Non-Fiction

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Toki

copy cat cappy- cot

Purred: Sat Jun 18, '11 10:31pm PST 
I read Dewey and liked it a lot.
But I have a perfect example of an animal story that you shouldn't read because of the sad ending. The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat -I think his name is. It's memoirs from his childhood, and I was loving the book through the whole thing: about the dog, and this AMAZING owl. AND THEN: The TERRIBLE SAD ENDING that made me bawl. I wept. And I was so freaking angry because if I had any clue it was going to end like that I never would have read it. I had that book in my bookshelf from when I was young and had no idea where it came from. I read it because I was bored. frown

Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Thu Jun 30, '11 7:54pm PST 
Farley Mowat has written lots of animal stories, I think, Toki. Didn't he write Rascal the Raccoon? I have not read any of them. smile

I have started In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. So far it is a little slow, but I imagine it is going to pick up soon. Devil in the White City was gripping from the first page--this is so far more boring like Thunderstruck.

I will let you know--I am determined to read it, because it is for my book club and I have been very lazy about the book club choices lately. Bad kitty.

Your friend,
Kingsley

Bigode

Angle baby

Purred: Thu Oct 6, '11 7:27am PST 
The last non-fiction book that mommy read was “A Long Way Gone: Momoirs of a Boy Soldier” by Ishmael Beah (I found this link http://www.alongwaygone.com/). It is amazing!!! It is a history about a boy that became soldier during the civil war in Sierra Leone. It is sad, but has a happy ending!

This book open my eyes to a very serious problem that happens in lots of African countries that we hardly know about because it doesn’t affect the global economy… I recommend this book to everyone!

It’s sad, but is the reality!!!

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 8:52am PST 
LOVED The Hare with the Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal.

It is the true story of generations of the Ephrussi family--a very rich Jewish family a lot like the Rothschilds.

It traces their history through a collection of Japanese netsuke figures.

So well written and thoughtful.

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '12 8:23pm PST 
We are reading Inferno by Max Hastings. Yes, it is about World War II. We just cannot seem to stop reading about the subject. Very strange.

This book is a really good overview of what was happening all over during the war, rather than just from one country's point of view. The author is British and he does not have much good to say about the French military at the beginning of the war. Of course, he doesn't have much good to say about the British military at the beginning of the war either.

Anyway, very interesting book.

Robby Jay

C'mon, I'll race- you!

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:49pm PST 
We just finished Ike's Bluff, a book about the Eisenhower presidency. It was nothing that we normally would choose to read, but we saw the author on TV, and it sounded good. Guess what? It WAS good!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5