* Tessa's Tips* Share Yours!

(Page 3 of 37: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Purred: Thu Jan 29, '09 5:44pm PST 
Mom is definately going to have to print out that list! Mom didn't know that there were that many OTC human drugs that us puppers could have!

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 8:33am PST 
Converseley, the human medicine cabinet can contain POISON, so BEWARE. This is a list of a few bads from the ASPCA:

NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammitory drugs), like ibuprofen and naproxen. The most common cause of pet poisoning in small animals.

Anitdepressants - certain types can lead to serotonin syndrome, a condition marked by seizures, tremors,vocalization, disorientation, elevated heart rate, blood pressure and temperature, agitation.

Acetaminophen - also known as Tylenol, Panadol and Paracetamol, etc., can damage red blood cells and interfere with the bodies ability to transport oxygen. Can cause liver damage.

Methylphenidate (for ADHD) - can dangerously raise heart rate, blood pressure and temperature and cause seizures.

Fluorouracil - anticancer drug, can be rapidly fatal, even when pet chews discarded cotton swabs used to apply the medicine.

Isoniazid - used agains tuberculosis, can cause rapid onset of seizures that may lead to death.

Pseudoephedrine - in OTC decongestants is a stimulant that can cause elevated heart rate, blood pressure and temperature and can cause seizures.

Anti-diabetics - such as glipizide and glyburide, can cause a major drop in blood sugar levels pet, symptoms include disorientation, seizures and lack of coordination.

Vitamin D derivatives - Even small exposures to vit. D analogues (similar but different chemical structure) like calcipotriene and calcitriol can cause life-threatening spikes in blood calcium levels in pets. Clinical signs of exposure are vomiting, loss of appetite, increased urination and thirst due to kidney failure. Signs often don't occur for more than after 24 hours of ingestion.

Baclofen - a muscle relaxant, can lead to seizures, coma and death. Symptoms are depression, disorientation, vocalization.

Edited by author Fri Jan 30, '09 8:35am PST

♥- Tucker- ♥

GSPs Rock!

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 11:36am PST 
Tessa - Your lists are perfect and soooo helpful! Thank you! applauseapplause

Shelby

Ready to go!

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 4:53pm PST 
Thanks TessacheerI need some tips to help my new cousin. She was just adopted, and it looks like her front teeth are really worn down. Maybe she tried to chew herself to freedomshrug She is probably only 2 years. We are worred she needs stuff to chew, but shouldn't chew too much.shrugWhat's a pup to do?

SUNNI

FIGHT BREED - SPECIFIC - LEGISLATION

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:16pm PST 
The front teeth are not as big of a deal as the larger teeth .....we have had many rescues with the same problem .....as long as canines and molars look good , we let dogs chew as normal ......Snowball is much older than 2 yrs , but her front teeth top and bottom are totally worn down ....she still loves to chew same as everyone else and has no trouble with raw bones . That is my experience .

She could always chew things like bullies or rawhides than do very little wearing of the teeth . A lot of rescues chew rocks or have chewed fencing trying to escape ....hence the nubs in the front crycry

Edited by author Fri Jan 30, '09 6:18pm PST

SNOWBALL

BAN THE DEED NOT- THE BREED

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:20pm PST 
Tessa wavewave

Thank you so much for those two list of does and don't cheercheercheercheer

You are the QUEENhamster dancehamster dancehamster dancehamster dance

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:29pm PST 
shockShelby, your poor cousin. Maybe now with a more stable, caring homelife she won't be so stressed and chew on just anything she can. Like Sunni said bullies and rawhide should be ok for her.

SUNNI

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:34pm PST 
There was a wooferful article in the Whole Dog Journal last year .....I will try to find it and mail or fax to you Shelby wink

Or Tessa may save her WDJ articles on her puter ?shrug

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:40pm PST 
waveHi, Sunni, I save my issues of The Whole Dog Journal, but they are the physical magazines.

SUNNI

Purred: Fri Jan 30, '09 7:10pm PST 
Yes me too ....I need to start downloading them

(Page 3 of 37: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]