Favorite German Food and Recipes!

Bellsnickles

Nap while you- can

Purred: Sun Jan 6, '08 8:23pm PST 
I love Rippchen. It is basically pork and sauerkraut and potatoes. Mom can keep the sauerkraut I love the pork. That is why I am porkly. Mau hahahahha

Horus

Let us do first- things first

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 10:43am PST 
Hallo Ihr Lieben!

Vielen Dank für die Einladung! Ich freue mich riesig dabei hier zu sein!

Also meine Lieblingsgerichte in Deutschland ist der Wienerschnitzel, oder die Schnizel Jägerart, oder der Rehragout, oder Der Cordon Bleu oder... sagt Ihr EINE?

Und das Alles hat mir zum Appetit gebracht... also ich gücke Mal nach was auf mein Teller Steht! Bis Später Schätzen!

PS: translation
Hello you darlings!

Many thanks for the invite. I am incredibly happy to be part of it.
My favorite food in Germany is the "Wienerschnitzel" (Breaded Veal Cutlets), or a Schnitzel Jägerart (Veal Cutlets with a "Hunter-Sauce", which means with mushrooms), or a deer "fricassee" (???), or a Cordon Bleu (a dish prepared with thin slices of meat separated by layers of ham and cheese, and then sauteed), or... did you said ONE?

All this made me hungry, so I am going to check my plate. Catch you later you Cherished ones!
wave

Hondo

FRESH WATER! I- KNEAD- FRESH WATER!

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 11:39pm PST 
Well, we don't like beer here but do like Brauts smile Say, feel free to add recipes to this thread too!

Horus

Let us do first- things first

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '08 11:00am PST 
Rezept! Na gut:

Wienerschnitzel:
The recipe comes from "The German Cookbook" by Mimi Sheraton. I like to serve it with fries and a melody of peas, carrots and corn.

35 min (15 min prep )

4 veal cutlets
1 lemon
salt, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening (more might be needed depending on the size of your pan)

Place veal cutlets, one piece at a time, between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound until thin, about 1/4 inch thick.
Slice lemon in half and squeeze lemon juice over all four pieces of veal.
Allow the veal to sit in lemon juice for 30 minutes.
Allow excess lemon juice to drip off before breading the cutlets.
Sprinkle a pinch of salt over each cutlet.
Place flour in a large shallow plate.
Beat eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a large shallow bowl. ~NOTE~ The vegetable oil helps to hold the breading on securely and to make the breading crisp.
Place breadcrumbs in a large shallow plate.
One at a time, dip salted cutlet into the flour and lightly cover each side with flour.
Then dip the cutlet into the egg mixture, allowing the excess egg to drip off.
Then dredge into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
Place breaded cutlets on a baking sheet and low to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat shortening in a large heavy skillet.
There should be enough oil in the pan for the cutlets to "swim".
When the oil is hot, place one or two cutlets in the skillet at a time, being careful not to crowd the cutlets.
Fry first side slowly until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
Turn cutlets over with a spatula, being careful not to splatter hot oil.
Fry on second side for about 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
If you have more cutlets to fry, then place finished cutlets in a piece of foil and keep warm in the oven at 250°F while you continue to fry up the rest of the cutlets.

Enjoy!

PS: It´s thursday today (=roasted chicken day) so I porked out as usual & now I need to take a nap...

Tschüß Katzenlein!

Luna

No Nonsense

Purred: Sat Jan 19, '08 4:51pm PST 
Wir haben Wienerschnitzel und Jaegerschnitzel auch gern! Und Fleischkaese! Und Bretzeln! Und Kartoffelsalat! Und Spaetzle! Yummy!

We like wienerschnitzel and jagerschitzel too! And Fleischkaese which is kind of like a classy form of bologna. And bread pretzels. And warm German potato salad. And spaetzle, which are fat little noodle things.

Luna & Kingsley