Voicelessness

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cookie (Olde- Dirty- Angelman)

I'm the O.G.,- mofo

Purred: Mon Dec 4, '06 4:05am PST 
I have almost completely lost my voice in my old age, and I was wondering if that happened to any of you guys. It was gradual: first, my meow got squeaky at the very end of the actual meow, then it turned into a full-on squeak, then voicelessness followed by a little squeak, and now, no voice unless I'm in the car. Then I'll squeak for you. Normally I open my mouth, and I annunciate the meow, but it just comes out as a voiceless 'heh.' My face has gotten more expressive, though, so everyone knows what I mean, voice or not. Did this ever happen to anyone else, or just me?

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Mon Dec 4, '06 6:47am PST 
No, I haven't lost any of my Siamese voice. It's still going strong. smile

Has your mom ever asked your vet about it?

I'm the O.G.,- mofo

Purred: Mon Dec 4, '06 8:17pm PST 
Yeah, and he says it's rare, but it's not bad or abnormal. Also, I can't really purr. I just make a very light grumbling sound, if you put your ear to my belly. I don't get that full-on vibration thing anymore, and no real noise to it either. Oreo's loud enough for both of us, though. Siamese kitties are known for their yowls. I guess you let everyone know when you need attention, huh, Scooter? I just go get people, in case they forget that, hey, it's food time, or hey, it's lap time now.

Baby (Dec.- 1987-Dec.- 2007)

Wingin' It

Purred: Tue Dec 5, '06 1:15pm PST 
I am louder than ever....and twice as cranky! MOL
But that may be a Meezer thing, right Scootie?

Scooter ~- Our Angel

Purred: Tue Dec 5, '06 4:10pm PST 
Same here, Baby. We're probably the loudest, but we're surely not the only cranky ones, are we?

Yep, Cookie, I sure let it be known when I need attention -- or food, or held, or play time, or outside time. I have a yowl for everything -- even a litterbox yowl. smile

Boomer- 10/30/1972 - 2/20/1996

World\'s best- kitty, Queen of- the house.

Purred: Wed Dec 6, '06 10:07pm PST 
My kitty Boomer lost her voice after having her thyroid out. They damaged a nerve for her voice box. She purred this high pitched grinding noise, but no meows. She was like that for 6 years until she died.

Boomer's Mom

Scooter ~- Our Angel

Purred: Thu Dec 7, '06 9:49am PST 
My goodness! Boomer had an operation when she was about 17? That's just amazing. Looking at her photos, she looks the same at 2 and 22 -- beautiful! I'll bet she had no trouble letting you know what she wanted, even without being able to meow.

I'm the O.G.,- mofo

Purred: Fri Dec 8, '06 6:06am PST 
Scooter and Baby, you guys got more tempermental in your old age? I chilled out a ton. I used to be a bitch and kind of aloof, but now I love anyone, as long as they love me back (which everyone does of course, if only out of respect for my age - almost 20). I'm so easygoing now, but definately more needy in terms of receiving attention. I've only become a hardcore lap cat in my old age. Now, whenever mom is at her computer, i get up on her lap. I come to her, meow silently, and she pats her lap, and score. lap time. I guess I'm so spoiled that there's no need to be tempermental. I get what i want (which consists of food and attention) because I'm the king.

Scooter ~- Our Angel

Purred: Sat Dec 9, '06 4:59am PST 
Cookie, I've mellowed in a lot of ways, too -- very much like you, more loving and affectionate, though I've always been a lovey cat to Mom in particular. I AM cranky about some things, though. I'm not very tolerant of noise anymore -- especially if it disturbs one of my naps. I give really good "dirty" looks to the offending party. I don't like wrinkles in my blankets, though I don't mind sleeping outdoors on rocks! I've been known to complain when the sun doesn't rise early enough in the day. If it never comes out from behind the clouds, I get downright cranky and depressed (but I've always done that, come to think of it).

And when I want something -- food, love, playtime, whatever -- I want it NOW! Time's wasting -- I start out my demands at full Meezer MRRREEEEOOWWWW, lest someone dare think I'm not serious. I can still ratchet it up a couple more levels if someone doesn't respond within half a second, though. smile It took me some time to get them this well trained, and I intend to enjoy it in my olde age.

BUT, I more than repay with my special brand of "Love, Scooter-Style."

I'm the O.G.,- mofo

Purred: Thu Dec 21, '06 5:32am PST 
That is incredible that Boomer had major surgery at 17. My vet said 2 years ago (when I was 18) that my teeth were really bad, but that he didn't want to clean them because he didn't want to risk me not coming out of anaesthesia. He said the risks were just too high for an Olde Furt like me, but Boomer had thyroid issues, and I just have bad teeth. Not that I'm not tough. I burnt my paw really badly last winter jumping up on the stove. I can jump, but I can't see, so I didn't know it was hot. Now I know to look before you leap. So old guys can totally be survivors. I handled it so well, even when the vet put a hot pink bandage on my paw.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3