GO!

What's up with the Feliway plug-ins?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Purred: Wed Dec 11, '13 7:10pm PST 
We live in Wisconsin with five feline boys and long, cold winters. The main thing keeping peace in the family is the Feliway plug-in; we use three to four of them at a time.
The problem: Occasionally, they overheat and start to smell like ... well, hot Feliway.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any solution, such as soaking and scrubbing the plug-in unit? At about $20 per unit and fluid, keeping the fur-kids calm is getting pricey.
We appreciate any help you can give us.
-- The Two-legger Peacekeepers
Cambridge, WI
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Thu Dec 12, '13 11:53pm PST 
I'm not sure what to suggest except to unplug the diffusers every so often. You could try using the spray during the times the diffusers are unplugged if it seems that the effect is wearing off.
shrug

Aurora

Purred: Fri Dec 13, '13 7:57pm PST 
Contact the company and tell them about the problem and ask them what they advise you to do.
http://www.feliway.com/us
[notify]

Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 3:34am PST 
I haven't had that problem with my Feliway plug in. Definitely try the spray for a while, but contact the company. You may have a defective plug in unit.

If that doesn't work, check your outlet - there may be a problem with it.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '14 4:04pm PST 
I would contact them as well. I have used them before and it never smelled like that.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '14 2:30pm PST 
Definitely call them - When I first started using them, I had one that I had plugged in upside down, and called because it was dripping. (cuz I had it upside down- felt like a dork) anyways, they were so nice & helpful & sent me a new one since the other one was full of the oil. They may send you a new one. Also, they do recommend you replace the unit every 6 months. I wait a bit longer than that, but maybe that is why too.
[notify]