Kiddy Lit

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '07 5:08pm PST 
We've got old favorites here, and new.
Old: Daddy Longlegs, Mary Poppins series, Trixie Beldon Mysteries, and a host of others.

New: The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck. All of his books are funny, but this one starts with the death of the mean old school marm. The narrator's sister decides she will be the new teacher, and plucks the pointer out of the old gal's hand before they close the lid of the casket. It is hilarious and Peck always ends his tales with a clever and surprising twist.

Kingsley

Purred: Fri Oct 26, '07 8:49am PST 
For the small fry in your human cat-loving families, Skippyjon Jones by Judith Schachner will be a BIG hit! Skippyjon is a rambunctious Siamese kitten who decides he's a chihuahua. It is REALLY fun to read aloud! There are a couple of sequels which include CDs of the books. She also wrote The Grannyman which is such a poignant cat story. Schachner is also the illustrator and the pictures are AMAZING!

Kingsley

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 1:38pm PST 
Just read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. What a wonderful book! It's about a boy who lives in the inner workings of a Paris train station in the 1930's and who becomes interested in restoring an old automaton to discover what the device will write. It's a long book, but is partly told in wonderful drawings, so it only takes a couple hours to read. This book is creative, engrossing, and beautiful! It was nominated for a National Book Award in the children's division. Highly recommended! Couldn't put it down!

way to go Luna & Kingsley

Kingsley

Purred: Sat Dec 15, '07 8:36pm PST 
Need a gift for the dog-loving small fry in your family? One of our favorites is: Once I Ate a Pie by Patricia MacLachlan. It is really really really fun to read out loud! You can tell that the author(s) know and LOVE all kinds of dogs! It is a gem.

Kingsley & Luna

Bisco

Permission to- Touch!

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '08 9:50pm PST 
If you are having Harry Potter withdraw, try the Charlie Bones series! Mom has read four of the books in the series but there may be more now. They aren't as long as the Harry Potter books but are equally as inventive, and also follow an unlikely hero with magical powers.

Kingsley

Purred: Tue Apr 15, '08 8:44am PST 
I just started reading the first book in a young adult series called The Olympians yesterday. This book is The Lightning Thief. It's about a boy named Percy Jackson who gets kicked out of one school after another and is beginning to discover that there is something different about him. I'm only on page 36, so I don't know all the tricks yet, but the plot involves a lot of mythology--I've already recognized a harpy, I think!

I love mythology and this appears to be a well-written combination of mythology and realism! Very absorbing, at least up to page 36!

Your bookworm friend (and action guy),
Kingsley

Kingsley

Purred: Sun Apr 20, '08 7:25pm PST 
Finished the first three books in the Olympian series (the one that I mentioned in the above post.) What good books! If you've been having Harry Potter withdrawal, this is the first fantasy series that I've found that even comes close to being as clever as Harry Potter. I laughed out loud so many times that people were looking at me funny.

The author is Rick Riordan--he has a really fun website too. The fourth book in the series comes out May 6. The really ROTTEN thing is, I discovered today (April 20!) that he was in town YESTERDAY (April 19!) Kitty cusswords! I would have loved to hear him speak!

I am hooked--these are terrific reads, especially if you love mythology.

Kingsley

Bisco

Permission to- Touch!

Purred: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:03pm PST 
I think I've seen those for sale in Barnes and Noble. I'll have to check it out!

Kingsley

Purred: Sat Apr 26, '08 3:45pm PST 
Hi, Bisco! Did you get them??? Do you like them???

Kingsley

Purred: Tue May 6, '08 7:35pm PST 
The fourth book of the Olympians series came out TODAY! I went on my four little paws and got it! It's called The Battle of the Labyrinth! Gotta go read now! Bye!

Kingsley

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5