Non-Fiction

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '07 5:02pm PST 
This is what we're reading now! We absolutely LOVE anything written by Bill Bryson! (A Walk in the Woods, In a Sunburned Country, Neither Here nor There, A Short History of Nearly Everything, I'm a Stranger Here Myself...). We also like Simon Winchester, Anne Lamott, Betty MacDonald and a host of others!

One of our recent favorites was The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It is the absolutely GRIPPING story of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair combined with the story of H. H. Holmes, a serial murderer. We liked Thunderstruck, by the same author but not nearly as much as Devil. What a good book!

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '07 10:20pm PST 
Oh, Kingsley, mom read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods a few years ago and couldn't put it down.

Mom was looking at The Devil in the White City and almost bought it but hadn't heard anything about the book, so didn't buy it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kingsley

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '07 9:00am PST 
Hey, Mittens! Did you read Devil in the White City yet? This would be a PERFECT time of year to read that book! Way spooky!

We've been reading Zen Seeing, Zen Drawing by Frederick Franck. If you like to draw already, or would like to learn to draw, this is a fascinating book! If you don't think you can draw, this book might change your mind and surprise you!

Luna & Kingsley

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '07 6:09pm PST 
Meow Kingsley wave

Yes, we did buy that book. Mom didn't realize that it's not fiction but history and wandered all over Barnes & Noble looking for it because it's not out on display anymore. She had to ask for help and felt silly because she told them the title and that it was a novel. red face

We're half-way through reading it. It's very good but sometimes when books get very intense or disturbing, mom stops reading them for awhile and will read something lighter and then go back and finish the first book.

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Thu Oct 25, '07 8:56pm PST 
Yes, it is WAY intense! Our Biped listened to the audiobook and she had to turn the volume way down a couple of times so that she couldn't hear the icky parts. The Devil in the White City is not the kind of book we usually read! But it was absolutely riveting! Made a long car trip seem very short!

Kingsley

Purred: Fri Oct 26, '07 1:45pm PST 
Don't tell, but we just snuck away from work and went to get the new Bill Bryson book, Shakespeare : The World as Stage. Now we're back at work but we're going to sneak read it. Until we get caught. shh

Luna & Kingsley

Angel Diva

Purred: Sat Oct 27, '07 6:32am PST 
Way to go, Kingsley! way to go

Let me know if you like the book. We always stop by Barnes & Noble once a week (altho' we don't always buy a book) and if it's a good book, we'd like to read it too.

kitty

Kingsley

Purred: Sat Oct 27, '07 9:25pm PST 
Haven't finished it yet--maybe a third of the way through it, but really enjoying it. Of course Bill Bryson could write the phone book and we'd enjoy it. P.S. We didn't get caught!

Kingsley & Luna

Bisco

Permission to- Touch!

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '07 11:51am PST 
Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson is also very good. It is about the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and is also pretty intense. It makes Katrina look like a walk in the park, mostly because the people then had no warning. I agree that Thunderstruck wasn't as good as the Devil in the White City and I believe that is mainly because the background story of the Chicago World's Fair was far more interesting than the story of Marconi, though his accomplishments are quite impressive.

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Sat Nov 3, '07 3:35pm PST 
We started Isaac's Storm and then got sidetracked. It's kind of nerve-fraying when WE know what's going to happen, but the main players don't. I think we put it down right after we were introduced to the wife and five daughters of the meteorologist. Goners, right? But we will finish it--we normally have several books going at once, anyway. smile

Luna & Kingsley

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5