The DOG FOOD TEST & General Dog Food Info

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
♥Soph- ie Claire- CGC

I love to be- loved.

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 7:02am PST 
Question on kibble, my daughter feeds Evo red meat kibble and I didn't see it on the list. Does anyone know the score on it?

SUNNI

FIGHT BREED - SPECIFIC - LEGISLATION

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 7:14am PST 
GREAT FOOD cheercheercheercheercheercheercheer

Sure it is 100 or higher....way to goway to goway to go

♥Soph- ie Claire- CGC

I love to be- loved.

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 9:36am PST 
OK, the training facility where we buy our Natural Balance sent us a letter saying that NB had reformulated their food. The owner did not what they have done and he is switching to Canidae. Anyone got any suggestions what we should do or where to research this?
I am now giving them kibble with 1 spoonful of pure pumkin and a little warm water for breakfast. Evening meal consists of kibble, with a spoonful of Evo canned, spoonful of blederized veggies with salmon oil and warm water to wet the kibble.

Shelby

Ready to go!

Purred: Wed Feb 25, '09 6:32pm PST 
Hi Sofie C.! I am currently eating the dry EVO red meat dry and I am about to do a rotation to Orijen. We are going to try and work with the ratation theory. I will do a slow switch to make sure I adjust. I am also a little sensitive and only eat no grain. I am a no grain pup. EVO rates really high, sorry I have not done the real math number, but is has all the high quality marks. I believe we have another dog food thread that also has some good suggestions. I will try to locate it. Seems like I remember Canid ....that the owner reommended (Sp?)....had a recall recently. I think Fitz told me about that? Emma J and I believe Zoey eat NBallance. We should let them know.

♥Soph- ie Claire- CGC

I love to be- loved.

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 4:05am PST 
Thanks Shelby! Mom doesn't want to change us till she finds out for sure that Canidae is ok! She is thinking also of changing us to Evo red meat. That is what our furniece eats.

Fitzcairn

Where's the- Ball?! Throw- the ball!!!

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 7:15am PST 
Ma just Googled this about Canidae and the switch from rice to barley, etc., in their formula which could explain gastrointestinal upsets.

Quote:

Lawsuits On the Trail of Nutro, Canidae Pet Foods
Pet owners' complaints of death, illness headed for court

By Jon Hood
ConsumerAffairs.com

February 12, 2009
News
• More Pet Foods Added to Salmonella Recall
• Lawsuits On the Trail of Nutro, Canidae Pet Foods
• FDA Halts Illegally Medicated Animal Feed
• Pet Owners Warned about Chicken Jerky Products
• Mars Extends Pet Food Recall; More Salmonella Found
• Mars Recalls Cat Food Sold at Wal-Mart due to Salmonella
• Hartz Recalls Rawhide Chips After Possible Salmonella Contamination
• Pet Owners Eligible For $24 Million in Landmark Melamine Settlement
• Internet Rumor Claims Cocoa Mulch Causes Dog Deaths
• Mars Recalls More Pet Food; Possible Salmonella Contamination
• Mars Petcare Recalls Some Pedigree Dog Food
• Expert Finds Unexplained Pet Deaths 'Not Consistent'
• Illness, Death Dog Nutro Pet Food
• Feds Raid PETCO Warehouse in Illinois
• Pet Owners Not Thrilled with Poison Food Settlement
• CDC Links 2006 Salmonella Outbreak to Dog Food
• FDA Orders Illinois Pet Food Maker to Clean Up Its Act
• String of Illnesses Afflicts NUTRO-Fed Pets
---
• More about Pet Food Recalls ...

Two separate law firms are gathering information for potential class action lawsuits against Canidae and Nutro, the pet food manufacturers whose products are alleged to have caused widespread pet illness.

Progressive Law Group, LLC, is currently gathering information from pet owners who say their dogs became sick as a result of eating Canidae products, or who have information that would be useful to the suit.

According to its website, the firm focuses mainly on environmental, energy, and consumer affairs issues. More information about the Canidae suit can be found online.

Meanwhile, the Alabama firm of McCallum, Hoaglund, Cook, and Irby is gathering information for a potential class action lawsuit against the company that manufactures Nutro.

In spite of widespread complaints of pet illness, Canidae has yet to issue a voluntary recall of its foods. Last year, the company issued a statement explaining that it had changed the food’s formulation and that pets needed to be transitioned gradually from the old to the new formula.

Specifically, the company cited the new food’s “increased levels of meat protein” and the “increased overall complex carbohydrate quality.”

However, angry consumers said Canidae was at best inconsistent in warning pet owners beforehand of the need for the gradual formula transition. Many claimed that neither the food nor the shelves on which it was stocked provided any warning that the formula had changed.

Some consumers have speculated that the new formula, which contains carbohydrates such as corn and barley, came as a shock to their dogs’ systems, which had become accustomed to the old formula’s more rice-centered composition. In September 2007, a lab report allegedly showed that a Canidae sample contained the painkiller acetaminophen, a charge which Canidae vehemently denied.
Unquote

Fitzcairn

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 7:19am PST 
Another Google about Canidae:

Quote:
Lawsuits On the Trail of Nutro, Canidae Pet Foods
EmailFeb-12-09 12:22pm
Two separate law firms are gathering information for potential class action lawsuits against Canidae and Nutro, the pet food manufacturers whose products are alleged to have caused widespread pet illness.

Progressive Law Group, LLC, is currently gathering information from pet owners who say their dogs became sick as a result of eating Canidae products, or who have information that would be useful to the suit.

According to its website, the firm focuses mainly on environmental, energy, and consumer affairs issues. More information about the Canidae suit can be found online.

Meanwhile, the Alabama firm of McCallum, Hoaglund, Cook, and Irby is gathering information for a potential class action lawsuit against Menu Foods, the company that manufactures Nutro.

In spite of widespread complaints of pet illness, Canidae has yet to issue a voluntary recall of its foods. Last year, the company issued a statement explaining that it had changed the food’s formulation and that pets needed to be transitioned gradually from the old to the new formula.

Specifically, the company cited the new food’s “increased levels of meat protein” and the “increased overall complex carbohydrate quality.”

However, angry consumers said Canidae was at best inconsistent in warning pet owners beforehand of the need for the gradual formula transition. Many claimed that neither the food nor the shelves on which it was stocked provided any warning that the formula had changed.

Some consumers have speculated that the new formula, which contains carbohydrates such as corn and barley, came as a shock to their dogs’ systems, which had become accustomed to the old formula’s more rice-centered composition. In September 2007, a lab report allegedly showed that a Canidae sample contained the painkiller acetaminophen, a charge which Canidae vehemently denied.

Menu Foods, which makes Nutro, was forced to issue a series of recalls in 2007, after scores of dogs became sick, some experiencing kidney failure. At least 10 deaths were reported. The Pet Food Products Safety Alliance (“PFPSA”) tested a batch of Nutro pet food in August 2008, and found alarming levels of copper and zinc.

Indeed, PFPSA noted that the copper levels were two to three times higher than recommended by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (“AAFCO”).
Unquote

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Sun Mar 29, '09 5:15am PST 
eekWow, this is a new one on me! I went to Google to find what it meant exactly, but decided not to wade through dozens of pages of fineprint agricultural regulations.

Posted by a K9Nutrition member:
"I am so disturbed by what I found on a box of Blue Ridge raw food product. The box states, "inedible beef decharacterized by charcoal". Can someone tell me what this means and what is means for my pets??!!"

posted by another member:
"It means that it is inedible to humans, and someone was obliged to put the charcoal in there to keep it out of the human food supply. I wouldn't want to feed it to my pets."eek

Here are two more post from K9Nutrition on this subject:

Q. Why does the raw meat product have charcoal in it?

A.
The transporting of unprocessed, fresh whole organ/meat items to be used for pet food is regulated by the compliance division of the USDA. As a means of denaturing these products (i.e. distinguishing from human foods), it is mandatory to mix something harmless, but easy to identify, into the mix.
Throughout the U.S., the use of charcoal, an inert totally harmless organic substance (often used as a digestive aid for animals), is the most widely used and accepted of the options available. As all of our product formulas include finely ground bone (humans cannot digest, but a necessary dietary and easily digestible ingredient for dogs/cats; and another USDA approved denaturer), the light dusting of charcoal is all that is needed during flash freezing and movement to our manufacturing area.
USDA and FDA regulations are designed to prevent all pet food manufacturers from claiming their products are of "human grade" quality, but these laws are not always adhered to. You will find labels claiming human grade quality on the pet food shelves, even today. U.S. government agencies, and truth in labeling laws, do not ensure compliance.
Contrary to profit driven, irresponsible pet food companies, AFS chooses legal compliance. (Pet food manufacturing and labeling regulations were established to prevent misguided, low income groups from using pet products as a more affordable food source.)
I found this on AFS - real food for pets -- very interesting. ...
UNQUOTE

QUOTE:
While it is true that "fresh whole organ/meat items" that have NOT
been APPROVED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION must be identified/denatured this
way, not all raw food companies use food that is not fit for human
consumption in their products.

If you are using food that has been inspected and approved for human
consumption, there are no such regulations about its transportation.
There are regulations about how human food can be transported but that
is a separate issue.

It is also true that dog food cannot be labeled "human grade" in the
main title(with the exception of Honest Kitchen, who went to court,
sued and WON the right to do so because that is exactly what is in
their foods) it IS perfectly acceptable/legal to identify that your
products are made from ingredients that have been approved for human
consumption. (assuming that this is truthful).

For AFS to wrap their crappy ingredients in a cloak of legal
"compliance" is disingenuous to say the least. If the food was fit for
human consumption it would not need to have been denatured in any way
at all. It is interesting that they describe their nasty potion as
"unprocessed, fresh whole organ/meat items" making it sound like what
we would expect in a quality food - right up until they mention "to be
used for pet food" meaning, it was never human quality food to start
with.
UNQUOTE

Edited by author Mon Mar 30, '09 9:02am PST

Fitzcairn

Purred: Sun Mar 29, '09 10:10am PST 
For anypup wanting to know how much EFAs in Grizzly Oil by bottle size/per pump:

Skin and Coat
Grizzly Salmon Oil helps keep your dog or cat's skin healthy! Healthy skin generally results in less itching and less shedding. The health condition of your dog or cat's skin and coat is influenced by the contents and balance of fatty acids in the diet. The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in the diet of your dog or cat is important in order to avoid degenerative conditions like hot spots, a dull coat and inflamed, dry and itchy skin. Scientific research supports the optimum ratio of fatty acids in the range of 1:3 to 1:6 (omega-3:omega-6). Grizzly Salmon Oil has a ratio of approximately 8:1 (omega-3: omega-6) and is thus ideally suited for bringing commonly seen ratios in generic and premium dog and cat foods of between 1:10 and 1:20 in line with the target ratio of around 1hi5.

4 oz & 8 oz Bottles Dispense These Amounts Per Pump:
DHA - 166 mg
EPA - 147 mg
Omega-3 - 478 mg
Omega-6 - 55 mg

16 oz & 32 oz Bottles Dispense These Amounts Per Pump:
DHA - 210 mg
EPA - 300 mg
Omega-3 - 925 mg
Omega-6 - 100 mg

Bottle Size Pump Volume Approximate Pumps
4 oz 0.07 oz 57 per bottle
8 oz 0.07 oz 114 per bottle
16 oz 0.12 oz 133 per bottle
32 oz 0.12 oz 267 per bottle

Ingredients: Salmon oil, Rosemary extract

Nutritional Content Per 100g:
Energy 3750 kJ/890 kcal
Crude Protein 0g
Crude Fat 99g
Crude Ash 0g

Tessa

You may- approach.

Purred: Mon Mar 30, '09 9:14am PST 
I went back to my previous post and edited in more more about charcoal in dog food ingredients.

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8