Lyssin for Rabies Vaccinosis?

Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '07 3:26pm PST 
I found this thread in the health forum:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/360079/2

Check the first page. The individual posting seems to suggest a remedy known as Lyssin is an appropriate homeopathic treatment for rabies vaccinosis.

Now, you guys know I'm all knew to homeopathy, but doesn't it seem as though, in general, homeopathic remedies are specific to an individual and her unique set of symptoms?

I didn't think it "worked like that," where you treat x with y, for every individual.

Am I confused, or am I getting this correct?

Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '07 5:34pm PST 
You are totally correct, Mocha. smile

Lyssin is actually the rabies nosode (which means it's made from the actual rabies virus or diseased tissue, though diluted such that it's only the energy left, no physical substance). Lyssin may or may not be the appropriate remedy for an animal with rabies vaccinosis. Some people give it before and/or after the shot as a way to "prevent" vaccinosis, which doesn't actually work as far as I can tell, though some people claim it does.

This is where the difference between classical and non-classical homeopathy comes in. With classical homeopathy, a remedy is always given based on the individual's complete symptom picture. Remedies are not prescribed based on named diseases such as vaccinosis, colds, parvo, whatever. There are certain remedies that tend to work best with certain diseases, however, the only way to get the correct remedy is to take the entire symptom picture into account.

As a totally random example, rabies vaccinosis can manifest as the dog becoming overly aggressive or overly fearful (among other things). These dogs may or may not get the same remedy depending on their other symptoms (and how the vaccinosis symptoms show themselves--time of day, better or worse with different outside factors, etc.) This article explains some of the common symptoms of rabies vaccinosis:

* Restlessness, uneasiness, apprehensiveness and a developing viciousness. This is most apt to be manifested toward strangers.
* Dogs normally affectionate may hide away and shun company.
* Dogs normally independent may become unusually attentive and affectionate (an expression of anxiety).
* Desire to travel away from home for long distances.
* If restrained, it will chew viciously on metal chains or anything that is used to restrain or confine it.
* The dog may inflict severe bite wounds on itself.
* Strange cries and hoarse howls (partial paralysis of the vocal cords).
* No interest in food.
* Unable to swallow because of paralysis of muscles of deglutition.
* Eyes staring with dilation of the pupils.
* Unable to close the eyes; cornea becomes dry and dull.
* Hanging down of the lower jaw.
* Swallows pieces of wood, stones, its own fecal material and other foreign bodies.
* Destruction of blankets, towels, clothing.
* Convulsive seizures.
* Muscular incoordination.
* Agonizing pain and constriction in the throat; spasms of the throat.
* Increased sexual desire; satyriasis, nymphomania; attempted rape.
* Inflammation of the heart muscle; disturbed heart function, irregular rhythm, heart rate too slow or too fast; heart failure.
* Periods of excitement and jerky breathing; cluster breathing.

As you can see, that's a long list. Not every animal with rabies vaccinosis will show all these symptoms, and no remedy will cover all of these symptoms either. Plus, what's most important when choosing a remedy are the symptoms that make the patient's case unique (for example, the dog prefers warm spots over cool ones).

I hope this helps some! There are plenty of people who given Lyssin (or Thuja, or some other classic vaccinosis remedy) without thought to the symptoms. It may work in some cases, since it may in fact be the right remedy. But the only way to get good, consistent results is to take into account all symptoms.

Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '07 5:39pm PST 
Oh, and I meant to add, I think people tend to experiment more with these sorts of things because they tend to believe that homeopathy is harmless. Which isn't true. In fact, giving the wrong remedy too often or in too high of a potency can actually change the symptom picture of an animal (the animal basically takes in the energy from the remedy as part of its own disease). And this is often why some people claim that homeopathy didn't work for them--it wasn't practiced properly.

There are, sadly, more bad homeopaths out there than good ones.