* Tessa's Tips* Share Yours!

(Page 6 of 37: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]  
Shelby

Ready to go!

Purred: Wed Feb 4, '09 9:27am PST 
You are doing a great job, Tessacheer

I used to reverse sneeze a lot. It helps to have a calm environment when this happens. Mom and dad, just calm me down..."easy".

sara- Feb1993-July- 2009

BAN STUPID- PEOPLE NOT- BULLIES !!!!

Purred: Wed Feb 4, '09 9:47am PST 
A friend who shows dogs told mom this trick .....if you have a dog who slides on tile or hardwood nightly apply BAG BALM to paw pads . Bag Balm can be purchase at many Petsmarts or any FEED type supply store . Mom rubs on my paw pads and then a little on top of my feet only so I will lick this instead of licking BB of my pads .......I don't slide any more cheercheercheer

Bag Balm is also great for cracked pads hamster dancehamster dancehamster dance

Vaseline may work just as well .....it seems that keeping the pads moisturized gives more traction ...it soaks in really quick . Mom does it when we are really sleepy so we won't walk around till it soaks in way to go

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Wed Feb 4, '09 1:01pm PST 
Shelby, I'm glad to there that calming works for you. Mom will try that on Fitz, he does this several time a day, but the vet isn't worried about it.

way to goI've heard that Bag Balm is really great stuff! People even use it for their hands.

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 11:47am PST 
FEBRUARY 5, 2009

Can't get to the market today, but I hope to purchase a small tin of Bag Balm tomorrow and post a little about this much-used product that has been around since 1899!

Shelby

Ready to go!

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 5:15pm PST 
Mom actually touches me when I reverse sneeze and holds me. I stop as soon as she calms me. I usually only do it when I get extra crazy excited. I learned aboug getting calm from some small doggies that visited me last year. I didn't even know what a reverse sneeze was. It is scary for humans to hear...so it is important for the humans to be calm.

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 4:41am PST 
Since you told us about calming for reverse sneezing, Shelby, Fitz has only had bouts lasting a few seconds, over before Mom has a chance to see if calming helps him. She's ready for him with the idea, though!

EmmaJean

Luvin Life

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 5:12am PST 
applauseapplauseapplause Great article about Bag Balm....though we live in FL ...and don't deal with the cold as you northerns do...we do have a winter time.......and FL is normally so humid..that our cooler temps really are a drastic change...and we're always licking our paws...mine are really cracked...so we'll try that Tessa...thanks...

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 5:23am PST 
FEBRUARY 7, 2009 - BAG BALM

While doing the grocery shopping, I had planned on buying a small tin of Bag Balm. The only supply in our town was a 10 oz. tin at $9.39. To expensive just to find out what it smells like! Even just a few years ago, Mom saw this product in more stores. Housing developments are destroying farms and farmland and a lot of good things are being lost. Wish humans would stop their own overbreeding.

Back to an overview of Bag Balm:

It is a soothing, healing ointment that has been manufactured by a small company since 1899. The green, square tin it comes in is delightful, featuring a cow and red clover design. If you can get all of the product out, it's great for storing nails, screws, etc.

This product contains only three ingredients: 8-Hydroxyquinoline, lanolin and petroleum. 8-Hydroxyquinoline has antiseptic and disinfectant properties. Lanolin is secreted by the sebaceous glands of sheep and extracted from their sheared wool. Freshly sheared wool can contain 5-25 percent lanolin. Lanolin is soothing, hypoallergenic and bacteriostatic. Both the lanolin and the petroleum help seal wounds to keep out germs and dirt. Some people prefer it over Neosporin, claiming it works just as well and costs less.

Some of the uses of this product are:
chapped skin from outdoor sports
rough feet and hands
cuts
post-tatoo ointment
hangnails
lip gloss
softening fingertips for office workers handling alot of paper
crafter and sewers little nicks
and the original reason that this product was mentioned:
Cracked Paws

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 7:34am PST 
This is a crosspost from the Yahoo group Peaceable Paws. We can all use a good laugh!

"""""Do Dogs (Canis familiaris) Seek Help in an Emergency? Krista Macpherson and
William A. Roberts, Journal of Comparative Psych, vol. 120, no. 2 (2006)

Abstract:
The question of whether dogs recognize an emergency and understand the need
to seek help from a bystander was tested in two experiments. In the first
experiment, dogs’ owners feigned a heart attack in an open field, and in the
second experiment, dogs’ owners experienced an accident in which a bookcase
fell on them and pinned them to the floor. In these experiments, one or two
bystanders were available to which dogs could go for help. The dogs’
behavior was taped for 6 min after the owner had fallen and was later scored
for the frequency and time the dogs spent performing different behaviors. In
no case did a dog solicit help from a bystander. It is concluded that dogs
did not understand the nature of the emergency or the need to obtain help.

The full text can be gotten through the New York Public Library, so if you are a
member you can get it through NYPL's access to EBSCO Host.
AT LEAST, IF YOU CAN STOP LAUGHING LONG ENOUGH!"""""

Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 3:37pm PST 
Thanks for the article and info on reverse sneezing! Shadow does this on occassion and it's really quite disturbing to watch. The first time he did it I TOTALLY freaked out thinking he was choking! Now I know that it really isn't anything to be too concerned about!

(Page 6 of 37: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  [Last 10 entry]