey's radioactive levels several times a day. Theyre kinda scary at first because they look like a big garbage bag with a box, but the thing that they scan over ya doesn't hurt cuz it doesn't touch ya.

Hang in there, and do what you can to follow the rules but don't freak if you can't keep me away from you or any other animals (even human babies). DEFINITELY dispose of the litter tho and don't let anybody eat or drink out of Bailey's food or water bowls.

Keep us posted!!!! And PM me if you'd like to chat or even talk.

Purrrrrrs & Head Butts,
Ashleigh >^..^< kittywishes

Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 8:59pm PST 
Thank you, Ashleigh!!! That is great information!

The vet called and Bailey officially gets to come home Saturday!!! cheercheercheercheer

So we have one other cat and a dog - are we going to have to take extra precautions around them? The dog doesn't have access to the cat litter boxes (she is TERRIFIED of the basement, which is where the boxes are, haha)...but the other cat, Star, shares the two boxes with Bailey.

Bailey

Purrveyor of- Furballs

Purred: Sat Jan 19, '08 5:55pm PST 
WOO HOO!!! Bailey is home!!!!

He's doing well - he hasn't wanted to eat since he got home tonight (about three hours ago), but he was eating fine at the hospital so I think once he gets acclimated to home again he'll eat.

The other cat, Star, is the one acting a little odd right now. I thought he'd show signs of missing Bailey while he was away, but he didn't. But NOW he seems to be a little freaked out, most likely by Bailey's new smells (the radio vet said they might have to "bat each other around" for a bit when they got home b/c they probably smell different to each other, haha!)

Anyway, I'm so glad to have my baby back home. I'm looking forward to seeing him get healthier. The doc said the cats will start growing new hair like crazy and their coats usually look shinier than ever once the hyperthyroidism is cured.cheer

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '08 5:56pm PST

Abbie

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '08 8:18am PST 
Excellent news! Welcome home, Bailey! Whether or not you and your siblings are glad to see each other, I know your mom is SO glad you're home! But do try to be nice--ha! We'll look forward to hearing how the recovery goes!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2