Olde Teeth and Dental Care (Consolidated Thread)

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Elsa, - Sweet Angel

Forever Flirt

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 5:19pm PST 
Sissy, I have the same questions! My vet seems in no rush to clean my teeth. Meanwhile, my breath can be bad. (Bless Maximus for putting up with me. He just had his teeth cleaned!) And, meowm thinks to herself "better do it now rather than later, because she'll be that much older later."

Meowm cleans my teeth once in a blue moon, so the gums always bleed. She plans to do it more regularly, but doesn't. I put up with it. McG will not. The kittens are malleable. But she just doesn't get around to cleaning all of our teeth. I wonder why? I think your meowm, Sissy, has a similar situation with plenty of teeth to clean!eek

I, too, would like to know why furts have their teeth cleaned when it may not be medically necessary.

Hugs (without breath!) Elsa

Alaidh - my little- angel

The only real- cat is a grey- cat!

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 5:36pm PST 
I have had my teeth cleaned twice in my life. Once when I was pretty young - Mummy can't remember exactly - and once when I was 16. I had it done because my gums were a little red the second time, but unfortunately it was not done well. I don't think there was any polishing done, so my teeth collected tartar almost right away. *sigh* Mummy really regrets going to that vet.

Anyway, since starting my CET chews, my gums are nice and pink and my breath isn't as bad. Dr. Susanne even commented on it. She doesn't want to clean my teeth now because of my age.

Sissy, you could try the chews! They're yummy!!

(Oh, and Icy, I have all my teeth!)

Elsa, - Sweet Angel

Forever Flirt

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 6:07pm PST 
Alaidh, Where can mom find CET chews? sounds like a great idea! Thanks, Elsa

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 7:06pm PST 
Elsa, you should ask your vet where to get them. I think they're only sold at vets here. Here's a link to them on their website: CET chews

Emily- Felicity,- Precious- Angel

Noisy cat says:- Pet me Neow!

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 7:24pm PST 
Brofur and I have never had our teeth cleaned. Mommy looks at them from time to time (and we both just hate that!) because she claims her "first" kitty, the one and only "precious princess Gabrielle" ( I really get sick of hearing that name let me tell you!) had bad teeth which mommy believes contributed to her early demise. Gabby only lived to be almost 11. But brofur and I have healthy looking gums and my teeth are still pretty white. Edgar, the pig's, teeth are a little yellow.

So, Sissy, if your teeth are bad, your gums are red and your breath is bad, you might want to get a second opinion on teeth cleaning. But mommy does believe, as your vet seems to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Especially since you have to be anesthetized and that is risky for any kitty, even youngsters.

Emily- Felicity,- Precious- Angel

Noisy cat says:- Pet me Neow!

Purred: Sat Jul 12, '08 7:27pm PST 
oops, sorry! I should read more carefully! you said your breath was not bad. If your breath is not bad and your gums are not red your teeth may just be stained. If your teeth are rotting you should have bad breath I think...

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Mon Jul 14, '08 5:34pm PST 
I don't know much about dental care, since I've never had any. A vet first said I needed a cleaning about 3 years ago -- because of grade 3 tartar and gingivitis -- and now Mom wishes she'd done something back then. But I was kind of sick at the time, my other illness seemed more pressing, and Mom was afraid for me. But my kidneys were still okay then.

Now it has advanced to the point where my gums on one side are red, but vets don't want to do anything now because of my kidneys and my age.

Sissy, is your vet saying your teeth are just stained, but no tartar or gingivitis? Perhaps it's not necessary to risk a cleaning then. But Mom wishes I'd had mine taken care of when I still could.

Bear (Best- Cat Ever)- 1992-2008

I'm the Primary- Cat!!!

Purred: Mon Jul 14, '08 11:41pm PST 
Mom wanted to get my teeth cleaned but the vet won't do it because I'm 17 even before the hyperthyroid and CRF issues earlier this year. Mom still wants my teeth cleaned, I have a suprisingly large number of them, but so did John. Fred only had 3 teeth when he died, but he could eat food pretty well that way. I won't let mom clean my teeth. I don't even want her to touch my mouth, especially not to put that nasty pepcid pill in there. I've got one little tooth that's not looking good and some tarter build up, too. Mom is usually pretty good about getting us done every other year or so.

Purred: Tue Jul 15, '08 1:04am PST 
Scooter, my gums were red and sore and my back teeth were covered in tartar before I started eating my CET chews. Now there's no tartar and my gums are pink and healthy looking! Mummy actually picked off the tartar from one side, but it just fell away like nothing. I know you don't like treats, but maybe you'd like the freeze-dried fish? If not, there's a CET rinse that can be squirted into your mouth. Maybe you can ask your vet about it.

Of course, just because they worked for me, doesn't mean they'll work for you. I still eat dry food, so my back teeth still get a workout.

Minxy- (1987-2008)

Queen of the- Rainbow Bridge

Purred: Fri Jul 18, '08 10:28pm PST 
I don't have any teeth left but my younger sisters have had a "hand scaling" at the vets to remove the tartar build up on their teeth. They didn't have to go under anesthetic just got a seditive like kitty valium then the vet and the vet techs did their teeth with the same kind of tools the dental hygenist uses at a human dentist. Not all vets do it but its worth asking around to find one who will.

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6