Fantasy/Sci Fi!

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Hunter

Poop Anarchist

Purred: Tue Jul 10, '12 6:43pm PST 
Awhile back, we read a book called The Scorpio Races. It's YA. It's about this annual race on this island where the men race Water Horses. One year a girl decides to enter the race. There's another kid who is like the water horse whisperer, and he usually wins. My mama liked it because she likes books where girls don't stay in their "place." It's by Maggie Steifvater.

Now we're reading the second book in the Divergent series. Also YA. A city is divided into 5 factions: Dauntless, Abnegation, Erudite, Candor, and Amity. They each work together for the good of the city. As a kid, you're raised within your faction, but when you come of age, you get tested, and then you either stay with your faction or go to another faction as determined by your response to the simulation tests. Usually everything goes smoothly, but sometimes, somebody is Divergent, and then all meow breaks loose, mol!

Kingsley

Troublemeister- in Training

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 9:44pm PST 
Hi Hunter! Those sound like some good books! We usually really like YA books!
Have you read any of The Dresden Files?

Your friend,
Kingsley

Hunter

Poop Anarchist

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 5:30pm PST 
We haven't read those. But i think my mama has seen them in her audiobook catalog. Are they any good?

Kingsley

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:43pm PST 
I do not KNOW, silly Hunter! That is why I was asking YOU!

Your laughing friend,
Kingsley

Hunter

Poop Anarchist

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 7:49pm PST 
MOL! I thought you were recommending the books to us! We're still reading Insurgent (of the Divergent series). It's slow going cuz mama falls asleep 5 minutes after she opens the nook.

Kingsley

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 7:57pm PST 
We just finished reading Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore and we really liked it! I don't know if this the right genre for it or not.

It is a little bit fiction, a little bit fantasy, a little bit historical fiction and quite a bit FUNNY! We love funny books.

It is pretty irreverent, but so were the Impressionists, apparently. smile

Your friend,
Kingsley

Kingsley

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:18pm PST 
We just finished reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It was an amazing book. We have never read much science fiction until recently, and it is fascinating how these authors portray the future.

We don't want to give anything away, but the book was written as a commentary on the Vietnam War, and the main character is caught in the Forever War. It won all kinds of awards when it was written.

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:26pm PST 
Now we are reading a book called The Neuromancer. It's also an amazing look at the future. For instance, some of the young tech punks have a little port behind their ears that they plug little sticks into to upload certain types of information. The little sticks are called microsofts.

And the way William Gibson describes the visual "look" of cyberspace is nothing short of amazing.

Not done yet, but we are liking it!

Your friends,
Luna, Kingsley, RJ & Minerva

Kingsley

Purred: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:35pm PST 
We are reading a book called The Knife of Never Letting Go, and it is a real page-turner! A young man has grown up in a settlement of men only. All the women have died, and the men are left with a strange malady that turns all their thoughts into a constant stream of Noise that they all can hear. The main character is, of course, in mortal danger, but we do NOT know WHY yet!

It's the first book of a trilogy, so it will be a while before we learn all the answers.

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7