I Can't Hear You! (Deafness)

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spot- (1994-2010)

I'll get through- this!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 10:24am PST 
Hi fellow Olde Furts!
I just wanted some advice, and was amazed we don't have a thread about this yet! Seems common.

My humans think I may be deaf. (Or that I have "selective hearing loss.") But in either case, is anyone else deaf too? Is there anything I should worry about in going deaf?

And do I need to rush to the V-E-T? (Paws crossed no... I HATE that guy! One chopped off my leg once!)

Purrs and love-
Spot

Strangelove- (1988-2006)

Queen of the- cats!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 12:25pm PST 
Deafness can be a sign of high blood pressure, especially if it comes on fairly quickly. Another sign of very high blood pressure in cats is yowling (assuming you are normally a cat that doesn't yowl normally).

So its worth a trip to the vet to get your blood pressure checked - they just put a little mini inflatable cuff around your tail so its not painful.

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 2:03pm PST 
Crikey! I knew high blood pressure could make you go suddenly blind but didn't know it could cause deafness, too. shock Thanks for that info, Strangelove.

I only had my blood pressure taken once, but they shaved a small spot on my back leg and put the tiny cuff there, instead of my tail -- for whatever reason. It didn't hurt at all.

To avoid "white-coat syndrome" when I had my blood pressure taken, Mom arranged to take me in when there were no other patients or people there to frighten me and I wouldn't have to wait around getting nervous. (It was a surgery day and other patients weren't being seen.) They took me into a room right away and didn't do any other exam or anything to frighten me. They let Mom and Dad go along. Mom petted me and let me hide my head in my blankie she had brought along just for that, and I calmed down fairly well so they could get good readings.

Don't be scairt if you need to have your blood pressure checked, Spot.
hug

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 2:24pm PST 
The other thing I was going to say is that your humans will need to watch out for you even more carefully than they already do.

I don't think you go outside, Spot, but that would be a definite no-no without supervision. Don't you go escaping again, either!

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Tue Jan 6, '09 3:13pm PST 
I went deaf a few years ago, but I don't think it was from high blood pressure - I get my blood pressure checked often and it's always normal. When they check my blood pressure they use my back leg or front leg. I think my tail is too fluffy!

Spot- (1994-2010)

I'll get through- this!

Purred: Thu Jan 8, '09 7:40am PST 
Thank you, Olde Furts! You kitties really are the best.

My Secretary sent all your messages to my Man & Woman. They called my Vet yesterday to get his opinion. He had them do a few snaps at me & stuff like that, and decided that I might be a little hard of hearing, but not completely deaf! He said it also sounds like a gradual thing, so he's not too worried. I'm just old!

And as a side note; apparently he's done a few full cardio workups on me before! When I had my leg amputated, When I had my teeth cleaned last, and about ten years ago when a guest vet thought they heard a heart murmur on me! (It proved to be me purring, not a murmur.)

So great news for me: No vet visit!!!! He said if it gets worse to bring me in, but otherwise just let me rest my olde furt bones! Yeahhh! This is like party time, in Spotty world! I avoided the Vet!

hamster dance

Purrs and love- Spot!

Squirt

loving & pet me

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 1:20pm PST 
Hi. My mom noticed I was having trouble hearing her when she came home from work. She noticed that I no longer met her at the door and I was sleeping soundly in my chair. When she woke me up I thought it was my pesky brother Nudnic bothering me again so I hissed at her. When i realized it was mom I said oh it's you ok. This was about 3 years ago. It happened so gradually she didn't know I was loosing my hearing. I am strictly an indoor cat and only goes outside on a leash when mom sits on the front porch.

Edgar ~- Precious- Angel

Wake me when- it's time to- eat!

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 10:12pm PST 
*bump*

I'm sorry Squirt, I don't know anything about deafness, but I wanted to put this thread back up on the main page so if we have any members who do they might see it.

Welcome to Olde Furts!

Strangelove- (1988-2006)

Queen of the- cats!

Purred: Fri Jun 12, '09 10:36pm PST 
Squirt, sorry to hear about the deafness. It's good you are an inside cat as you'll be safe and don't have to worry about not hearing traffic or dogs. Have you learned to live with it now or do you still have issues?

Edited by author Fri Jun 12, '09 10:37pm PST

Squirt

loving & pet me

Purred: Sat Jun 13, '09 5:21am PST 
Deafness is just part of my life it happened so slowly that it became normal. There is nothing wrong with my nose. When mom has food I am right there demanding some.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2