Follow up on Group Lesson 1

Mittens

Purrr Machine

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 10:29pm PST 
Ok, while this may seem a no brainier for you cats who can meow fluently in German, for the beginners, I thought it'd be fun to translate in English here to see how much we knew and to discuss sentence structure, etc.,?

Nikko

I like kisses!

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 6:46pm PST 
Ok, MIttens. That sounds good.What can I do to help?

Mittens

Purrr Machine

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 9:42pm PST 
I guess what we could do is post (copy+ paste) threads from the lesson 1, and then try and translate and then have you guys help or explain where we went wrong? That's what I was thinking...

Boogers

Tiki Cat should- be illegal, it's- so GOOD

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 10:07pm PST 
Princess said:
"Wie ist Sonntag fur jemand? Es schneit hier. Ich liebe dieses Schnee aufpaBen. I liebe meines Mausspielzeug, meines Futter und Queenie sehr. Ich bin eine Gluckliche Katze."

Now obviously, if I looked up each word I could figure it out... But without doing that, what we did first was try to translate it based on what LITTLE we know. We've read that German words are sometimes similar to English ones. I forget the term they used, but like how katze sorta looks like the word "cat", or Je is like "yes" (they are the same, but you know what I mean?)

SO with Princess' post. Ich bin eine Gluckliche Katze, we figured it said I am a night owl cat? Because Katze=cat, and we think of Mozarts Eina Kleina Muzika (spelling??) is something about night music.

Ok, does this make sense?

Princess

'the kitten'

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 11:14pm PST 
Princess said:
"Wie ist Sonntag fur jemand? Es schneit hier. Ich liebe dieses Schnee aufpaBen. I liebe meines Mausspielzeug, meines Futter und Queenie sehr. Ich bin eine Gluckliche Katze." I forgot to put the translation in. It says: "How is Sunday for everyone? It is snowing her. I love watching the snow. I love my mouse toy, my food and Queenie very much. I am a very lucky cat."

Now obviously, if I looked up each word I could figure it out... But without doing that, what we did first was try to translate it based on what LITTLE we know. We've read that German words are sometimes similar to English ones. I forget the term they used, but like how katze sorta looks like the word "cat", or Je is like "yes" (they are the same, but you know what I mean?) 'yep Katze means cat. I love the word 'Katze.'

SO with Princess' post. Ich bin eine Gluckliche Katze, we figured it said I am a night owl cat? Because Katze=cat, and we think of Mozarts Eina Kleina Muzika (spelling??) is something about night music. 'You are thinking of Eine Kleine NachtMusik ( a litte night music). This is one of my favorite Mozart compostions btw. '

I have dabbled in German for years so I came here to converse and keep practicing. I have no one to speak to on a daily basis so I thought it would be good to speak to beginners and seasoned German speakers in here.

It is good to be here and share our knowledge of the wonderful German language.

Ok, does this make sense?

Tiskers ~- 8/26/07-9/12- /13

Love Bug!

Purred: Tue Mar 4, '08 1:16pm PST 
Totally princess!

And forgive my stupidity? But in the Lesson 1 thread, Sawyer dude said:

"Gesundheit" Ok, how did I miss that THAT is a german word! MOL! I always figured it was just a saying for "bless you" MOL! But it means Health no? big laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh