Fiction

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '07 6:21pm PST 
Mom has a novel to read after she finishes Gardens of the Dead and Devil in the White City. (You can tell she loves to read smile )

It's called *The Thirteenth Tale* by Diane Setterfield. Have you read it or heard about it? It was a NY Times Bestseller. A reclusive best-selling author with a tragic past, now old and ill, invites a young biographer, who has her own troubled history, to come and write the story of her life. Of course there must be fascinating secrets about to be revealed!

It looks very good and mom can't wait to read it.

Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '07 8:50pm PST 
Gardens of the Dead? The Thirteenth Tale? You must be in the mood for Halloween! Haven't read either of them. Do you think they'd be too scary for us timid types?

Angel Diva

Purred: Sat Oct 27, '07 6:37am PST 
laugh out loud Yikes! The books do have seasonal titles. Spooky! shock

The Gardens of the Dead doesn't live up to its title. frown

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Thu Nov 1, '07 8:53am PST 
We have to read The Emperor's Children for our little local book group. We left the last meeting before they picked. Not very thrilled with the selection. It was very poorly reviewed on Amazon. Have any of you read it? Maybe we could get the Cliff Notes. laugh out loud

Luna & Kingsley

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu Nov 1, '07 7:07pm PST 
Sorry, I haven't read it. Maybe you can skim through it for your book club? big grin

Angel Diva

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 10:35am PST 
I'm almost finished The Thirteenth Tale. I've enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it. The family and characters in this book are very, very strange, which always makes for an interesting story. big grin It's kind of a *modern gothic* minus the romance. I just looked it up on Amazon and it gets good ratings there too.

The next novel I'll be reading is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Has anyone read this book?

kitty

Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:50pm PST 
Haven't read Shadow of the Wind, but The Thirteenth Tale does sound intriguing! We'll put holds on that one and the one Bisco mentioned--Doggy Style--at the library. They both sound like books we'd like. Gotta finish our Zen drawing books though. And read that darn book group book. Or maybe not. laugh out loud

Angel Diva

Purred: Sat Dec 15, '07 1:02pm PST 
Kingsley, did you ever read the Emperor's Children? laugh out loudlaugh out loud It' still on the NY Times bestsellers list. big grin

I finished Shadow of the Wind and thought it was good and am now reading a mystery, The Tomb of Zeus. It takes place in Crete in 1928 among a group of English archeologists.

cheercheer

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Sat Dec 15, '07 2:23pm PST 
I never did read Emperor's Children. I read the long summary on Amazon and bluffed for the book club. The members of the group seemed to think that it was intriguing? interesting? but couldn't say they exactly enjoyed it. Don't know why I decided I didn't want to read it--guess I wasn't in the right mood. It did seem to be a good book to foster discussion. At least for those who knew what they were talking about. Heehee.

Luna

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '07 10:36am PST 
The Tomb of Zeus sounds like a book I would really like! I love the Amelia Peabody books that are similar in setting. I wonder if Cleverly is a pen-name? Cleverly is the perfect name for a mystery writer! I checked our library and all copies are out. I may have to dig up another Borders coupon!way to go

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4