Furs N Fluffs Lil Red Skool Haus

(Page 2378 of 2531: Viewing entries 23771 to 23780)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  2373  2374  2375  2376  2377  2378  2379  2380  2381  2382  2383  [Last 10 entry]  
Vern

Yo Vern!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:00pm PST 
Alex, dis for your mama..

Rid Your Home of Stink Bugs
by Annette Ipsan
Stink vi. 1 to give off a strong, unpleasant smell. 2 to be very offensive; be hateful or abhorrent. – n. 3 [slang] a strong public reaction, as one of outrage, censure, protest, etc.
Stink bugs stink. Parts of Washington County have been overrun with this unpleasant and odorous pest. It swarmed on screen doors in warmer weather and is now invading our homes. What is it? Is it harmful? How can you get rid of it? Here are a few answers.
Stink bugs are true bugs in the insect order Hemiptera. There are many different types of stink bugs, but the one that is plaguing us now is the brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys. Accidentally introduced ten years ago in Pennsylvania, it bears the classic shield shape of its family and grows to be about 1⁄2-inch long. Dappled brown, it has a tan underside and a series of black and white markings along the edge of its body.
The good news is that stink bugs aren’t harmful. They are just a nuisance. Stink bugs are attracted to the outside of our homes on warm fall days, hunting for protected places to spend the winter much like ladybugs and box elder bugs. When it gets colder they sneak inside, coming out in warm spells and again in the spring.
The brown marmorated stink bug is an agricultural pest of shade and fruit trees, vegetables and soybeans in its native range of China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. It sucks the sap from plants, damaging their buds, leaves, flowers and fruits. Since it pierces the plant to feed, it causes spotting, distortion and a pathway for disease.
Producing four to six generations each year in Asia, this stink bug graciously limits itself to one generation annually in our climate. It hasn’t proven itself a serious pest here – at least to crops. But, it has been spotted in Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and New Jersey and is being watched closely by both growers and scientists.
How do stink bugs get inside your home? Most of them sneak in through tiny cracks around doors and windows. So, grab your caulk gun and seal around your window and door trim. Fill cracks under and behind baseboards and around exhaust fans or lights in the ceiling. Repair or replace any damaged screens. A stink bug’s body looks chubby, but it is soft and can squeeze through a very small opening. So, seal up your home and reap the benefits of a bug-free zone and lower heating bills.
What should you do with the stink bugs you find, both dead and alive? You can toss them outside, where the freezing temperatures will kill them or vacuum up a few if you are squeamish. However, if you vacuum up many of them, toss the bag into the trash

afterward. Otherwise, you will find out why they are called stink bugs. Their smell when squashed or gathered in numbers is quite unpleasant.
Don’t spray insecticides inside your home to combat stink bugs. Most insecticides don’t work against stink bugs and none are safe to use inside your home. There are a few insecticides that can be applied in the fall outside your home to kill stink bugs. However, they only last a few days and won’t kill the many stink bugs that will be around long after you spray.
Stink bugs stink. Like the Japanese beetle and other invasive insects, they were introduced by accident, have few predators and fewer controls. Fortunately, they aren’t harmful, just pesky, the perfect test of our ability to “take the bad with the good.”
Annette Ipsan is the Extension Educator for Horticulture and the Master Gardener program in Washington County for the University of Maryland Cooperative Extension. She can be reached weekdays by telephone at 301-791-1604 or by e-mail at aipsan@umd.edu.
This column first appeared in the Herald-Mail on February 6, 2007.

Vern

Yo Vern!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:05pm PST 
Dis sounds like da same bug dat Sedona cutie pie's mama was fighting against a year ago or so. She said dey really stink, and dey was coming in trough cracks.

Bet dats dem. We'll see what Sedona sweetie pie says about dis. I tink it is... See what her mama did to get rid of dem shrugshrug

Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:28pm PST 
STINK BUGS?!!! eekeekeek

*typist/momma faints*

*revives for a quick second to say....*

OH, they are CHINESE, btw! The Japanese are innocent of bringing those grotesque creatures here to the USA! It's the CHINESE! eekeekeek

*faints ...AGAIN* eekeekeek

Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:50pm PST 
shockconfusedthinkingsilenced
I hate to tell yew, but yew AWE gonna be ON stage....Awlex AND Nikki! humpf! way to go

AWLEX and NIKKI! get up on stage, cutie pies! laugh out loud

thinkingthinkingthinking
Awlex,
I want yew to pweetend to be taking yeowe pet big laughbig laughbig laugh) to da vet! way to go

Nikki...yew will play da Vet! way to go

Gib me BIGGGG dwaaaamaaaah! GO! way to gocheerway to go

Patrick

Sooo Cute!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:59pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplause
congratulations Bailey for guessing the answer to the cookie quiz/game--
that guessing game lasted a really long timeapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

EWWWW-we don't like those stink bugs-eekeekeek

Alex CGC,- TD

I`m cute and I- know it

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:30pm PST 
But Miss Sedona I already did my audition. GEESH !! Why do I have to do anther one ?? shrugshrugshrugshrug

BTW mommy has killed lots of dem stinky bugs and they is supposed to smell real bad but she can't smell them . Then again she can't smell much like when you go to the foo foo shop unless they been giving perms all day she can't smell nothing but yet she knows when us furs are stinky she don't miss a beat with that one. BOL big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Nikki My- Sweet Angel

My eyes say it- all

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:34pm PST 
Nikki trys to get up on stage and just can't do ti. Miss Sedona may i please ask for some steps or a ladder. My hip be bothering me today. Stoopid Arthur being a pest. I not know what you goign to expect me to do in the play. shrugshrugshrug I'm just not a drama dog. That Alex thing. I'd rather be behind the scenes. meditatemeditatemeditatemeditate

Bailey NWD

Bailey- Blinkerson- Eskiwowow Raiman

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:37pm PST 
Thanks for my trophy Miss Sedona1 cloud 9relieved

I was sure of the Samoas and the Trefoils but had to find the third one!big grin

I think we have a couple of those stink bugs too in our house. Mom has seen two so far!shock

We just googled them and those ugly bugs are not what we have. Ours are not that ugly and they are not shaped as much like a shield and they have a little orange on them.

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '12 4:39pm PST

Hannah

Love is- patient.....

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:24am PST 
Woooooooohooooooo! I am so glad to hear Bailey finally guessed the right cookies for the cookie game. Now Tom Boy and I can put these down.*Hannah puts hers and Tom Boy's picket signs in the closet.* way to go

Congratulations, Bailey!!!cheercheercheercheer

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 6:25am PST

Ciao-Li

Hannah's- Valentine

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:30am PST 
Good morning, everyone! wave

Hannah hug kissing You want to help me ring the bell? wink

Archie, Star, Skye and I will do whatever we can to help with the skool pageant. way to go We just hope the typist has a slow day at work the day of. thinking

(Page 2378 of 2531: Viewing entries 23771 to 23780)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  2373  2374  2375  2376  2377  2378  2379  2380  2381  2382  2383  [Last 10 entry]