NOURISHING YOUR SPIRIT

(Page 9 of 20: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:41pm PST 
wavewavewavewavewavewave
STREAMS IN THE DESERT
L.B. COWMAN
Set Apart
"He went up into a mountain apart" (Matt. 14:23).

One of the blessings of the old-time Sabbath was its calm, its restfulness, its holy peace. There is a strange strength conceived in solitude. Crows go in flocks and wolves in packs, but the lion and the eagle are solitaires.

Strength is not in bluster and noise. Strength is in quietness. The lake must be calm if the heavens are to be reflected on its surface. Our Lord loved the people, but how often we read of His going away from them for a brief season. He tried every little while to withdraw from the crowd. He was always stealing away at evening to the hills. Most of His ministry was carried on in the towns and cities by the seashore, but He loved the hills the best, and oftentimes when night fell He would plunge into their peaceful depths.

The one thing needed above all others today is that we shall go apart with our Lord, and sit at His feet in the sacred privacy of His blessed presence. Oh, for the lost art of meditation! Oh, for the culture of the secret place! Oh, for the tonic of waiting upon God! --Selected

"It is well to live in the valley sweet, Where the work of the world is done, Where the reapers sing in the fields of wheat, As they toil till the set of sun. But beyond the meadows, the hills I see Where the noises of traffic cease, And I follow a Voice that calleth to me From the hilltop regions of peace.

"Aye, to live is sweet in the valley fair, And to toil till the set of sun; But my spirit yearns for the hilltop's air When the day and its work are done. For a Presence breathes o'er the silent hills, And its sweetness is living yet; The same deep calm all the hillside fills, As breathed over Olivet."

"Every life that would be strong must have its Holy of Holies into which only God enters."
GOD BLESS ALL,PRECIOUS
kittybig hugkissing

Van Winkle

Call Me Winkie!

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:30am PST 
wave Good morning, everyfur! Mind if we jump in?

"If religion calleth us to a life of watching and prayer, it
is because we live amongst a crowd of enemies, and are always
in need of the assistance of God. If we are to confess and
bewail our sins, it is because such confessions relieve the
mind, and restore it to ease; as burdens and weights taken off
the shoulders, relieve the body, and make it easier to itself.
If we are to be frequent and fervent in holy petitions, it is
to keep us steady in the sight of our true good, and that we
may never want the happiness of a lively faith, a joyful hope,
and well-grounded trust in God. If we are to pray often, it is
that we may be often happy in such secret joys as only prayer
can give; in such communications of the Divine Presence, as
will fill our minds with all the happiness, that beings not in
Heaven are capable of."
... William Law (1686-1761), A Serious Call to a Devout and
Holy Life [1728]

Amazing- Grace

Princess of the- Ponderosa

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:35am PST 
Thank you for sharing Winkie!!!!!!cheercheercheercheercheerLove it when pups and purrs contribute to the devotionals...way to goway to goway to go

big hugkissingbig hug

Other posts by this user

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:55am PST 
wavewavewavewavewaveMORNING ALL
ACTIVE WORD
BOB COY
Perspective, Perspective, Perspective
God; enlighten my eyes… —Psalm 13:3 (NKJV)
So much of our lives are based on our perspective. The way we see things definitely determines and drives the way we respond to them.
It's like the two shoe salesmen who were sent out to scout the prospects of selling their product in a distant land. Upon arriving, they found that nobody wore shoes. The one salesman telegraphed his headquarters that it would be a useless venture: "Don't waste your time, nobody even wears shoes over here!" His colleague, however, had a more optimistic outlook: "You'll never believe it! Everybody needs shoes, and there's absolutely no competition!"
Perspective, perspective, perspective… it makes all the difference.
We don't know the details behind Psalm Chapter 13. We don't even know when David wrote it or what was going on in his life at the time. But we can surmise that it was a time when circumstances weren't going his way. Everything in life was pressing in and distressing him. And then, halfway through this Psalm, he lifts this prayer to God: "Enlighten my eyes." In other words, "Help me to see things clearly and with proper perspective."
It's a prayer that God apparently answered, because by the end of the Psalm, David is rejoicing in God's mercy and salvation. What changed? David's perspective. Instead of looking at the troubles around him, he began to look at God, and it made all the difference. Just as He did with David nearly 3,000 years ago, God can also give us the proper perspective on our lives. When things around us seem discouraging, God is always able to move our focus to something encouraging…Him.
Almighty God, set our eyes on You at all times and please protect our perspective!
Think About It…
What does this passage reveal to me about God?
What does this passage reveal to me about myself?
Based on this, what changes do I need to make?
What is my prayer for today?
GOD BLESS ALL,PRECIOUS
kissingbig hugkitty

Other posts by this user

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:45pm PST 
STREAMS IN THE DESERT
L.B. COWMAN
wavewavewavewavewavewave
When We See Him Face to Face

"I do not count the sufferings of our present life worthy of mention when compared with the glory that is to be revealed and bestowed upon us" (Rom. 8:18, 20th Century Trans.).

A remarkable incident occurred recently at a wedding in England. A young man of large wealth and high social position, who had been blinded by an accident when he was ten years old, and who won University honors in spite of his blindness, had won a beautiful bride, though he had never looked upon her face. A little while before his marriage, he submitted to a course of treatment by experts, and the climax came on the day of his wedding.

The day came, and the presents, and guests. There were present cabinet ministers and generals arid bishops and learned men and women. The bridegroom, dressed for the wedding, his eyes still shrouded in linen, drove to the church with his father, and the famous oculist met them in the vestry.

The bride, entered the church on the arm of her white-haired father. So moved was she that she could hardly speak. Was her lover at last to see her face that others admired, but which he knew only through his delicate finger tips?

As she neared the altar, while the soft strains of the wedding march floated through the church, her eyes fell on a strange group.

The father stood there with his son. Before the latter was the great oculist in the act of cutting away the last bandage. The bridegroom took a step forward, with the spasmodic uncertainty of one who cannot believe that he is awake. A beam of rose-colored light from a pane in the chancel window fell across his face, but he did not seem to see it.

Did he see anything? Yes! Recovering in an instant his steadiness of mien, and with a dignity and joy never before seen in his face, he went forward to meet his bride. They looked into each other's eyes, and one would have thought that his eyes would never wander from her face.

"At last!" she said. "At last!" he echoed solemnly, bowing his head. That was a: scene of great dramatic power, and no doubt of great joy, and is but a mere suggestion of what will actually take place in Heaven when the Christian who has been walking through this world of trial and sorrow, shall see Him face to face. --Selected

"Just a-wearying for you,
Jesus, Lord, beloved and true;
Wishing for you, wondering when
You'll be coming back again,
Under all I say and do,
Just a-wearying for you.

"Some glad day, all watching past,
You will come for me at last;
Then I'll see you, hear your voice,
Be with you, with you rejoice;
How the sweet hope thrills me through,
Sets me wearying for you.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL,PRECIOUS
big hugkissingkittybig hug

Other posts by this user

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:25am PST 
wavewavewavewavewavegood morning and welcomelet's take a LOOK at the whole picturelaugh out loud

sharing from IN HIS HEART MINISTRIES
Taking the Long Look
"...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2-3

School. It can seem sooo long, can't it? When I went back to school in 1996 to get my seminary degree, I remember thinking as I looked at the degree plan for an MDIV: 92 semester hours ... wow, this is going to take a long time. About halfway into the degree, it started to seem like I would NEVER finish. A big part of me wanted to throw in the towel. But, after nearly 5 years of not giving up, semester after semester, I finally graduated in December of 2000. And it was so worth it.

What seemed like an endless, grueling experience at the time is now just a pleasant, distant memory.

KEEPING PERSPECTIVE

Are you facing some long and arduous days right now? Perhaps you are in school and silently wondering if you'll ever finish. Perhaps you are taking care of preschoolers, wondering if life will always be this exhausting. Perhaps you are going through some serious problems in marriage and family, or business, or ministry ... and starting to doubt if things will ever get better.

In the grinder called life, it is easy to lose sight of the finish line. It is easy to lose the forest because of all the trees. But God reminds us that the way to overcome the especially tough times in life is to keep looking forward.

How in the world could Jesus endure the cross? He kept the joy before Him. He kept seeing the finish line and the tremendous payout on the other side. You and I need to do the same.

SNAP SHOTS vs. END SHOTS

We all have a tendency to see life in a snap shot. Whatever we are experiencing right now is our current reality and sets the stage for our happiness or our sadness, depending on the circumstances. Taking an "end shot" to offset the snap shot is a much better way to live.

God is using all the unpleasant circumstances in your life and mine to mold us and make us into the person He wants us to be. Tears and heartaches are NOT wasted; they are used to teach us to depend upon Him.

When all is said and done, the real test of a disciple is not ingenuity, creativity, or some unknown intangible. The real test is simple obedience, to be faithful to do what the Lord has called you to do until He calls you home. And the fuel to do what He has called you to do is to keep your eyes on the Lord who stands at the finish line. The little couplet says it best, "Though the pathway to glory, may sometimes seem dreary, it pays to serve Jesus every day."

God is at work in you and me. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture of what He is doing and what He has in store for those who are faithful until death.

Love,
Pastor Jeff Schreve
From His Heart Ministries

MAY GOD BLESS ALL,PRECIOUS
kissingbig hugkitty

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:08am PST 
wavewavewavewavewave GOD'S LOVE AT WORK

Support
by Margaret D. Mitchell
Week of December 9, 2012
"Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's business manager; Susanna; and many others who were contributing from their own resources to support Jesus and his disciples." -Luke 8:3
In this scripture, the Greek word for “support” is diakonos, which means to serve and to minister. Here, the women served the needs of Jesus and His disciples as attendants, according to their possessions. Diakonos is operational, which inherently implies contribution and actually doing the work. Think food, finances, influence, acts of kindness, conversation—whatever was required that they could give and do, they did and likely so with zeal. In the previous verse (2), we see that these women were healed and delivered. They, therefore, became bondservants of Jesus out of their grateful hearts.
This kind of support has purpose. It is foundational. It is an element of Kingdom-building. It fosters security, relationship and far-reaching effects. It boosts confidence and helps us feel connected. It is a gift of the heart poured out in practical ways that we can receive and give.
Recently, the Lord gave me a series of face-to-face engagements to simply sit with women and share in the pure joy of mutual stories, the kind of casual conversation that women used to share a whole lot during quilting bees and community service and sometimes still do. These common thread nuggets allow us to feel supported and supportive and help us feel connected in a relaxing, non-agenda way. Such times of restful connections are important, as they allow us to lift our heads from our usual focused work and share and receive fresh insight and inspiration.
Just a few days ago, I took time away from my laptop to sit with two women at an Operation Christmas Child distribution center. The function in which we served involved the simple task of preparing large coloring book pages and small boxes of crayons for others to stuff into donated Christmas shoeboxes for needy children. A friend sat next to me, and a lady I had never met sat across from me. Both were delightful. As we served one another with supplies, as we shared stories of our childhood Christmases, our family traditions and simple pleasures, a joy emerged as well as a bonding and a refreshing.
About a month ago, I sat next to a lady on an airplane who owned a quilting shop. I have never quilted anything in my life, but I was fascinated to hear about her business—her merchandise, her classes, her retreats and especially the camaraderie that exists among her loyal customers. She pulled out a project she was working to finish as a Christmas gift; and to my surprise, it wasn’t a quilting project at all; it was a crochet project. Since my mother taught me to crochet under a big shade tree in our yard when I was ten-years-old, her project especially warmed my heart. It caused me to reminisce, and I felt a sweet peace waft over me. As we shared about crochet design, the comparison of crocheting to knitting, quilt design and the fact that her mother-in-law taught her to quilt when she was a young adult, I knew that I was enriched by this fellowship encounter. I knew that I was not alone in one of my interests, and I appreciated the mental break from my intense ministry work.
God knows just what we need and when we need it. And He is faithful to order our steps to facilitate even the sweet, small elements that are dear to our heart.
All of us can use our God-given gifts, talents and resources to serve one another and to help build God’s Kingdom on earth. We don’t have to have a gift of helps or administration. A simple kind word, a choice of extending mercy and compassion, a shared testimony, a simple text—these are all seeds of support that will return a harvest.
In the Christian movie, Love Comes Softly, the big impact of supporting others by serving them what we have is illustrated. The main female character, Marty Claridge,turns to her new husband, Clark, to try to understand how what little she has to offer can prove pivotal in her relationship with her new stepdaughter and in her own life.
In Luke 8:3, we hear of women who were changed forever by one touch from Jesus; and, as a result, they provided support to Him and His disciples. In this way, freedom became personal and cyclical to them.
How is the Holy Spirit setting you up to support others? In what ways have you seen the cycle of support made personal in your life? What ripple effect has it had? Do you value the role of support?
When we are forgiven for much, we cannot help but love much. May the love of God flow out of us during this Christmas season and beyond. May it become a lifestyle. Pray: Lord, open my eyes, my mind and my heart to receive Your fresh perspective in my daily life. Help me to be a support to others in the ways in which You have called and assigned me, according to what You have given me. When I need to lift my head from my focus, my tasks at hand, enable me to come willingly to receive and share, according to your purposes. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Margaret D. Mitchell is the Founder of God's Love at Work, a marketplace outreach purposed to share God's greatest power source - the love of Christ.
GOD BLESS,PRECIOUSbig hugkissingkitty

Other posts by this user

Purred: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:39am PST 
wavewavewavewavewavewaveMORNING
Senior Living Ministries

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." --Luke 2:13-14
In the year 1809, the international scene was tumultuous. Napoleon was sweeping through Austria and blood was flowing freely. Nobody was thinking about babies, but rather people were concerned with the wars and tyranny that existed. However, the world was overlooking some very significant births during that time.
That year many notable people were born: William Gladstone, destined to become one of England's finest statesmen; Alfred Tennyson, born to an obscure minister and his wife, greatly affect the world of literacy; Oliver Wendell Holmes, born in Cambridge, Massachusetts; Edgar Allan Poe, who began his eventful, yet tragic, life in Boston; Charles Robert Darwin, born to a physician and his wife; and Abraham Lincoln, born in a rugged log cabin in Hardin County, Kentucky.
If journalism and news broadcasts had existed in 1809, these words might have been heard: "The destiny of the world is being shaped on an Austrian battlefield today." But in reality, history was being shaped in the cradles of Europe and America. Similarly when Jesus was born, taxation was the big news. But a young Jewish virgin woman cradled the biggest news of all: the birth of the Savior.
Even today, sometimes the biggest news is the latest product to buy at Christmas, the best vacation spot during the holidays, or the idolizing of icons that have become great symbols over the years during the season. You must remember that the greatest news of all was the birth of Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and resurrection years later. Jesus is the greatest news you could share with anyone this season.

PRAYER CHALLENGE: Ask God to give you the chance to share the Good News of His Son this season with friends, family, and acquaintances who don't know Him as their Savior.
Visit the Senior Living Ministries website
GOD BLESS ALL,
PRECIOUS

hugkissingbig hugkitty

Other posts by this user

Purred: Sun Dec 16, '12 2:42pm PST 
wavewavewavewavewave
LOVE WORTH FINDING
ADRAIN ROGERS
DECEMBER 16
“For Thou Art With Me”
BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.” - Psalm 23:4
DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There’s nothing, my friend, that will bring you more face-to-face with God than going through the dark valleys of life. When you are there, you are going to cling to His garments and hold onto His hand. You won’t stray far from the fold in the dark.
Do you believe that He is with you? The ultimate Sovereign is your loving Savior. You will not have to cross Jordan alone. You will not appear before the judgment of the Holy God alone. You are not going to die alone.
ACTION POINT:
What a joyful promise! You are not alone! Write these words on a card and post it in a place where you can see it all the time:
“I am not alone. God is with me.”
MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU ALL,PRECIOUS
kittykissingbig hug

Hershey

When you're- chocolate, life- is sweet!

Purred: Tue Dec 18, '12 7:59am PST 
Thanks, Precious! He is always with us! And He wants us to know it!

"Of the statements about the essential being of God, none is more comprehensive than *God is light*. It is his nature to reveal himself, as it is the property of light to shine; and the revelation is of perfect purity and unutterable majesty. We are to think of God as a personal being, infinite in all his perfections, transcendent, 'the high and lofty One ... he who lives for ever, whose name is holy' (Is. 57:15), yet who desires to be known and has revealed himself." John Stott

(Page 9 of 20: Viewing entries 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20